What's your favourite knot ?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Ben Trout

Nomad
Feb 19, 2006
Wiltshire, GB
So many different anwers I could give. :)

Since I read the Brian Toss quote, the bowline always gives me cause to smile:

"The Bowline is the King of Knots, because it is strong, secure and versatile as kings should be. And simple, as knigs generally are."

I use the Constrctor knot a lot at work. I am a test engineer in a motor, generator and transformer repair workshop. Knot tying is still a useful skill in many environments!

I really lik the Paulista as an alternative to the dolly hitch. Pict put up a thread about it some time ago, video here.

Does anyone use the Simple Simon?

listenclear

Nomad
Aug 19, 2008
East lothian
I like quick relese knots, basically because i feel well smug when they release.
The falconers knot as well becasue it's quick, simple and for some reason i find it more reliable than the evenk hitch (excuse the likely spelling mistake).

The Perfection loop for a ........ um Loop easy to tie very easy to undo even after loading also good on Bungie

the Rolling hitch as a taut line for guy rope adjustment easy to undo etc i use on all my tarp and Hammock guys

The Klemheist again a one way adjustable knot i use on my tarp to secure it to the ridge rope means it can be eaily tightened and moved along i carry a couple of 1' lengths of paracord with a loop in the end this is wrapped on the ridge line and the end passed thro the loop (like teh animation which is doubled instead to give ehe loop ) then the end it tied to the eye on the tarp pulling it out streteches teh tarp and the knot prevents it slipping back inless you do it to slide teh tarp along to teh possition you want

a Half hitch probably because most rope probelms can be solved if you have enough of em :D

E

ex member coconino

Another vote for the truckers' hitch, which I seem to use a lot. I'm also very fond of the alpine butterfly and sometimes use it as the eye for the truckers' hitch. Many years ago I started to carry a short cord with me to practise knots whenever I could, and I've never regretted it, and I still enjoy learning new ones and passing them on to new knotters.

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Since taking up climbing again I do like the fig 8. I know a rare few who use the bowline on walls as doesn't lock but TBH I nevr have a problem with fig 8 locking as it is the more secure, easily recognised as correct (vital for newbies) and as a new climber is the one you are always told to use.

I always use the stopper knot as well.

I do like the Jack Ketch's knot too. It is easthetically pleasing and just about the best knot to break a guy's neck quickly without too much suffering if you were to hang someone. Also known s hangman's. I was always taught you do 13 turns around. Not sure if that is correct but it does sound like it should be right. I must admit that if I see a rope at work I always tie one of these in the end if noone is looking.

Which tie on knot do any climbers use on this site? Fig 8 or bowline? Why? I am kind of trying to pursuade a climbing friend to switch to fig 8. If she does then another friend she is teaching will too. I believe the fig 8 is a degree stronger. Higher breaking strain IIRC. They are popular at walls as the staff can easily spot them so know that the climber is tied on properly.

gregorach

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
Which tie on knot do any climbers use on this site? Fig 8 or bowline? Why?

Haven't climbed in years, but I was always a fig 8 user, mainly because it's very easy to see if you've got it right or not. There are too many different ways of tying a bowline for my liking...

As for a favourite knot, I've developed an entirely irrational fondness for the Zeppelin bend. I just like the way it looks. :)

Highbinder

Jul 11, 2010
Under a tree
That Klemheist knot looks real good, gonna try that out on my hammock ridgeline instead of prussics. Are there any requirements on rope sizings? Will it work well as well on equally sized ropes as different sizings?

My favourites are the monkey's fist, the zeppelin bend (quicker to tie/unti than a double fisherman bend), and the marlen spike hitch (which works so well for pegging out my tarp)

Last edited:
E

ex member coconino

As for a favourite knot, I've developed an entirely irrational fondness for the Zeppelin bend. I just like the way it looks. :)

Wow, next time I park my blimp I'm definitely using that one!

armie

Life Member
Jul 10, 2009
The Netherlands
One of my friends, ex-trucker, tells me that he often impressed his younger colleagues by tying a trucker's hitch to strap down cargo, when no tie-down straps were available. They had no idea that this could be done with mere rope!

E

ex member coconino

Being as I'm from Falmouth it has to be a Carrick bend.

I like it too. Having just been getting the hang of the Zeppelin, which I'd never heard of before, I'm thinking there are similarities to the Carrick bend in the way the two lock together. The Zeppelin is a great knot too, thanks for mentioning it gregorach!

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Are we including bends and hitches or does it have to be a knot?

"A knot thats not neat is not a knot" - So...a neat one!

I find a round turn and 2 half hitches very useful for attaching anthing to anything...ridge-lines to trees, boats to moorings, guylines to pegs (non adjustable) etc etc etc

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE