guy line tensioners

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

philipb

Forager
Feb 20, 2016
wales
there are many different styles availble but what is your favourite.

(Knots dont count for this thread)

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
My preference is for line loks. Simple and very effective.

Reactions: Tony and philipb

Pattree

Jul 19, 2023
UK
Yep! Them ^^^^^^
Never ever given way.
Never ever unable to adjust even in the coldest and wettest I’ve been.

IMG_6111.jpeg

But then I’ve never known any guyline tensioner give way but plenty get difficult to move at times.

Reactions: Thoth and philipb

philipb

Forager
Feb 20, 2016
wales
cheers I will give them a try. I have a couple of budget tents that just have a small piece of bent metal or plastic as tensioners. they seem to work but I never really liked them or trusted them

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
It can be confusing...my favourite hardware are LineLoc 3 by ITW
51%20LineLoc%203%20LL%20new_0013_buckle.jpg

Easily confused with the identical sounding Cam Cleat Line Loks.

I like the LineLocs when I make my tarps because I can attach them neatly on 1/2" tape and they allow tension adjustment in the rain without getting more than an arm wet. Also, they don't require the guy line to be looped around the anchor and then run past if for adjustment, no dirt or grit getting embedded in the line, they allow adjustment down to within about 1 inch of a tent peg and if a guy line needs to be longer, it is simple to tie on an extension.

For a tent, the Cam Cleats are probably a better bet. I use the LineLocs around the perimeter of my nylon tipis, but normal tents tend to have longer, fixed length, lines.

Suffolkrafter

Settler
Dec 25, 2019
Suffolk
Has anyone used a clam cleat set up in reverse, for a tent guy line? I.e. a fixed loop on the peg, and the adjustable loop passing through the attachment point on the tent? Advantage would be you could easily tie off to something such as a branch or stump of heather, while still being able to adjust. Disadvantage might be friction on the webbing loop potentially leading to damage?

Reactions: philipb

Stew

Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
Has anyone used a clam cleat set up in reverse, for a tent guy line? I.e. a fixed loop on the peg, and the adjustable loop passing through the attachment point on the tent? Advantage would be you could easily tie off to something such as a branch or stump of heather, while still being able to adjust. Disadvantage might be friction on the webbing loop potentially leading to damage?
I have. No real issue but where I’ve wanted that more permanent I’ve also changed it to tie off the line lok at the tarp so it stays in the same position, if that makes sense?

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
is there a way of using lineloc 3's on bought tarps? I'm just wondering about it needing the webbing to stay located. I suppose I could extend my tarp loops with some webbing and they'd work.
I did look around a while ago to see if there were any cord anchoring and adjustment ones (so no webbing, just cord both ends) didn't have much luck though...

Jared

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2005
Wales
Could try and put a diagonal slot in the webbing bar, so could feed the loop in. Like the field replaceable buckles.

5849_1651253038_5177.jpg

For just cord adjustments Roperoller Roperollers look nice, though couldn't find UK source last time I looked.

Also Treadlite Gear does make Lineloc 3s with webbing loops

Stew

Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
is there a way of using lineloc 3's on bought tarps? I'm just wondering about it needing the webbing to stay located. I suppose I could extend my tarp loops with some webbing and they'd work.
I did look around a while ago to see if there were any cord anchoring and adjustment ones (so no webbing, just cord both ends) didn't have much luck though...
Line loks would work for cord both ends, unless I’m misunderstanding your need.

Gailainne

Life Member
The other are the MSR camring ones.

Can pick up knockoffs cheaply on Aliexpress

I bought a pack of ten of those AE ones, unfortunately the edges even after anodizing were very sharp, it would cut through guy lines very quickly.

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
295D00A2-B8E2-429B-B9F1-CDDE0526FAC0.jpeg
12” length of 2mm cord, fisherman’s knot to make a loop, I might do a double fisherman’s. Then double wrap bight around the LineLoc bar and pass loop through loop, cats paw fashion. Attach to tarp loop with larks head.

Reactions: Stew

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
View attachment 86070
12” length of 2mm cord, fisherman’s knot to make a loop, I might do a double fisherman’s. Then double wrap bight around the LineLoc bar and pass loop through loop, cats paw fashion. Attach to tarp loop with larks head.
Yeah, that works very well. So that's the standard ones (lineloc) that take webbing with the space taken up by the multiple loops through the opening. That would work out cheaper that's for sure...

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE