What's your favourite knot ?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

mr dazzler

Native
Aug 28, 2004
uk
clove hitch (#1 fav), reef, round turn 2 half hitches (tying stuff on car roof) and bowline. Also fishermans knot is useful.

SOAR

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 21, 2007
cheshire
Monkeys fist, just like the name:) true lovers knot, simple yet decorative.
At work I use the Distel and the Valdotain tresse

Last edited:

lee2205

Tenderfoot
Jan 7, 2010
guildford
knotless knot , i just love making hair rigs. also very partial to the hangmans noose knot and (dont know what its called) the knot mr mears uses for his tarp ridge line
lee

Peter_t

Native
Oct 13, 2007
East Sussex
here are a few of my faves that i use for climbing

yosimite bowline - fast to tie and untie but unlike the regular bowline it does not work loose
Image005-1.jpg

double fisherman - extreamly strong knot for connecting two ends
Image023-2.jpg

Klemheist - friction hitch, holds when loaded but slides smoothly and does not jam like the prusik
Image028-1.jpg

used together for climbing
Image027.jpg

munter hitch - used for lowering and decending as you would with a figure 8
Image031.jpg

pete

forestwalker

zeppeliner bend to join to lines
bowline for fixed loops
tautline hitch for guy lines, temporary lashings, etc
constrictor knot
sheet bend (unequal lines)
smugglers bend

And any of a few score knots that work best for any given application (I'm a recovered knot geek).

R3XXY

Settler
Jul 24, 2009
Crewe
Lots of knots here that I've never heard of, thought I'd start this thread as I've just come back from an overnight camp and found that it REALLY helped to know a few basic knots to set up my tarp.

Where you from in Cheshire Soar ?

Laurentius

Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
I would have to say and only half cynically "any knot I can actually tie, that stays tied" because there is no getting round the fact that I have cognitive disabilities in that respect. I could not tie a pair of shoelaces until I was 18 years old and they still have a nasty habit of coming undone.

Any knot I want to rely on, I have to tie at least one security knot on top of that to be sure it will hold, if it works it does, if it doesn't oh well have another go. I have to keep going back to the books all the time, just doesn't stick in my brain.

Lets take the time I needed a tow to get my car out of a ditch, no use tying a knot, much better with strong webbing and friction buckles :)

Jun 13, 2008
mold
knot that is my fav a turks head

knots most used surgeons knot ( im not a surgeon)
monkeys fist (decorative / Line throwing)
italian hitch (climbing)
double fig 8 (climbing)
prussik/ klemhiest (climbing)
good luck knot (decorative)
true lovers knot (decorative)
lanyard knot (decorative)
spices
whippings ( dont like melting ends if i can help it )
sennits (decorative )

Do i tie to many

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE