Favourite kit and why.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
What`s that lurking under the cheese in the bottom right corner, it looks like something the cat does sometimes.

Rich

Chance

Nomad
May 10, 2006
Aberdeenshire
No picture because (familiar story) it's lost: probably scope for cod philosophy about nostalgia.
My first sling: the leather patch from a pair jeans and two bits of cheap braided cord. Lived in my back pocket for years, until it was lent to one small child too many. Since replaced by one of the shed-bodged versions I've posted elsewhere.

I quite like my knife and lighter as well, but you don't (or shouldn't) get quite so attached to a tool that's easily replaceable; especially if you bought it yourself in the first place. And I've mislaid or replaced all the stuff given to me by my ancestors.

ANDYRAF

Settler
Mar 25, 2008
St Austell Cornwall
I think these are my most treasured items, I found them in the Falklands in Sept 1982 and I've used them ever since, there was a mug as well originally but that got borrowed.

Tins.jpg

Tins1.jpg

They have crest stamped in the handle "Erejecito Argentina Armada" and a name scratched on the lid Juan Angulo I hope he didn't have to pay for losing them.

Andy

MARMITE Eeeerrrggghhh!!!!!

BorderReiver

Mar 31, 2004
Norfolk U.K.
Hmmmm....well...at the risk of offending the knife experts here, I have to say I'm pretty fond of this ol' Buck knife. We go back together over 35 years and it has made a lot of woodchips for me. ;)

buck1b.jpg

I don't travel without a good whittler in my pocket.

Anyone with a feeling for knives would be more than happy to carry that "ol' Buck knife".:)

korvin karbon

Native
Jul 12, 2008
Fife
I think these are my most treasured items, I found them in the Falklands in Sept 1982 and I've used them ever since, there was a mug as well originally but that got borrowed.

They have crest stamped in the handle "Erejecito Argentina Armada" and a name scratched on the lid Juan Angulo I hope he didn't have to pay for losing them.

Andy

MARMITE Eeeerrrggghhh!!!!!

Spoils of war.

I do have to say, i like the design, the integrated spoon is a good idea. Could you provide a pic with something alongside it for scale/

cheers

soa_uk

Forager
Jul 12, 2005
Highlands
My favourite piece of kit is probably my hammock. Bought in a Magikelly group buy; loads of nights out; converted loads of folk to hammocks.

Makes it easy and comfortable to sleep out, even for a 50 year old fat lad.

ANDYRAF

Settler
Mar 25, 2008
St Austell Cornwall
Spoils of war.

I do have to say, i like the design, the integrated spoon is a good idea. Could you provide a pic with something alongside it for scale/

cheers

I think it's the same as the old US style mess tins. About Viet-nam era I think, no doubt if I'm wrong I'll soon be informed. The KFS is a standard worldwide clip-set.

MessKit.jpg

A standard bic lighter in the frame for contrast. They are not very deep but I find them adequate.

Andy:beerchug:

saddle_tramp

Need to contact Admin...
Jul 13, 2008
West Cornwall
No camera, so no pics im affraid

But id have to say my old gypsy peg knife, its the only knife i ever made so its kinda sentimental. Its so simple by the standards of this place. Blade ground from a vintage carbon bread knife, apple wood hooked handle, a worn down brass ferral and a couple of horseshoe nails to keep the blade in.

I never really get too attached to kit, cos it ends up getting nicked or lost somehow, but if i lost that knife, i reckon id feel proper gut shot

maddave

Jan 2, 2004
Manchester UK
My favourite bit of kit is a very small item. It's a British Army can opener similar to the one below
41ARV81CAGL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

It's the very first one I got out of my first ever ration pack when I joined the mob. Dated 1973 it's carbon steel not like the new alloy ones and I just loved it's simplicity and how well it worked, so I kept it on a small bit of bright green cord all through my service and to this day, although now it lives on the clip that holds my KFS together.

Tor helge

Settler
May 23, 2005
Northern Norway
www.torbygjordet.com
My favorite kit is as follows.

best_kit.jpg

-The Jerven mountain tarp. A versatile tarp that is always with me in the woods. I think someone on the forum had a review of this tarp earlier. This is a very good piece of kit and could be a lifesaver. Thats why I carry it.
-The Bacho Laplander folding saw. Just a good folding saw.
-When it comes to knives it is not so simple as using only one. But the two I use most is the 8 inch Strømeng sami knife and an old discontinued model from Brusletto. The Strømeng I got from my father in 1984 and I`ve used it since. It is one of my oldest knives.
The Brusletto (model Hallingen) I got from a friend who found it in the woods. The tip was broken. I fixed the tip and made a sheath for it (actually it is now in it`s second sheath). The knife is very sharp and I like the size and feel of it. It has been with me for about 20 years. I`m currently making a third sheath for it. Hopefully the last.

Tor

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
A fourteen years old archaeologists trowel. It started out as a 4 and a half inches, drop forged WHS pointing trowel, it's way under three now.
Sounds odd, but it's just so useful. I can dig holes, roots, bulbs, peel bark, scrape fibres, tidy fires, use it like a spatula, crack nuts, crush garlic..............brilliant wee bit of kit :D

cheers,
Toddy

Mikey P

Nov 22, 2003
Glasgow, Scotland
Is that a Gerber Gator? I always used to find Gerbers difficult to sharpen until I had a go on the square handled folder, not sure of its' name. On a waterstone, it came up really well, razor sharp and quite durable. I wish I had bought one myself sometimes, along with the Cold Steel SRK's for 25 USD!

Bit of BX/PX shopping, eh? I've still got a Gerber Gator I bought in Incirlik in 1996! It is outrageous how cheap you can get some of the Gerber/Leatherman/Cold Steel stuff when you are ...er... 'out of area'. I used to spend a fortune at Baghram every time I went there... :D

I think my most used bit of kit is probably my Leatherman. I had a Supertool for 8 years and then gave it to my dad when I upgraded to a Wave (which, by the way, is excellent). I also have a Skeletool which sits in my workbag. Unfortunately, the Leatherman Wave stays in my field kit at the moment - I can't fit it on my stable belt! Ah well...

phaserrifle

Nomad
Jun 16, 2008
South of England
my favorite kit is either:
-my hammock. our explorer group all built our own hammocks early this year, and most of us have been inseperable from them since
-my belt, made of a decent thickness of leather, only decent belt iv'e ever been able to find, bought at the new forest show a couple of years ago (this year I bought a second one)
OR
-paracord :D because you can do so manny things with the stuff, it's even more versatile than the best multi-tool, I suppose you could say the same for gaffa tape.

Grooveski

Native
Aug 9, 2005
Glasgow
Probably the Pack. It may sink like a stone on some river drops, ship some water in heavier waves, be nigh-on impossible to climb back into and a touch slow but it never fails to put a smile on my face.

And although it's three times the weight of the Sairy Gamp it still oozies the Nessmuk vibe. Stick on a rucksack, hang the boat off your shoulder with a single and double blade paddle in it and away you go....:)

Pack.jpg

Gailainne

Life Member
My Swisschamp

This was quite difficult, there are a couple of things I dont ever go anywhere camping without, however this won because I've had one in my possession for at least 25 years, I'm on my second, (I lost my original one, left it in my sisters flat in Cairns). Second to this would be my cook set, 2 pots and a frying pan with copper bottoms, Ive added a tatonka trangia, clikstand, potgrab and a few other items, all fit inside the original bag.

Stephen

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE