Whats your oldest kit

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

neoaliphant

Settler
Aug 24, 2009
Somerset
I spent hours looking through the Bukta Scout and Guide catalogue in the fifties. I never did get a Gilwell pan set. I did get a seven in one tool that incorporated a shovel axe and saw among other things. As you might expect it didn’t do any of them very well.

7 and 1 tool in the 50s, that was ahead of its time

Kepis

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
The oldest piece of equipment i still have that i (my dad) purchased has to be this old sheath knife that i got from Scout Shops forty plus years ago when I was getting ready for my first hiking 'expedition' to Dartmoor on a school trip, the school kit list recommended a sheath knife, how times have changed.

It originally had an antler handle, but that fell apart a long time ago, so I rehandled it with stacked leather and a Cherry end cap.

53437591115_a79bb253a1_c.jpg

Its been well used and doesnt get the use it probably should as it holds so many great memories of multiple trips to Dartmoor as well as all sorts of adventures over the South Downs when i was a nipper.

GreyCat

Nov 1, 2023
South Wales, UK
My oldest kit must be my restored billhooks and axes. All proper vintage, some 1950s, some 1920s and the odd Victorian piece. Then there's my old rucksacks- a larger one and a smaller one, both external framed Karrimor from the 1970's or so. These things I have bought more recently, as vintage.

But things I have had for years, that's more difficult. I have a Leatherman Juice from (I think) the early to mid 1990's, one of the early ones. (Recently relegated to "special duties only" it as it has sentimental value and I don't want to lose it). Buried somewhere I have a basic SAK from the early/mid 1980's.

Quite a bit of my basic kit is from the early to mid 1990's as that's when I had garnered enough £££ to get my own stuff rather than borrowing my dad's old kit including his Trangia (late 1970's), Phoenix sleeping bag and tent (both early/mid 1980's).

GC

pichi1

Jan 5, 2012
Madrid
A woolen swedish army jacket marked 1957; in perfect condition, its my go-to jacket in the winter,
a K-Bar from the 80s, i have tried several other knives, but its still the best.
My fathers elk skin boots from canada, i think he got them in the late 70,s

Reactions: Ozmundo

Watch-keeper

Life Member
Sep 3, 2013
London
My oldest still in use bits of kit that I bought new are;
Macpac day sack that was bought in 1995 and still in regular use.
Therm-a-rest + mountain equipment down sleeping bag that were bought around the same time which were both used last month.
Rab down vest, olive green and grey bought in Survival Aids Euston some time in the late 80s, still used this winter.

Im sure If I dig around a bit I could find some older kit but those are the things that spring to mind mainly because they have been very good value for money.

TLM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
I have from grandfather the earlier model from that -1930. Now retired to drawer duty. It is also somewhat a piece of history as some years ago a noticed it has "Suojeluskunta" stamps on it.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE