Favourite "Bushcraft" activities for relaxing

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Cordage for me too. I like netmaking as well.
That said, I do like small knife made stuff, like the brushes we made from hazel; somehow very satisfying.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
It sort of pulls together other crafts too. Carving a netting needle and making cordage.
Even if all you have is a hank of garden sisal, it's something of a skill to practice making cordage.....and any ball of twine will make a net one way or t'other.

I find the 'neolithic knotless net' quick and useful and I can reclaim my cordage too. Makes a good carrying net, or one for peas in the garden.

M

Kepis

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Bit of whittling, cordage, netting, practice trap making, play with my catapults or sling, wildlife watching, botanising or just sit there staring into the flames of a small fire with a nice cup of tea.

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
The list is endless and depends where I am and what I'm doing. There is nothing more relaxing than pushing the canoe out into gently moving water, dipping the paddle in, and without haste and as silently as possible, making progress whilst watching the wildlife.

Most of my time in the outdoors these days is working in the wood; but it's good honest work and in itself relaxing and satisfying - thinning, coppicing, snedding, building brash piles ...

Then, after a day's work, and a nice meal, you can't beat sitting around the fire chin-wagging quietly sipping a nice dram as the owls start to come out.

You'll rarely see me whittling a spoon (unless I've forgotten to bring one :)), making cordage, or any other 'craft' style activity, but I don't need to be doing something, I am very relaxed just sitting staring into the fire on my own or with good company.

Reactions: scruff and Pattree

Damascus

Native
Dec 3, 2005
Norwich
Making small garden dibbers out of hazel, made one for my wife to do her seedlings, making ever since especially for Xmas stockings and birthday.

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
I love just sitting, observing, and tending a fire. Sometimes I make things, cordage or spoons tent pegs etc, but mostly I like to sit and watch woodland TV, with a nice cuppa tea, if I'm alone, or having a relaxed chat if I'm with a friend.

Poacherman

Banned
Sep 25, 2023
Wigan
Evening all
Curious as to the particular "bushcraft activity" every one finds the most relaxing?
For example I absolutely love twisting up cordage, it's a great example of busy hands but idle mind and I often find myself zoning out sat by the fire as I make it, occupied but not having my mind churning constantly.
So what's yours?
Fishing

Reactions: R_Fonseca

Kadushu

If Carlsberg made grumpy people...
Jul 29, 2014
Kent
I have a head full of diverse trivia but usually fail to remember more than a handful of knots, so sometimes I practice a few new ones (=forgotten ones) with a short length of string. If I'm feeling particularly ambitious I use a long shortth of string.

Reactions: Pattree

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE