Favourite "Bushcraft" activities for relaxing

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Pattree

Jul 19, 2023
UK
I sat by a fire with my then 8 year old son and taught him how to use a knife and to whittle - but to whittle nothing in particular. Just enjoy a good knife cutting and shaving a stick. I still do it and collect the shavings for starting the next fire.

I admire you spoon makers but at a distance :)

Reactions: Toddy

R_Fonseca

Tenderfoot
Jul 6, 2021
Dublin
www.fonseca.ie
I don't actually bushcraft much. I spend most of my outdoor time walking or fishing. In both cases I like practicing carving primitive traps on down time. Most places where I am don't allow fires either. So I just practice that at home (read making a fire for the stove as difficult as possible).

I like the traps though. Just carve them, get them to work and throw them away.

Reactions: Toddy
i'm living in a simple shelter and cook on fire, so my evening entertainment consists of whittling spoons, toggles from the offcuts (+ various other small projects like slingshot frames), campfire forging projects and the occasional sewing (for which i won't win any beauty prizes :p ) -- latest project was a shoulder holster/ baldric for my newly-acquired Ben Orford

Reactions: Ozmundo and Toddy

Ozmundo

Jan 15, 2023
Sussex
I will sew random tat or modify kit if there is enough light. Dexterity and eye sight are not what they were though! Managed to make a Rabbit fur trimmed chaperon (hat) over a few evenings.

Tablet weaving or making cord with a lucet l enjoy. I am in awe of anyone who can use a drop spindle. :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE