Favourite kit and why.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

sapper1

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 3, 2008
swansea
My favourite bit has always been my trangia 27 kettle and burner,the kettle is big enough to hold the burner and some brew kit.I have just bought a tatonka burner and stand from lurch at lakeland bushcraft (highly recommended)and the whole thing fits into the kettle and works better than the trangia burner,it holds more fuel and burns better.
This kettle and burner set up goes with me whenever I go out .

mark a.

Settler
Jul 25, 2005
Surrey
I don't really have a favourite as I seem to change my mind about kit quite regularly as I keep trying to find the "perfect" setup. However, recently it's been my Trangia and my Tentipi. Set up the Trangia ready for the morning, have a nice sleep protected by the canvas of the tipi then in the morning just roll over, put the kettle on and enjoy a warmed tent and a cup of tea in bed at the same time. Bliss.

firecrest

Mar 16, 2008
uk
Im afraid I have nothing of sentimental value or otherwise! I dont even carry family photos or mementos and all my clothes(everyday and going out!) are stuff from bootsales charity shops and cast offs because they fitted and were cheap.

Id say my painting kit is the closest thing, which I keep in an old Jack Daniels tin, but my paints run out and my brushes need replacing every few months, and Ill discard the tin when I find a more convenient one!

I suppose the things I carry round with me are concepts, the items themselves are interchangable representations of the intangible things I dont want to be without. Those things are my paints, as mentioned, a camera, and a wildlife/plant Id book. Ihave had my harper collins one since I was 14, so I suppose that might count as a favourite bit of kit.

crazyclimber

Need to contact Admin...
Jul 20, 2007
UK / Qatar
I'm not someone to fall in love with kit, I tend to treat it as pretty expendable and something on which (usually) improvements can be made. Thinking about it the only bit of kit I've kept for years is my compass
IMG_0764copy.jpg

I bought it aged about 14 to replace a millets one that would read north +/- about 20 degrees! At the time I considered it expensive but it goes to show the value of buying something quality to begin with - still going strong! Has got me around mountains for years and on one memorable occasion off a mountain in a complete white-out after my GPS batteries died. The spare bootlace it's attached too isn't the original but its predecessors have also proved useful!

woodstock

Apr 7, 2007
off grid somewhere else
Myself like firecrest don't attach sentimental value to things if I don't use it for 2 years I give it away or sell it
the kit that I have and use and would not part with is my compass and KJ mora knife which i have had for years

BOD

Fav kit?

This would have to be this old Aussie steel mug.

DSCN3904.jpg

It sustains and re-energises me and is my companion when sitting quietly somewhere

DSCN1396.jpg

The blades, clothes, packs, hats, tarps may change but it is on nearly every trip and is in the back of the car usually.

Second would have to be the billy can looking very clean here for a change . Mess tins seldom come along unless I have a friend along and we plan to stop for a while.

DSCN1510.jpg

Andy2112

On a new journey
Jan 4, 2007
West Midlands
my favorite bit of kit must be my Trangia 27k, got it new when i did the DoE, so it must be 20+ years old now, the pans are pitted on the bases, the bottom and windshield are dented and deformed, but, it's still going strong and it has a lot sentiments attached to it for me. Must get a new Oring for the burner. The only mod is that i have converted it to gas now.

Sniper

Native
Aug 3, 2008
Saltcoats, Ayrshire
My old welly warmers, I've had them since 1976. Like little felt slipperettes they keep my feet toasty in the dossbag at night they also act as slippers for the old man's night time tinkle which saves pulling on my boots in the dark. They're starting to fall apart now and cannot find their like anywhere to replace them. I'll miss them when they do eventually fall apart, judging by the state of them, that won't be long now.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE