What did you forage today?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

demented dale

Dec 16, 2021
hell
What did you find, forage and use from nature today.
I found and ate wood sorrel, penny/navel wort and 3 cornered leek. I also found but didnt eat lesser celandine and primroses. And I tapped a birch tree using a new method I've not tried whereby a branch is tapped and not the trunk. x

Last edited:

demented dale

Dec 16, 2021
hell
It's been miserable weather here for the most part today, but I had bittercress, tansy, sycamore peas, and some pignuts.
Sycamore peas?. What are they? never heard of them and no reference on line I can find.

Last edited:

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Sycamore peas? please tell me more. What are they, where and what nutrition do they contain. Thanks in advance. d x
Sycamore peas are lovely, and well worth the effort of digging several feet down for. Stand with the tree at your back and walk 10-15 paces in a straight line, and then dig. Have a basket ready, when you find one, you’ll find loads! :whistling:

demented dale

Dec 16, 2021
hell
Sycamore peas are lovely, and well worth the effort of digging several feet down for. Stand with the tree at your back and walk 10-15 paces in a straight line, and then dig. Have a basket ready, when you find one, you’ll find loads.

Sycamore peas are lovely, and well worth the effort of digging several feet down for. Stand with the tree at your back and walk 10-15 paces in a straight line, and then dig. Have a basket ready, when you find one, you’ll find load

Last edited:

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Overwintering sycamore keys look dead and brown, but inside the seed end, there's a bright green seed...the pea :)
Just now the blasted things are sprouting by the thousand around here. There's an eighty foot sycamore growing just over the other side of the path that runs along side the burn outside my garden. I'm pulling up hundreds of seedling every week just now.

The peas are a seasonal munchy. I have no idea how many would be safe to eat, I know I've eaten them all my life to no ill effect, that I just eat a few at a time. Just part of the seasonal round.

I knew this had come up before, so I searched and I found the older thread.

Reactions: DocG

demented dale

Dec 16, 2021
hell
Overwintering sycamore keys look dead and brown, but inside the seed end, there's a bright green seed...the pea :)
Just now the blasted things are sprouting by the thousand around here. There's an eighty foot sycamore growing just over the other side of the path that runs along side the burn outside my garden. I'm pulling up hundreds of seedling every week just now.

The peas are a seasonal munchy. I have no idea how many would be safe to eat, I know I've eaten them all my life to no ill effect, that I just eat a few at a time. Just part of the seasonal round.

Yes thanks. I read that which was the only reference I managed to find. I thought Nice 65 was winding me up telling me to go digging for peas but yeah I know now its the seed in the helicopter. I will check them out. I also read you can eat the ones off ash trees amongst others. x

Reactions: Toddy

demented dale

Dec 16, 2021
hell

ps . what time of year is best for them or is it anytime? x

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Pretty much anytime, but just now they're sprouting two leaves. The leaves are straight, about two inches long and the root is a long robust white thing. Sturdy sort of seed. If you catch them just as they're trying to uncurl then I think they're sweeter.

M

Reactions: demented dale

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Yes thanks. I read that which was the only reference I managed to find. I thought Nice 65 was winding me up telling me to go digging for peas but yeah I know now it’s the seed in the helicopter. I will check them out. I also read you can eat the ones off ash trees amongst others. x
Apologies, I was indeed ripping the proverbial.

Attachments

• IMG_3817.jpeg
    IMG_3817.jpeg
    44.3 KB · Views: 4

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
well done x

T hello. whats sea glass please? x

Sea glass are bits of glass that have been abraded and rolled & tossed in surf, sand and small stones to create a small and pretty piece of glass that has a more organic smooth feel to it.

Mar 25, 2024
Chesterfield
I’m not a confident forager, but the woods are starting to smell of wild garlic.

A huge mulberry tree near me should be coming to life soon too, although a long wait for the fruit.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Today was dandelions and nettles.

I'm going to pot up some dandelions and see if I can grow big roots. I like dandelion coffee but digging up the plants in our heavy clay soil is not fun. If I pot them in good home made compost though...... :)

Tantalus

May 10, 2004
Galashiels
Today was dandelions and nettles.

I'm going to pot up some dandelions and see if I can grow big roots. I like dandelion coffee but digging up the plants in our heavy clay soil is not fun. If I pot them in good home made compost though...... :)
Pot them in sand with a bare minimum of compost they will do fine - they always do.

The sand will just make it a doddle to harvest the roots.

Always wanted to overwinter some at the allotment in a cold frame and get the very first "salad" in "spring".

Reactions: Toddy

demented dale

Dec 16, 2021
hell
Pot them in sand with a bare minimum of compost they will do fine - they always do.

The sand will just make it a doddle to harvest the roots.

Always wanted to overwinter some at the allotment in a cold frame and get the very first "salad" in "spring".
be interested to know results x

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE