What did you forage today?

demented dale

Dec 16, 2021
hell
Watch the plantain and get the seeds before they spill. They'll thicken a stew....bit like a native version of chia seeds :)
Thanks Toddy. thats a new one to me. I never tire of finding out new things. I am away now but hope to be back in the next cupla weeks x

Well, not foraged today, but earlier this week:
Linden or Lime blossom.

It's one of my favourite annual rituals.

You know when it's ready, usually around midsummer's day, that delicious honey-like smell drifts through the air on a warm summer day.

Plants feel a little late this year though, and a lot of the trees weren't ready on the 21st. That said, whether the flowers are ready varies a lot, from tree to tree, but also on the same tree depending on their aspect.

It makes a delicious tea for calming the nerves and helping you into a gentle sleep. It's great for calming kids as well.

This batch took less than 2 hours to collect, not long. Quiet and gentle picking of an evening is more pleasure than hardship.
Carefully dried it should last me through the year, stored in an airtight jar.

ABUNDANCE!
20240625_202253.jpg

20240625_193659.jpg
Black fingers from the amount of pollen and nectar.

20240624_200746.jpg

Billy-o

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 19, 2018
Canada
There's a large watermint patch in one of the ravines near us and an exactly similar, shaded damp spot in the garden waiting for it. The river is stinking polluted though, despite the beginnings of efforts to clean it. I was watching a lot of 4-5" trout this morning. So, might yet transplant a bit and see.

Reactions: William_Montgomery

Suffolkrafter

Settler
Dec 25, 2019
Suffolk
I planted tomatoes and beans a while ago. Inexplicably, what has sprouted in their place is something completely different. I believe one is figleaved goosefoot and the other is another sort of orache or goosefoot. Not easy plants to identify on an individual basis, but my understanding is that it doesn't matter - they are all edible, albeit they contain saponins and are best cooked. I've yet to try them. I will enjoy getting to know them first.

[/u
rl]

rowen

Jul 8, 2004
Derbyshire
Well not me mainly doing the foraging but wild raspberries are abundant , she can’t wait for the blackberries to be here!

Attachments

• IMG_7664.jpeg
    IMG_7664.jpeg
    256 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_7665.jpeg
    IMG_7665.jpeg
    477.2 KB · Views: 6
Reactions: Brizzlebush

grainweevil

Forager
Feb 18, 2023
Cornwall
The recent spell of warm sunny weather meant the first blackberries of the season were ready to be picked yesterday evening. Not many, but enough to be cooked up with a bramley apple. Into the freezer to come as a very welcome reminder of summer sometime in the depths of January or February.

Reactions: slowworm

demented dale

Dec 16, 2021
hell
i have been eating wild raspberries. lots about.
Ps I just noticed they are called rasPberriies with P. Well i never, all my life I never noticed that, i thought it was raSSberry.

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
The recent spell of warm sunny weather meant the first blackberries of the season were ready to be picked yesterday evening.
Not quite foraging but I've just picked some large blackberries from plants I've found and brought with me in a couple of house moves. Large fruits that are sweet enough to eat raw and rampant thorny beasties that grow well and produce huge amounts of fruit.

demented dale

Dec 16, 2021
hell
i found out about duckweed today. from what i saw it is a protein rich and abundent wild edible. the video does not focus on its nutritional attributes but is a general overview of the plant,

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
Some wild raspberries, though they are almost gone now, lovely big blackberries, a few mulberries and five field mushrooms. Together with a nice baby courgette, a handful of runner beans and 3 eggs, which I swopped with a friend for a large punnet of blackberries from my secret spot that are the size of grapes and ripen early.
Not a penny spent, and I will have a lovely herb and mushroom omelette (fresh herbs from the garden) with fresh veg, and a delicious fruit crumble for pudding. (I don't count the crumble topping as I always have butter, g/f flour and oats in the house.)
All from a couple of hundred yards from the house., not even one food mile!

Last edited:

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
Managed to get about half a pound of damsons today, most were out of reach, but I'll keep an eye out for fallers to add to a small bottle of gin in a kilner jar.
Shame they cut down the big damson tree at the bottom of the road, this one is the last remaining of three, and incredibly awkward to get to.

Chris

Life Member
Sep 20, 2022
Lincolnshire
A pound of blackberries, to make some bramble brandy.

There were thousands of them in the woods I visited today though, so might go back for some more.

Never made (woah-oh Black Betty) bramble jam before, so might give that a go.

demented dale

Dec 16, 2021
hell
What did you find, forage and use from nature today.
I found and ate wood sorrel, penny/navel wort and 3 cornered leek. I also found but didnt eat lesser celandine and primroses. And I tapped a birch tree using a new method I've not tried whereby a branch is tapped and not the trunk. x
I found chicken of the woods today. that is a first for me. some one had already foraged a large part of it and another specimen in the same place, x

Attachments

• chicken of the woods 2.jpg
    chicken of the woods 2.jpg
    507 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:

demented dale

Dec 16, 2021
hell
What did you find, forage and use from nature today.
I found and ate wood sorrel, penny/navel wort and 3 cornered leek. I also found but didnt eat lesser celandine and primroses. And I tapped a birch tree using a new method I've not tried whereby a branch is tapped and not the trunk. x
i found field mushrooms today and picked some blackberries, x

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE