Kit weight

• Thread starter Deleted member 56886
  • Start date
  • Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Wander

Native
Jan 6, 2017
Here There & Everywhere
He said he needed the battery for a cpap machine. (Medical device) so getting rid is not an option.

Sorry, Coedwigwr, I missed that bit. My apologies. Yes, in that case, it is an essential item!

So please don't keep telling him to ditch it, unless you know a way to power it without!!!

deja_q_hd_046_resized_6484.jpg

Erbswurst

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
I suggest to work in my list above.

There is a way to lighten the load without any question.

D

Deleted member 56886

Well, the Hornets aren't far from extinction. To get attacked by them is as rare as an exploding camping gas can.

I still would say that it doesn't happen, like you don't get hit by a comet.
@Erbswurst

Just because it hasn't happened to you, doesn't mean it doesn't happen.

The video is of a camp gas stove exploding, same kind that blew up on me and nearly took my eye out. Would you like a copy of my medical file?

Things are rare, improbable, but everything is possible.

34359e12175a7f60398996d90ecb02d4.jpg
565e1307574d747e053c5b2499e1de75.jpg

Sent from my SM-A326B using Tapatalk

Reactions: Erbswurst

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
I've witnessed a young lass almost burn to death in a tent when a gas can exploded, so I get what you are saying. It's bloody scary .
i guess if she hadnt been in the tent it would have been less of a problem.
I've had one go on me, luckily unlit, and I was able to chuck it safely away...lightening reaction somehow, I was so dam lucky!!! Mind you, it was many years ago in the 80's, and I won't use the old pierce type ever again.
Still have the odd collywobble with the screw in type if I happen to remember while I'm setting the stove up. But I'm cool with it now. Took me a while to trust gas stoves again, and I wasn't injured.
I can only imagine how you'd feel after being injured with one.
Life has its risks. I ride a motorcycle, so am aware, everytime I go out, I may not come home, as have several friends over the years.
You just have to weigh the risk, and if your guts say no, then you need to listen to them.

Van-Wild

Feb 17, 2018
UK
@Coedwigwr ......

Get out and enjoy yourself as best you can. Being outside will benefit you mentally and physically I'm sure. You don't need the latest fandango superleicht gear either. Go with what you got. As others have said, we all have a mixture of gear that a lot of us have gathered, traded, got in sales, found in charity shops over the years and guess what? It all does the same job.

I have a fair bit of kit, but I generally go out with the same stuff over and over again, because I'm familiar with it, it's basic and it works without fail. Some stuff I take isn't really essential, and comparatively it's heavy, but I'll take it because it makes my experience more enjoyable. Sure I could do without it but why should I? And if I ask for advice on the forum (which I have, quite a lot) I read everyone's comments and implement those opinions if I want to. But I'm not obligated to follow others advice if I don't want to..... don't be too hard in yourself. I know the importance of that CPAP device, so the power bank is a critical piece of your gear.

Go out and enjoy yourself. Dog and all!

Erbswurst

Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
Well, my Ex got stung by a hornet too, that was attracted by a head lamp and did crouch into my canoe and into her sleeping bag. Here on my brother's farm we have some hornets that indeed come into my construction trailer if I have switched on a light and afterwards do the usual silly things until I throw them out and close the window.

The gas cardridge risk is worth an own thread in my opinion. I opened it here:

If you want to lighten the load radically and if we are talking about short outings alcohol stoves are the lightest option so far I understood, if you don't need exactly the amount of energy that can be bought in one of the gas cardridge sizes, what's rather a week than a day. Ultralight trekking experts made a science out of the question. But I use gas cartridges also where no other stoves are allowed, like at some camping sites in south France, and you decided to avoid gas cartridges, so the question when the use of gas stoves becomes lighter than alcohol stoves doesn't matter here.

Because I use either a wood fire or a screw gas cartridge I can't tell you from own experience about alcohol stoves. But other members can and will inform you if you ask about it in a seperate thread, what's worth it, because there are countless different options, some more practical, some cheaper, some lighter than others. It's some kind of own science and would derail the thread here if we try to discuss it in this thread.
That's why I suggest that you ask about that in a seperate thread.
Some alcohol stoves can be made easily and very cheap at home or even on tour.
The other options cost a bit but usually far less than other stoves that use different fuels. And apart from wood that you find in the forest spiritus is the cheapest fuel that you can burn, so far I am informed.
So, if you want to save money for fuel and lighten your load it's highly recommended to inform yourself about alcohol stoves.

Last edited:

Erbswurst

Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
Beer can stove:

I found in Germany smaller Prosecco tins that seemed to be more suitable for smaller pots like your 650ml mug.
I even built one but a colleague did throw it away before I could try it out.

:rolleyes:

Ozmundo

Jan 15, 2023
Sussex
I’d only carry an axe and saw for specific projects. I usually opt for the saw as I can baton fire wood with the mora.

Summer tarp is a onewind 2.5m x 1.5m footprint. It will stash in a jacket pocket. I don’t use trekking poles. Cheap ish option.

An Alpkit Tarpstar 2 is 0.5kg for just the outer (plus a trekking pole or stick) and this gives a lot of cover and space. Pricier option though.

A 2 season down bag would save a lot of weight (but again ££££). A thermally reflective quilt to bump it up for the colder times. Probably get under a kilo.

Last edited:

Erbswurst

Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
His sleeping bag isn't overly heavy and it's temperature rating as well as it's materials seem to me a good idea for British circumstances.

His tarp seems to weigh 790g, if I understood right. He could get a tyveg ground sheet or any other thin foil instead and leave in dry weather and wind protected areas his 1,5 kg bivvy tent at home. If he swaps to a beer can stove he saves another 500g or whatever, another perhaps 400g if he doesn't take the Zebra pot with him and just takes the existing titanium mug.
His Victorinox has a saw attached, what's enough for carving, eating, and so on. Saw and hatchets not taken saves another kilogram. No camera equipment on hiking tours surely another kilogram.

And we didn't talk about single grams yet, although 40 items that are only 25 g heavier than needed add up to a full kilogram, a fact most people never thought about.

Such 25 grams you can save if you use less but bigger drybags for example, tooth paste and razor or soap size make also the little difference that adds up to a non portable rucksack for example.

Before one has to invest into ultra light gear one first should try to pack the rucksack like it was done in 1920. If you use your existing modern stuff instead of what was usual hundred years ago but don't take more than what was chosen back then your rucksack becomes so light that every schoolboy can carry it easily. If you throw afterwards the heavy power bank on top it's still portable for an adult man.

But unless he tells us about the actual weights of every single item of his existing equipment the whole discussion will stay pretty theoretical, of course.

I didn't look up the weights of his equipment pieces and just estimated above the weights. But roughly spoken 20 non portable kilograms minus 5 superfluous kilograms become pretty comfortable 15 kilograms. And suddenly most adults could carry his existing stuff easily.

Last edited:

Ozmundo

Jan 15, 2023
Sussex
The bag that came up when I searched was showing as a 1.6kg synthetic jobbie. So my immediate thought would be to cut that for summer at least.

I like a tarp but sometimes you need a bit more cover. My kids want a tent to feel secure, I am kind of the opposite and want to see my surroundings. Tarp-tent works well for it and might be a good option with doggie.

Gone are my days of crawling in a bivi sac on a Welsh mountain side during the winter!
02A40528-E74C-46DA-835F-4AFC3980184E.jpeg

Most of my kit for a fair weather trip. Doesn’t include tent poles/trekking pole. I still use cheapo kip mat (often two) tied to the outside but might get one of those Finnish rubber ones. I think Helikon quote the Bergen as 18L, I think it’s more certainly the side pockets are huge.
I’d struggle to have more than a couple of days food in it.

I wear a big waist pack too so I’m cheating with the picture. That has a canteen, cup, stove, jacket and packet of smash and eggs in it. Might add a Grayl filter for on the go. Probably 30-40L total volume. Never weighed it.

Winter time I have an Alice pack I got from here. So Lightweight isn’t my bag baby!

Last edited:
Reactions: Erbswurst

Erbswurst

Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
You can make from a 3x3m tarp a fully enclosed pyramide tent if you want:

If you sleep regularly snug with a whet dog a down bag is no good idea, in my opinion.

Erbswurst

Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
In this case I would rather think about a rucksack for the dog:

Surely not so easy to find second hand though.

Reactions: Ozmundo

plastic-ninja

Jan 11, 2011
cumbria
I’d also dump the hawk. If you really need the extra oomph maybe baton with a slightly bigger knife. Tripod and big power bank as has been said already. A dry bag filled with spare clothes etc makes a nice alternative to a tripod for long exposures & a couple of small power banks will keep you going with frugal use of the gadgets.
Probably wouldn’t bother sawing the handle off your toothbrush just yet though.
Great that you are getting back in the saddle.
Ditch the saddle though: way too heavy!!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE