Favourite carry-able cooking pan and favourite mug and why for both

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Moondog55

Forager
Sep 17, 2023
Geelong Australia
That was us before the issue of the metal crusader, we poor soldiers just got the black plastic one.
So if you wanted a brew you had to unpack your mess tins?
Just out of interest what did you pack in said rectangular tins? We poor second class chocolate soldiers were never given instructions on that so we stuffed in whatever we could. Only the regulars got the steel kidney cup; we got an OD plastic thing so also had to brew-up in out mess tins so some of us carried tin can billys. Mind you a Landie or Studebaker had lots of space to stash kit so we didn't lack there, my second enlistment a decade later we all got better gear but the only thing I kept was the kidney cup

Last edited:

Erbswurst

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
In such cases I would have shown them a Soviet aluminium field bottle and a Russian made copy of the classical German WW2 mess kit.

;)

Reactions: Ozmundo

MikeLA

May 17, 2011
Northumberland
So if you wanted a brew you had to unpack your mess tins?
Just out of interest what did you pack in said rectangular tins? We poor second class chocolate soldiers were never given instructions on that so we stuffed in whatever we could. Only the regulars got the steel kidney cup; we got an OD plastic thing so also had to brew-up in out mess tins so some of us carried tin can billys. Mind you a Landie or Studebaker had lots of space to stash kit so we didn't lack there, second enlistment a decade we all got better gear but the only thing I kept was the kidney cup
1980s and if I remember one messtin in pouch wash shave kit the other messin tin in the pother pouch tinned rations and other rations hexi stove next to that. Once in battalion similar but we were allowed to change to suit you, as long as you had the above. It was about living with that belt kit for 24/48 hours.

Most of us would buy ourselves the Dutch metal mug which was cheap enough

Last edited:
Reactions: Erbswurst

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
I havent really developed a favourite, just used what was to hand.

I like my Bulldog billy set but that is probably due to conservative bull headedness than any particular virtue.

Cuckoo996

Sep 8, 2023
Wales
14cm Zebra Billy, and my Alpkit Mytimug.

Because they are both bombproof, one fits inside the other, and it's just what I've used the past 15+ years.
If it ain't broke don't fix it I guess

Ozmundo

Jan 15, 2023
Sussex
Apart from military mess kits.

I really like the Wildo fold-a-cup, the large ones. I keep one in a pocket folded and it’s the right size to hold my head torch. Goes Hand in hand with an early morning or late night brew.

Not packable I suppose but small supermarket ali frying pan. Most of the coating has gone after much bacon and egg. Plus I can run around shouting “Wait for me Mr Frodo!”.

Kepis

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Favourite carryable pots and pans, depends on what im doing i guess, if im just out for a lightweight bimble and making a brew, then its either my Titanium mug and a home made alcohol stove.

53437311253_558cc28df1_z.jpg

Or if wanting to have a brew and hot food, then the Crusader comes out

53437555044_c89815debc_z.jpg

Fixed area for the day with no fire would be the Swedish Cook Kit or Crusader or both

53437373888_6c785eae6e_z.jpg

A fixed camp with fire will see the old faithful Primus Litech pan come out (although its so light i do sometimes take it on bimbles for cooking up a bit of bacon or a wild herb omelette), the Litech is twinned with either some Zebra Pots or my old faithful pots as pictured.

53437234256_b6d25ac8b7_z.jpg

Sometimes though i go right back to my roots and repurpose an old bean can for boiling

53437311258_269de73882_z.jpg

and go proper "Bushcraft" and make stuff in the woods to suit

53437234286_4a1c645027_z.jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE