Kit weight

• Thread starter Deleted member 56886
  • Start date
  • Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
D

Deleted member 56886

Folks, I need some advice. As I'm now less able, I'm trying everything to get back in the saddle, since so long out of it. (8 years, health issue)

What's the average weight of your kit? I have the basics and it's weighing in at 20kg. That's without food and water. Where am I going wrong? I've been in this game 30 years and it's like I'm stumped. I don't know what to do. I've made a hiking cart, bought lighter kit, reduced the kit down that I take bare essentials. I'm just struggling to carry my stuff no matter what I do. I used to carry my life in a rucksack at one point. Kit, clothes, food, dog equipment, 30/35kg and would walk 30+ miles in a day.

I'm getting so frustrated and disappointed, Im on the verge of throwing the towel in

Help and advice please

2 day Kit list:

DD 3x3
OEX Salamanda
Oex sleep mat
Snugpack TSB
Zebra 12cm
Primus Himalaya +600ml fuel
Fire kit
2 litres water
Sawyer filter & water bladder
Ortlieb wash bowl
1 spare change clothes
Waterproofs
Camera
Tripod
Ecoflow River 2 256wh powerstation
6 fire pot foods dehydrated meals
Alpkit mytimug 650ml
Brew kit
Cold steel rifleman hawk
Bachelor laplander
Victorinox hiker
9da1d407007f8adad25808267c87b359.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Tank

Aug 10, 2009
Witney, Oxfordshire
Hi Coedwigwr

What are you looking for your kit to do? week hiking in Scotland, weekend camping in the hills or are you talking bushcraft day/weekend?

D

Deleted member 56886

Hi Coedwigwr

What are you looking for your kit to do? week hiking in Scotland, weekend camping in the hills or are you talking bushcraft day/weekend?
Hiking, 10 - 15 miles a day. I don't drive, so don't have the luxury of a 5 min walk to camp from a car, I'm retired due to health

Sent from my SM-A326B using Tapatalk

I use a website called Lighter Pack to see where my weight is building up.

This is a break down of a week hiking in Scotland this year. my base weight was 12kg plus food and water and I was hitting 18kg
View attachment 81562

Its a bit geeky but helpful to work out where you have extra weight.
Much as I mocked your system
I may adapt it to a paper version for next year's expedition

Reactions: Tank

Chris

Sep 20, 2022
Lincolnshire
2 day Kit list:

DD 3x3
OEX Salamanda
Oex sleep mat
Snugpack TSB
Zebra 12cm
Primus Himalaya +600ml fuel
Fire kit
2 litres water
Sawyer filter & water bladder
Ortlieb wash bowl
1 spare change clothes
Waterproofs
Camera
Tripod
Ecoflow River 2 256wh powerstation
6 fire pot foods dehydrated meals
Alpkit mytimug 650ml
Brew kit
Cold steel rifleman hawk
Bachelor laplander
Victorinox hiker
This sounds like quite a lot for 2 days, though I suppose it depends what you are planning on doing.

The Riflemans Hawk is just over 1kg - do you need this on top of a saw and a knife?
The powerstation is 3.5kg - do you need this for 2 days? Could you take a much smaller power bank?

Those two items alone are accounting for 1/4 of your total weight so far.

The Salamanda is 1.24kg. The DD tarp is 790g, so your shelter system is currently weighing 2.03kg. Could you just use the tarp (790g) and a lightweight bivvy which should weigh in at approx 300g to bring your waterproof shelter situation to about 1.09kg?

Doing the above would save you 5.8kg.

Another thing to consider is that you need to go easy on yourself if you've had some health issues - this is not wussing out, it is just giving yourself the best chance to get stronger. Even an olympian couldn't take 8 years off and then jump back on the track to win races. Could you perhaps try a few smaller overnight trips where you try reducing the amount of kit you take, to see what you really need and what you can actually do without? It'll also help you build confidence and strength rather than going off yomping 10+ miles with 20kg in tow!

Setting yourself up to have a rough time straight off the bat probably won't do you any good, and at the end of the day your goal is to get outdoors and enjoying things again, not have yourself throw in the towel.

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
If you are using a modern digital camera, which have fantastic noise reduction algorithms, you can be shooting at high ISO levels - do you really need to carry a tripod?

I no longer carry my 'good' camera gear when I'm doing 'stuff'; I only carry it when I'm specifically going out to 'do photography'; so, a small Olympus TG5.

What an earth do you need an axe for on a two-day hike when you're carrying a stove and fuel? - or the laplander to be honest - and as for the washbowl! :)

I have a lot of gear, none of it super lightweight by modern standards, but I rarely take a fraction of it. The last two-day trek I did, using a tarp and an MSR fuel stove, came in at 12kg including the Karrimor 65 rucksack.

Bishop

Jan 25, 2014
Pencader
Ecoflow River 2 256wh powerstation 3.5kg

I appreciate there is need of this witchcraft, just seems an awful lot for two days

Pattree

Jul 19, 2023
UK
Hi Coedwigwr

Well done for getting back into the saddle!
I’m presuming that it’s your first trip out on your convalescence. You’re packing two day kit.

Ha! I’m typing too slow!!!!
Everyone has already said it all.
Take the tent, the stove and pot, the mat and the snugpack. Take the SAK for whittling. Have I missed your torch in the list?
I wouldn’t carry two litres of water anywhere if water were available along the way. What’s your purifier for? :)

The point is to enjoy it isn’t it? Who cares how far you get this time, you’ll go further next time.

D

Deleted member 56886

If you are using a modern digital camera, which have fantastic noise reduction algorithms, you can be shooting at high ISO levels - do you really need to carry a tripod?

I no longer carry my 'good' camera gear when I'm doing 'stuff'; I only carry it when I'm specifically going out to 'do photography'; so, a small Olympus TG5.

What an earth do you need an axe for on a two-day hike when you're carrying a stove and fuel? - or the laplander to be honest - and as for the washbowl! :)

I have a lot of gear, none of it super lightweight by modern standards, but I rarely take a fraction of it. The last two-day trek I did, using a tarp and an MSR fuel stove, came in at 12kg including the Karrimor 65 rucksack.
My camera:

The saw and axe I use for woodcarving. Its not just for prepping firewood.

I can't just sit still and do nothing in the woods, I have to do something. I am a hyperactive person, have to have something to do.

D

Deleted member 56886

Ecoflow River 2 256wh powerstation 3.5kg

I appreciate there is need of this witchcraft, just seems an awful lot for two days
Phone, camera and I vape. ( ex smoker I'm not quite there on quitting yet)
I don't use the phone when I'm out, battery drains searching for signal as I'm in a low signal area.

I also take CPAP ( breathing machine for sleeping) if needed

D

Deleted member 56886

Hi Coedwigwr

Well done for getting back into the saddle!
I’m presuming that it’s your first trip out on your convalescence. You’re packing two day kit.

Ha! I’m typing too slow!!!!
Everyone has already said it all.
Take the tent, the stove and pot, the mat and the snugpack. Take the SAK for whittling. Have I missed your torch in the list?
I wouldn’t carry two litres of water anywhere if water were available along the way. What’s your purifier for? :)

The point is to enjoy it isn’t it? Who cares how far you get this time, you’ll go further next time.
Thanks
2 litres is to drink along the way sweat a lot due to Graves disease.

Didn't list the torch, it's a petal headlamp carried on my bonce normally, but I should have listed it

Pattree

Jul 19, 2023
UK
Agreed, the mind needs exercise in these early days.
Challenge!!!!!!
Leave the axe behind. Take a light weight hook knife and carve a link (or more) in a piece of branch in two days.

Personally I’d take a book and a small musical instrument likes flute or an ocarina but that doesn’t sound like you.

D

Deleted member 56886

Agreed, the mind needs exercise in these early days.
Challenge!!!!!!
Leave the axe behind. Take a light weight hook knife and carve a link (or more) in a piece of branch in two days.

Personally I’d take a book and a small musical instrument likes flute or an ocarina but that doesn’t sound like you.
I've had a harmonica for 35 years. Can't play a thing on it

Pattree

Jul 19, 2023
UK
I've had a harmonica for 35 years. Can't play a thing on it
emoji1787.png
You now have two days to yourself to play something.
Don’t try and play anyone else’s tunes just play!!!!!

I think that the most awful way to teach music is to make children stare at a page covered with tadpoles on telegraph wires while they spit out “London’s Burning” or “Red River Valley”
Just play sounds that you like. When the birds join in you know you’re in the moment.

Yes - ditch the axe and the tripod. Take the harmonica and bring back loads memories and just a few photos. What’s wrong with your phone for photos for the pictures unless of course you are going to exhibit or publish them!

D

Deleted member 56886

This one I would ditch immidiatly.
Any reason as to why? Something wrong with the ecoflow itself? Or just taking a power source with you is a no no for you?

D

Deleted member 56886

Advice duly noted from you all, thankyou.
I'll ditch the kit suggested and see how I get on, thanks all for your input

Reactions: nigelp

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
If you are whittling, don't forget a first aid kit. Just some plasters, a pack of steristrips and some alcohol wipes bare minimum.... Just in case that knife slips or you stab yourself!
You can pop that little lot in a small zip lock plastic bag, and keep it on you, this is what I have as a cuts kit, whenever I'm carving, and I keep it in a pocket, along with a bandana.
I've only used it once, only a couple of weeks ago actualy, when I stabbed the point of my knife into my finger. The plasters were enough, but it could have been worse. All healed now, but the spatula had a fair wack of blood on it, which luckily got carved off the finished item. It can happen no matter how careful you are.
I also now keep a burn dressing. It's a year since I last tried to turn off the gas stove, and grabbed the red hot pot stand instead ! Ouch! :)
Only time I've ever done that.( It was dark. ) accidents happen when you least expect them.
I'm sure you've thought of it, but you didn't mention a first aid kit.
The cpap and battery are obviously nessasary, so I'd save weight elsewhere, prepare a billet or two at home for a spoon and spatula, and leave the axe and saw out.
I have a robens mountain bivvy bag, ( i used to use a heavy gortex bivvy) which is fine under a tarp, very light and small packsize. That would save a bit of weight too.
I know where you are comming from, I've had to make adjustments due to health aswell. I always overpack, but I'm weeding stuff out each time I go. I can now get everything for two nights into a 45 litre pack, and still have relative luxury. A down bag is a great space and weight saver.
Have fun and take it easy, if you plan for ten miles and only make six, that's not a fail, I tend to plan for less miles than I think I can do, and if I'm up for more, it's a bonus that makes me feel I've done so much better than I anticipated. Remember, you want to enjoy yourself, not crawl home and regret those last few miles! I've done that too!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE