What did you buy today?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
The Jo Clews book arrived, in good condition despite being ex library withdrawn stock. Lots of interesting recipes. Like nearly all modern cook books it's spoiled by too many too large glossy pics of the finished dishes, take them out and it would make for a far handier sized tome.

Herself has just ordered me a two quid something, plus postage copy of Australian Bush Cooking by Cathy Savage.

Atb

Tom

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Excellent! I'm prepping gear for the spring. Yesterday I picked up a supposedly ash 28mm broom handle ( well its not pine and is some sort of hardwood ) which I've sanded down to 26mm, cut down to as long as I could keep it without overbalencing the pan, turned the end down to fit the pans socket and rigged up a brass peg on a chain to make it easier to take the handle off. Anyway it's done, I'm happy with it and I don't need to make another case as the pan with the short handle fits into the one I made for a light GSI Ally pan I got to use on gas and petrol stoves. I'm very unlikely to want to take two frying pans on a trip.

From the hinge the long handle is 31.5 inches.

20220107_234937.jpg

It should stop me cooking my self and save my aging back! I'll season the steel parts tomorrow after a good clean.

Atb

Tom

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Ordered a pair of boiled wool mits from here

Since a tenner seamed a reasonable price and I've wanted to try Dachstein type mitts but have been put off by the £30 plus they normally sold for. I've some old unissued army goretex outer mitts to go over them.

Herself no longer tells me what the postage is when ordering me stuff as she found me going off on a rant or outright refusing to finish the order when i find out how wide the reamer is annoying......

May lanolise them when the arrive.

Atb

Tom

Last edited:

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Excellent! I'm prepping gear for the spring. Yesterday I picked up a supposedly ash 28mm broom handle ( well its not pine and is some sort of hardwood ) which I've sanded down to 26mm, cut down to as long as I could keep it without overbalencing the pan, turned the end down to fit the pans socket and rigged up a brass peg on a chain to make it easier to take the handle off. Anyway it's done, I'm happy with it and I don't need to make another case as the pan with the short handle fits into the one I made for a light GSI Ally pan I got to use on gas and petrol stoves. I'm very unlikely to want to take two frying pans on a trip.

From the hinge the long handle is 31.5 inches.

View attachment 71520

It should stop me cooking my self and save my aging back! I'll season the steel parts tomorrow after a good clean.

Atb

Tom

Is that Pan hinged?

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Yup. Looks quite strong. I've seasoned it so it now looks naff but once I've used it a few times it will even out. At least it can't rust now. I've put the small handle back on for storage.

Reactions: TeeDee

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Yup. Looks quite strong. I've seasoned it so it now looks naff but once I've used it a few times it will even out. At least it can't rust now. I've put the small handle back on for storage.

Interesting - where did you source it from?

By the way - I'm coveting your workshop area - looks incredible!!!

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
I got it from here

It arrived quicker than some Dutch mess tins so I ordered at the same time which only had to come from the other side of the county, excellent service and very well packed.

Yeah I'm pretty lucky with old workshop. The top floor of the house is one big room back from when it was a weavers cottage, the rest of the house got converted into a normal house at some point after the 1820s but the top floor was left, it's about big enough for 6 or 8 hand looms. 2 /3 rds of it's is carpeted and the the third is bare boards with all my toys. Dry warm and secure, can't ask for more really although dust is a problem as I only have the most basic extraction system. I should sort that now I've a bit of spare cash.

20220107_235001.jpg

I need to make a big false top for the pool table so I can use it as a cutting surface and rig better lighting over the industrial sink in the kitchen area. Well Kitchen is a bit grand, there is a kettle, fridge and a two ring baby Belling clone with a little oven/ grill thing.

Since they wouldn't otherwise see me the place is pretty much a family room, good job we all like faffing about making things.

Atb

Tom

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
I got it from here

It arrived quicker than some Dutch mess tins so I ordered at the same time which only had to come from the other side of the county, excellent service and very well packed.

Yeah I'm pretty lucky with old workshop. The top floor of the house is one big room back from when it was a weavers cottage, the rest of the house got converted into a normal house at some point after the 1820s but the top floor was left, it's about big enough for 6 or 8 hand looms. 2 /3 rds of it's is carpeted and the the third is bare boards with all my toys. Dry warm and secure, can't ask for more really although dust is a problem as I only have the most basic extraction system. I should sort that now I've a bit of spare cash.

View attachment 71545

I need to make a big false top for the pool table so I can use it as a cutting surface and rig better lighting over the industrial sink in the kitchen area. Well Kitchen is a bit grand, there is a kettle, fridge and a two ring baby Belling clone with a little oven/ grill thing.

Since they wouldn't otherwise see me the place is pretty much a family room, good job we all like faffing about making things.

Atb

Tom

Are you quite a decent wood worker then?? If so I may have a project for you.

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Not as good as I used to be, not made owt elaborate from wood for a age it seams. The wife accuses me of only using all the tools to restore other tools. At the moment I'm deep in doing DIY now we can afford to , playing catch up. I've just started turning again , small jobs as lost my whole stock of sycamore to splitting and the price of turning blanks is shocking. This year I'm intending to up my game, get a outdoors work bench set up so I can do some real messy stuff with power carving tools. So many projects and plans piled up.

Atb

Tom

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
From ebay as I can't find cheaper, 100m of 18/3 olive linen thread. Even from there it's painfully expensive but it's what I end for several sewing projects. Should be here Thursday.

Atb

Tom

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE