What did you buy today?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Stringmaker

Native
Sep 6, 2010
UK
Well done...great little hat it is. I succumb to buying one a few weeks ago. :)

Finally got hold of a merino wool buff at the weekend. :)

Nice one, thanks for the confirmation.

I do a lot of standing about in exposed places watching footie over the winter and I thought I'd treat myself. Another few quid in Uncle Ray's coffers!

joe.ford

Forager
Apr 8, 2004
Essex
If he's the same Richard Head I've met was it longbows or arrows? The guy makes beautiful kit!

That's the chap, feel sorry for the chap. His stand was next to the van doing a hog roast, must of been getting hungry from the smell. Unfortunately he wasn't making anything when we finally got to him, but the bows looked very nice. I'm told I'm not allowed one:rolleyes:

Just to save starting a new thread.

Just read my axe book (for my new toy). And it tells me I should grease the head after use.

Is it all right to use vegie oil?

marsbar

Sep 12, 2011
south west
Hi, I always use olive oil to clean and protect my axe. Take care not to use too much on the handle you Don't want that slippery!! Cheers M.

bigroomboy

Nomad
Jan 24, 2010
West Midlands
I would availd olive oil. Only because thats what I used to use for treating knives etc so they were food safe but it goes off getting all sticky and then smelly. better bet it walnut or peanut oil. quite cheap for a little bottle from the supermarket

Alex

bigroomboy

Nomad
Jan 24, 2010
West Midlands
Maybe I should add to that sorry, I use linseed oil on the handle of my axe ( quite cheap from wilko) which I also use on all wooden handles and just about any wood in the kitchen. and just about any oil on the axe head. I fine my bike chain lube is god on the head, its diluted for application than dries off a bit.

Alex

Rod Paradise

Oct 16, 2008
Upper Nithsdale, Dumfriesshire
http://www.heinnie.com/product.asp?P_ID=6688&V_ID=9659&strPageHistory=wishlist

6688.jpg

And

http://www.heinnie.com/product.asp?P_ID=4721&V_ID=6570&strPageHistory=wishlist

4721.jpg

Going to need to hide the credit card though because I can feel some other purchases coming!!

The shovel head is huge - 8 1/4 x 9 1/8 inches - and sharp - as a slice in the sheath & 2 in my hands will testify. Handle's a bit rough and ready - some grinding work ahead to smooth it out. It's a seriously lethal weapon disguised as a tool. I'm thinking of grinding off the paint on one side & it'll then be quadruple-purpose, camp shovel, axe, skillet & decapitator. For the price I can't knock it, although I doubt the sheath will last long, any leatherworking gurus fancy getting creative?

The knife is a cracker, blades fairly sharp & quick to sharpen up & the ruler a cracking piece of design.

I also got the 2011 Blade Source Book - I REALLY need to loan it to someone & get it out of the house or I'll spend a fortune!!!!

Last edited:

Mike8472

Jul 28, 2009
west yorkshire
due to the boredom of working my night shift and the lack of will power that 24hrs without sleep brings; I had to fill the void with internet impulse buys for the impending winter.
I have just bought 2x german army rubberised ponchos, british army arctic hat, German army parka with fleece liner.

I have my eye on a pair of berghaus gaiters and some neoprene gloves too; Damn ebay!!!!!

Stringmaker

Native
Sep 6, 2010
UK
A hedgelaying course with my local wildlife trust.

I don't posess a hedge but you never know when you may need to lay one...

Yesterday I also bought my first "manly" garden shovel and fork from a tool seller at a local show. Having lived in flats most of my life this is a rite of passgae I feel. They are "pre-owned" rather than brand new and are excellent quality.

Last edited:

Stringmaker

Native
Sep 6, 2010
UK
Awesome, I recently did a hedgelaying course as part of a Countryside Management course, found it really fun! Hope you enjoy it as much as I did mate.

Cheers, I'm sure I will.

I've done a basic intro course but this one is more thorough.

Graham_S

Squirrely!
Feb 27, 2005
Saudi Arabia
I just bought a Bear Grylls Ultimate Knife.
It was in the local B&Q equivalent, and it was a decent price.
I'm very pleased with it, The orange branding isn't as bright and obvious as the photos suggest, and it certainly feels like it's good quality.
I look forward to having a play with it.

Stringmaker

Native
Sep 6, 2010
UK
A cheese grater for preparing fine tinder, plus two cheap chammy leathers to make tinder pouches, all for three quid.

Cheap?

Moi?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE