Favourite carry-able cooking pan and favourite mug and why for both

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

MikeLA

May 17, 2011
Northumberland
What’s our packable favourite cooking pan/pot and mug and why

As most of you know my favourite cooking mug is my crusader because it’s solid and bomb proof.

My favourite pan is my msr alpine stowaway 775 set used for a long time and always reliable,easy to clean.

Last edited:

Pattree

Jul 19, 2023
UK
M40 pan set and a Xylis cafetière mug.

Why? They do the job and are in the car. I don’t HAVE to have coffee in the Xylis.

Reactions: Ozmundo

Nic Le Becheur

Forager
Sep 10, 2015
Ludlow
Same here - the Swedish Army M40 Enmanskök (affectionately known as 'Smutbucket') and the mug on my French army canteen. Why? Fairly lightweight, compact, robust.

Last edited:

Erbswurst

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
I prefere kidney shaped kitchen equipment: German army mess kit and US Army butterfly handle mug or its French brother, also the steel version.
I can't compare it to the Crusader mug though.

For two persons I would say the Pathfinder 1,8 litres / 64 oz stainless steel bushpot.

Danceswithhelicopters

Sep 7, 2004
Scotland
Different pots and mugs for different days out.

Lightweight; a Snowpeak Titanium 450ml Snowpeak insulated with lid. Pots, the MSR Windboiler as a system.

Heavyweight; an uncoated stainless steel Crusader mug with a steel Heavy Cover lid....can't beat a pint of tea with condensed milk to make you feel you're in the Western Desert. Pots, the old-school USGI Stainless Mess Kit. Surprised it is not more popular as it's basically a better UK Mess tin.

pot: my 14cm zebra billy which i treated myself to christmas 2008 at the "NT General Store" in Darwin. has been on quite a few adventures since then; 5years ago the place i was staying in got flooded at night (result of bad place selection and a nocturnal flash flood) which forced us to abandon the house and retreat to higher ground -- i found the pot and inner container next morning by the river side but the lid is missing since then and i never got a replacement for it (an el cheapo small dish serves as lid until i manage to find or make one...)

mug: my ADF stainless steel cup (same source as billy, but different time) which i once forgot on the roof of the truck i drove 2km to a neighbors-- i later found the cup unharmed frozen to the truck's roof...

both items are in daily use :)

Reactions: Erbswurst

Moondog55

Forager
Sep 17, 2023
Geelong Australia
Belt carry or rucksack?
Solo or two-up or more?
If rucksack a big one or the small daypack?
Context- context is everything.
Nostalgia tastes better and better as I get older and older so even if it does weigh a tonne I often take my issue "cups canteen" but with an upgraded Oasis water bottle. Cooking pot I have used a lot over the years from a tin can billy to Titanium UL but lately what I carry most is the cheap 2-pot system sold by ALDI in their annual camping sale. My winter daypack has a survival set based on the TOAKS copy of the 900ml MSR cup/pot.
Also I often carry a second cup just in case I need to share a cuppa along the way, that one is usually something I pick up cheap, usually around a dollar or less S/H

Erbswurst

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
That's why the courteous Brits issue two cups to every soldier.

The German army issues two tin openers to everyone though, one at the SAK and one with the cuttlery kit. That happens if the generation Ravioli becomes generals I think.
I only wonder why they don't issue a third one in US pattern with the dog mark.

MikeLA

May 17, 2011
Northumberland
Stainless steel Sierra cup clone I bought in the USA in the 1980s
Aluminium trangia mess tin bought in the 1990s.

I wouldn't recommend either and wouldn't replace them if lost, but I've had them for years and got used to dealing with their shortcomings. Bit like other old friends.
Mind you I’ve used the rectangle trangia mess tins and they are good

Van-Wild

Feb 17, 2018
UK
UL: Lixada 550ml titanium with lid. I use a tiny UL gas stove.

Anything else: GSI Glacier kettle. On a fire, or on a gas stove.

I also have the ubiquitous JetBoil. A solid bit of kit.

Pattree

Jul 19, 2023
UK
I slowly get the impression that it absolutely doesn't matter what you have if you are used to it.
I think that it’s true of all our kit.
We use what we’ve got and what we can get and we learn to use it to our satisfaction.
I for one have no use for brand names other than those I’ve come across as I’ve assembled my kit. I certainly haven’t taken time to compare different sets of kit in action

I’ve got what I’ve got and it works.

Moondog55

Forager
Sep 17, 2023
Geelong Australia
I actually bought one just to see what they were like, mine came with a stainless steel cup on the bottom and a black plastic cup on the top. Obviously made at a different time and to a slightly different mould, I had to modify the water bottle with a sharp knife so the cup would fit.

Reactions: Erbswurst

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Cooking pot - converted biscuit barrel with fence wire or knitting needle bail and a hazel button on the lid. Works like a Zebra but cost pennies in a a charity shop. :) I make this knid of thing in various sizes and can get good nesting sets :)P7060003.JPG
Mug - Crusader with lid made from a cheap mess tin and a filter stand from the same source - for the best coffee in the world. My filter system fits in my billy cans :)PC100003.JPGPC100005.JPG

FerlasDave

Jun 18, 2008
Off the beaten track
That was us before the issue of the metal crusader, we poor soldiers just got the black plastic one.

One lad I knew in phase one had a crack in his bottle. Every time the PT would pick on him for “show water bottle full” but the stores wouldn’t issue a new one. Poor lad, but it was hilarious at the time!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE