New Zippo Insert

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Danceswithhelicopters

Sep 7, 2004
Scotland
I spotted this on Amazon. A use for the unused post-smoking or inherited Zippos.

Your favourite Zippo lighter - with a twist. The Bit Safe Lighter Insert packs a functional screwdriver into your Zippo lighter case, adding compact utility to your everyday carry. Remove the 4-in-1 insert from your classic Zippo windproof lighter case and quickly and easily swap between the onboard Phillips, flathead and Torx screwdriver bits for jobs on the go.

51DTMcgC1QL._AC_SY450_.jpg

The Bit Safe Lighter Insert

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Where do you get the butane inserts from?

I like zippos and the look, feel, lore, aesthetic but frankly have had a horrible time of being consistent.

Unless that consistent is being drier than a deep desert manic street preachers tongue.

alphaburner

Jan 17, 2014
Cork, Ireland
Bought mine from here:

Came from Netherlands IIRC. If there’s an Irish site there will definitely be a Zippo UK. Knivesandtools also carry them. Also one of the inserts, the single torch, is made in the US while the other two are Chinese manufactured.

Reactions: TeeDee

Chris

Sep 20, 2022
Lincolnshire
Where do you get the butane inserts from?

I like zippos and the look, feel, lore, aesthetic but frankly have had a horrible time of being consistent.

Unless that consistent is being drier than a deep desert manic street preachers tongue.

I got this one: https://amzn.eu/d/hgBsQ9d

Fits all standard Zippo cases.

It says it doesn’t fit the Armour cases but I have an Armour one and it’s just a tiny fraction too large (see attached), but doesn’t bother me at all. You can also file down the bottom of the insert slightly to make it sit completely flush if it does bother you.

Attachments

• IMG_4017.jpeg
    IMG_4017.jpeg
    156.1 KB · Views: 4
Reactions: TeeDee

Danceswithhelicopters

Sep 7, 2004
Scotland
I got a butane insert which I put in my old Zippo which then freed up its' lighter fuel insert to go into a Thyrm case. Now the lighter fuel doesn't evaporate for months.

Potatohead

Jul 1, 2020
Surrey... near a tree :)
Original Zippo Butane inserts are available on Amazon.
I had one but found it a bit unreliable until i removed the restrictor from the flame adjuster. It wasnt happy with lower gas pressure. Half-ish full it wasnt lighting every time.

sidpost

Forager
Dec 15, 2016
Texas, USA
The Butane inserts for Zippo lighters generally work pretty well. Some are a bit low quality and can be problematic to use, so be sure to read reviews and buy a name-brand insert from a reputable source.

Pattree

Jul 19, 2023
UK
Please forgive a question from one who knows nothing about lighters.

Is butane preferable to petrol (lighter fuel)?

I love the Zippo design and wish I needed to carry one.

Edited to add:
Would a zippo need modification to run on meths? This presumes that it’s not going to be used for smoking and won’t be inhaled.

Laurentius

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
I once bought a Zippo Butane insert but had to return it, no way would it produce a flame, even when I followed the various remedies suggested on the internet, simply not fit for purpose. I currently have a Zorro insert which lasts a lot longer than the original Zippo before the fuel evaporates.

Chris

Sep 20, 2022
Lincolnshire
Please forgive a question from one who knows nothing about lighters.

I love the Zippo design and wish I needed to carry one.

Edited to add:
Would a zippo need modification to run on meths? This presumes that it’s not going to be used for smoking and won’t be inhaled.

Butane provides a ‘jet’ flame rather than the candle-style flame from a fuel soaked wick. This is more practical for igniting things, especially when it’s windy or at an angle.

Reactions: Pattree

Decacraft

Jul 28, 2021
South Wales
Bought a butane insert for my zippo a few years ago, its the single flame version. Initially I had trouble with it not working consistently until I read something about the need to 'purge' them before refilling.

Once it's low on fuel I use a small flat blade screwdriver to press on the fill valve to release all the air and refill. It's given me no issues since doing this before filling it up again

Reactions: Chris

Tantalus

May 10, 2004
Galashiels
Definitely, the petrol ones dry out and need refilled with petrol at least once a week. The butane ones will stay unused and on stand by for years.

As a smoker there was so much ritual restocking cigs or papers or baccy, emptying ashtrays etc that topping off the zippo was just part of the whole process.

Plus a cig lit with a zippo had its own special flavour that you never forgot.

Edited to add:

Probably not flammable enough sorry. You might get lucky once or twice but if the old boys had thought it possible and reliable, they would have invented it back then.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE