Favourite kit and why.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Wayland

Hárbarðr
Things have been a little quiet around here lately.

Looking at the site stats the "Kit Chatter" section has always been the most active part so lets really talk about your kit.

Here is the question. What is really your favourite bit of kit and what makes it so special to you.

We're not looking for my kit is better / shinier / lighter / more expensive than yours.

We're looking for the story behind the kit, the first time you used it, how you got it, why you just wouldn't be without it, that kind of stuff.

When I thought of this thread I thought I'd probably talk about my camera because that's what gets me out of doors most often, but while typing I realized it's just a tool and it wouldn't matter if it was that camera or another.

I started thinking, "What's my oldest bit of kit? and why haven't I replaced it?"

That made me think of my barrel knife.

I was given a barrel knife by my Dad many years ago so it's got a lot of sentimental attachments but this one is not actually the one he gave me, that was stolen while I was at college.

Barrel-knife-1.jpg

It's close to my favourite, but not quite.

The oldest gear I have, that has been in continual use, is my old canvas gaiters.

They've out lasted several pairs of boots, many trousers and I suspect they'll out last my knees in a while too.

I bought them in Ambleside about 25 years ago in a shop that has changed hands a few time since then.

I couldn't afford the fancy nylon ones that everyone else was wearing, so I had to "make do" with cotton canvas, which everyone told me was not as good.

How wrong they were. they're tough and much more breathable than the synthetic ones and they have aged to such a wonderful flexibility that I hardly know I'm wearing them.

They were made for boots that lace a long way down the front. They don't make boots quite like that now so the hook's in the wrong place really. They still work so I still wear them.

I couldn't even begin to calculate how far I've walked in them, but they are also useful for just beating about in the bush.

I've looked a couple of times at replacements, but the closest I could find had a nylon drawstring channel attached which looked and felt completely wrong.

In the end, when I compared them to mine there was just no competition, even though mine do look a little worse for wear these days.

The irony is, that those new canvas gaiters were twice the price of the nearest synthetic ones, but of course, they're not a good are they...;)

Pignut

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 9, 2005
Lincolnshire
The kit that holds the most sentimental value to me is this

Assheisnow.jpg

My grandfather gave me a barrel knife when I was younger, unfortunatly it was lost (By me) and I have never found a replacement... until (ironocally) I met Wayland at a meet I organised, I saw his and he mentioned he had a spare (In need of a little TLC) a deal was struck and now I have a constant companion and reminder of my grandad, which means alot!

However I think the piece of kit I could not do without is my UCO, seems to bring a little bit of cheer instantly to anything from a tent, tarp, tipi, or house in a power cut!

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Good thread Wayland and nice knife too. I`m not much of a knife collector though so how does the barrel knife work ? Is the blade stored inside the handle then just flips round and slots in ??

I think the most tried & trusted piece of kit I`ve got has to be my Bulldogs. My grandma bought them for me for a cubs camping trip when I was a nipper in the 70s and they`ve never let me down since.

DSC00670.jpg

They`re quite well travelled having seen action in Australia, Cuba, Mexico, Portugal, Spain, France, Italy, most areas of Scotland, the Lakes, Yorkshire Dales and recently the Peak District. I favour them over other bits of kit I have such as MSR and Trangia and I can tell you they`ve have been knocked back into shape more than once.

Rich

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Too much kit to decide from! My Scarpa boots mebbe? I bought them around about 1995-97 when I was based in Ripon. As I recall, it was a trip to Harrogate and they cost over 100 pounds. I thought that was a lot of money at the time, but they are still going strong. The water passes through the leather a bit now, they really need re-proofing bu6t I just never get round to it. The soles are in really good condition, some really tough rubber was used on those boots. I've been to a few places in them, Macedonia, Falkland Islands, paragliding over the castle from Chitty Chitty Bang Bang, over the Knife Edge on Snowdon, Dartmoor, the Peak District, various training areas around the planet. They are a well travelled pair of boots and they've still got a lot of life left in them. They really have been the best purchase, except guitars, that I've ever made.

And here they are, Chitty Chitty Bang Bang castle was off to my left, maybe four or five hundred meters away. This was a flight from the middle launch site from the Tegelburg.

HPIM2459.jpg

Wayland

Hárbarðr
Shewie, there's a bit more info here about the barrel knife.

I had a set of Bulldogs when I was a kid.

I remember camping by the sea one time and finding a dead starfish.

I'd never actually seen one before so I thought I'd take it home and dry it out.

Of course I needed something to carry it in so I popped it in the smallest billy and never thought any more about it.

About a fortnight later my Dad started wondering what the funny smell was in the garage.

Lo and behold, there was the remains of a very rotten starfish which smelt incredible as he opened first the large billy then the medium and then..........

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
My damascus knife - the first decent full tang knife that I put a handle on (cherry) made a matching fire steel for and made the sheath for.
Thanks Greg - the man who gave me the blade!:You_Rock_
Damascusbushy.jpg

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
I suppose it's my Sigg bottle - apologies for the lack of a picture. It has been with me on every trip to the wilds since I was thirteen - including twenty-three Alpine seasons - and is battered almost beyond recognition. The only thing I've had to replace on it is the lid. The first one I dropped down a crevasse on descent of Mont Blanc having battled up an out of condition Brenva Spur. The biggest dent is from when someone hit me over the head with it for a laugh. Fortunately, the bottle was empty. It is a loyal servant, even now, and holds just under a litre because of that dent!

That and my Skookum Bush Tool are the faves but the latter hasn't got quite so many stories to tell - yet.

SOAR

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 21, 2007
cheshire
Good thread Wayland, mine has to be my second knife that I made, since I made it it gets used all the time.

secondknife41.jpg

100_4921.jpg

The piece of kit that has sentimental value to me is my SAK given to me by my Grandfather, the plastic scales cracked so I replaced them, it gets used everyday at work and is always in my pocket.

a12jpm

Need to contact Admin...
Jan 15, 2008
Perthshire
I love these threads.

Fot me it's my crusader cup and msr stove. No great history behind it yet but it travels with me all over the uk and has made some cups of tea in the most picturesque places, as well as some of the nastiest industrial estates.

Simply a very usefull bit of kit that in years to come hopefully will have some storys to tell
crusader.jpg

Atomic Bimbler

Tenderfoot
Feb 7, 2006
Cheshunt, Herts
twitter.com
I have to agree with u a12jpm, my crusader cup and MSR Pocket Rocket have given me many moments of smugness when friends have been trying to make a brew using a mess tin on an open fire or solid fuel stove when its been raining sideways :)

Dingo

Nomad
Jan 7, 2005
leicestershire
S1030175.jpg

I know its not 'Bushy' but it feels comfortable in hand, with a stainless blade and rubber handle its easily maintained and keeps a good edge, cuts bacon butty's a treat! loves apples and oranges, sharpens pencils, top piece of kit!
Due to recent interest in knife carrying i now leave it in the van;)

Adam.

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Is that a Gerber Gator? I always used to find Gerbers difficult to sharpen until I had a go on the square handled folder, not sure of its' name. On a waterstone, it came up really well, razor sharp and quite durable. I wish I had bought one myself sometimes, along with the Cold Steel SRK's for 25 USD!

gunnix

Nomad
Mar 5, 2006
Belgium
My woolen pants, found my first pair in an abandoned factory where a lot of clothes were dumped. They are belgian army filt pants with many pockets. A nice green color. The butt had to be sewed together as it was it was torn and most buttons had to be resewed as the thread got a bit rotten in the damp dump. But the wool stayed perfect. Weared it most of the year since I got them. Gotten the taste for woolen pants I also got swedish army filt pants which I carry all the time, they're not such a nice color though, being gray. The belgian army pants have to be sewed a bit again as I have put them to some hard use.

My laminated mora knife with birch handle, found it bent and rusted. Hammered it straight, or at least as straight as I could get it. Sanded off the rust and the red paint of the handle. Sharpened it and oiled the handle. I've made a birch knife sheath for it, it seems to have been a tradition to do so in Sweden. And now in June a leather sheath on the bushcraft weekend Jurjen organised. In his workshop I was able to make a nice sheath with firesteel holder. I really love this knife, and carry it on all my trips. The handle fits my hands perfectly, and it's a nice feel being wood. The 10 cm blade is perfect length and the tip is sharp making it easy to cut out holes. The scandi grind ideal to carve wood. Just this week made yet another spoon with it, using a coal to make the spoon "bowl" the mora is the only tool I need.

But all in all I think I don't really get to attached to these things, as they seem to come and go. I most enjoy to find them, somewhere in the trash, and then restore them to good condition! :)

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
Come on Hoodoo.

With all the kit you've got you must have something with a bit of a story to it. ;)

Hmmmm....well...at the risk of offending the knife experts here, I have to say I'm pretty fond of this ol' Buck knife. We go back together over 35 years and it has made a lot of woodchips for me. ;)

buck1b.jpg

I don't travel without a good whittler in my pocket.

JohnC

Jun 28, 2005
Edinburgh
It would be this cup that I got from my wife as a birthday present some years ago. I use it every day for coffee in the morning and whisky (some) evenings. Being metal its been used to boil eggs and heat beans over fires and stoves..

cup.jpg

Other than that I think my old yellow karrimat that I've had from 1978, Its in 2 bits now, but I don't want to throw it out

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE