What did you buy today?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

MikeLA

May 17, 2011
Northumberland
Stainless Steel mess tins arrived, unissued as promised but since they have been on a shelf in a Dutch Army warehouse since 09 I polished and then washed them inside and out.

View attachment 71470

A bit lighter gauge than the Zebras etc I'm used to but I've not heard of anyone burning through one. I'm happy with them.

Atb

Tom
Used these in the past as well, very good

punkrockcaveman

Jan 28, 2017
yorks
Well I've not slept on the ground for two years now. So I thought I'd reintroduce myself with the January sales, firstly with an alpkit hunka xl in the olive 'kelp' colour reduced from 65 to 50, and a multimat mod 10xl in olive reduced from 15 to 11 from Tamarack outdoors. Almost got the army bivi but the hunka wins on weight and the price is virtually the same. Good Times ahead hopefully...

Reactions: Broch

henchy3rd

Settler
Apr 16, 2012
Derby
Jug deep into my pockets & ordered a carbon Terava Skarma 240 heavy duty knife with brown leather sheath(has a plastic insert).from a company in Finland called Verusteleka.
I could of spent a fortune on their website, so had to prize myself away?

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Ordered a pair of boiled wool mits from here

Since a tenner seamed a reasonable price and I've wanted to try Dachstein type mitts but have been put off by the £30 plus they normally sold for. I've some old unissued army goretex outer mitts to go over them.

Herself no longer tells me what the postage is when ordering me stuff as she found me going off on a rant or outright refusing to finish the order when i find out how wide the reamer is annoying......

May lanolise them when the arrive.

Atb

Tom
The mitts arrived and I'm very pleased with them. I had the vague worry they would be big on me even with liners underneath but they as spot on, more like large than XL in my reckoning. I could still wear liners but they don't need shrinking. I'll lanolin them when next I do my wool hats and will sew a couple of cotton tape loops inside so I can do the toddler thing of running a cord from one, up the sleeve and down the other to the other mitt. They may look stupid on a adult but better than losing one and more versatile than clipping them to D rings on a jackets cuffs.

Atb

Tom

Last edited:
Reactions: wookii and Winnet

Dougster

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 13, 2005
The banks of the Deveron.
Made my Christmas and Birthday....

I love the Spyderco bushcrafter but found the G10 handle very heavy. I know a lady that turns wood and had an ash tree that had fallen in Wales, almost midway between where I was born and where I grew up.

Sending the since ash from it's drying barn in Caersws, to stabilisarion, to Chris and getting more and more excited I got home today to this absolute stunner. Light, dexterous, everything I wanted with a piece of wood that matters to me.

To say I have finally got my dream knife after about 20 years of searching would be about right.

Huge thanks to the gentleman Chris Claycomb.

Attachments

• IMG-20220110-WA0001.jpg
    IMG-20220110-WA0001.jpg
    159.7 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG-20220110-WA0002.jpg
    IMG-20220110-WA0002.jpg
    252.1 KB · Views: 21
Reactions: Isshogai and Nice65

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Ordered one of these yesterday

And it's slated to be delivered tomorrow.

I've seen a few reviews on you tube and was looking for something a bit larger than what I have for cooking for two using charcoal mainly. It was cheap enough a d shiny. It won't get used that much so couldn’t merit something Gucci in Ti and everything cheap was made in China, which I normaly avoid, but they seam to have the market sewn up.

Pics when it arrives

PS This AM ordered 2 x4 kg bags of AustraIian Heat Beads as no where local now does them. They seam to be industry standard in Aussie Bush Cooking and there's charts saying how many to use to get a certain heat in X conditions . I do have a unopened sack of them bought at Tescos about 8 years back when I first got my two Southern Metal Spinners bush ovens but have only used them with fire embers. I'm not sure what state they will be in but they have been stored in a warm dry place and not been crushed. Anyroad the discount on the two bags sor tof cancelled out the postage so I thought I would give up on looking and bite the bullet and order some.

Saw a titanium shovel head yesterday by a yank firm with a name something like Near Zero.... even to me that seamed a bit pointless. I've a cheepo tin hearth job from a hardware shop I've pegged a longer handle to, well two come to think of it, one smaller than the other, which does the job fine. It's not as if id be carrying a camp oven and it's paraphernalia any distance.

Atb
Tom

Last edited:

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
The grill arrived and I'm pretty pleased with it. OK I'd have preferred if it was made of a excessive gauge of steel, but for no good reason. The edges are rolled which is a nice touch and the slots for the fuel tray are arranged so that with turning the back and side part upside-down you can have the tray at 4 heights.

20220116_170343.jpg

20220116_170459.jpg

There's a optional plate to act as ascreen on the front when using charcoal, a heavier gauge top for pans and a mesh one for grilling on.

It came with a decent toy made telescopic blowing tube and this odd little plate which is to burn .I quid or gell fuels on, I think. The instructions are in German.

As with everything I've had from China the carry case was pretty naff, made from a coarse woven synthetic with a plastic toothed zip. By chance I'd a spare cotton and steel toothed zip exactly the same size, 2 for a pound from a charity shop made the other side of Bury. I'll stencil something on it so I can tell at a glance what's in it.

I'll do a proper write up elsewhere whenever iveused it a bit.

Atb

Tom

Attachments

• 20220116_170343.jpg
    20220116_170343.jpg
    541.6 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:
Reactions: wookii

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Popped into the outdoor pursuits shop in Blackburn and picked up for a song a about 45 litre Macpac bag. I've just replaced my bushy daybag and it's quite robust and heavy for its size and not especially well suited to go with my lightweight walking kit so I've been looking for something light and without the bells and whistles.

What it is is the Macpac UK rep gets samples of kit, sometimes in non standard colours or with new features to take to the shops to get feed back before they go into production. So what I've got is, I think, a roll top Macpac in three shades of green with lots of interesting little details that as far as I can make out never went into production. It has the generic Macpac markings but no model name or volume, no hand book and was possibly made in NZ rather than China.

It's very well made, has a removable thick wire frame which would reduce the weight even more, has a internal waterbag pocket and tube vent. There's a large map pocket on the front and a smaller one on the roll up collar. Pics would help.

20220117_205507.jpg

20220117_205541.jpg

20220117_205627.jpg

20220117_205809.jpg

I've had a good poke about and not found a production version. I don't think I've bought a pup. I'm tempted to tape up the water tube vent as with the seams all taped it's the only place water can get in once the lid is rolled up. Then again air needs to escape somewhere or I may pop the thing! The external pockets on either side and on the waist belt all have sewn in drain holes.

The back length is nominally size two but when I test fitted it in the shop it seamed plenty long enough for me, my other macpacs being size 3s although I have the adjustable ones set as short as they go. I'm six foot with relatively short legs by the way.

I'm hoping it will be weatherproof enough not to need a drybag liner, further lowering the weight I'm hauling.

The belt is on the short side ( rather than me being too fat of course ) but the design means I can take the two sides off the buckles and swap in longer pieces of 1.5inch webbing without much faffing.

OK not really bushy but it is green!

ATB

Tom

Last edited:

swyn

Life Member
Nov 24, 2004
Eastwards!
Not really ‘Bushcrafty’ but I bought two Afghan hand woven kilim cushions for my wife’s Birthday which is soon.
These will be used when we start to use our camping area in better weather so out-doorsy enough I hope
Anyhoo, I have faith that some of the money, as promised by the vendor, will go to the ladies in Afghanistan who weave these lovely items and thus put food on their families tables.
S

Reactions: TeeDee and Aneirin

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
The 8kg of Heat Beads we ordered from Dawsons Department Store on Sunday have arrived (Tuesday AM) so excellent service there.

20220118_114357.jpg

I was looking on the interweb for a small pair of tongs for arranging the burning beads on the lids of the various ovens but after seeing some realised i had a couple already that I'd picked up on car boots and was using to remove metal bits from various derusting pickles etc. One pairs got quite a wide working end so would pack down less easily so l've added the pair in the pic above to my outdoor cooking kit along with the welders gloves and flue thermometer.

I seam to have lost my chart of various numbers of heat beads to give a certain temperature in certain sized ovens still print them off and laminate them again.

It's, for the first time in ages, lovely out, the grounds actually dried out and ideal for trying a bit of outdoor cookery but I had a eye injection yesterday afternoon so am forbidden from doing owt dusty, smokey or even splashy for 3 days! I can't even wash my hair for another two days or my face with anything that will actually remove the big black arrow pointing at my left eye they drew on. Sods law in action.

Atb

Tom

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE