What did you buy today?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
I have just mortgaged a portion of soul and ordered a Reeder Products Surface Grinder
I want to make some folding knives and the problem of making blades flat and parallel, of a precise thickness, and matching spacers of a precise thickness, has been a big hurdle. I expect it will be very handy on fixed blades to.

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Robens Breath 80 airbed for summer use, I wanted something that packed up smaller and was thicker when inflated than my thermorests,

Herself has ordered me a 15 litre pump sack to go with

2 size #2 Nite ize locking S crabs' to hang my sticks off the shoulder straps of a couple of sacks for when I want my hands free. I had been using great big crabs left over from Herselfs caving days.

2 mini Bic lighters, no one in Blackburn has the full size ones.

ATB

Tom

Jared

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2005
Wales
Passed by UpAndUnder in Cardiff. Plan was to buy a replacement whistle after trodden on last one few years ago and stormproof matches.

Came out with...

LMF Scout rod
Stormproof matches
Box of firelighter wax/wood firelighters (80p for 3)
500ml Nalgene bottle, specifically for flavouring water as a fan of Robinson's Mini/Squash'd.
Klean Kanteen straws
Victorinox Classic SD

And forgot the whistle.

And within seconds of opening the SAK back home, it bit me.

Sep 8, 2020
Abergavenny
Just ordered a TJM Metalworks lightweight grill. I was tempted to get the mini fire anchor, but I feel this would likely be the more useful/practical of the 2.

2255002052.jpg

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Ordered just now and due on the 28th,one of these.

I had been looking for a uk source of the Pathfinder folding grill that they introduced not long since. I'd been looking for something like it for a while. I'm pretty sure they are made in China anyway like the takedown light tripod I got for about half what the pathfinder one was. Unsurprisingly there were several variations on the theme on Amazon, some probably from the same factory that's making the US sold version. One version had a mesh top rather than plain bars which I thought was a improvement.

Ok at 1.1lb it's heavy for its size but it's robust I'm after this one a nd the legs spread enough to go over my UCO veg steamer hearth. It claims to be good for 20kg. The nasty case I'll replace with a waxed canvas job.

6 inch square is just big enough for my big bush pot and new frying pan.

Pics when it's here and in use.

ATB

Tom

Jared

Sep 8, 2005
Wales
Couple of DMM XSRE locking carabiners.

Seems they had to put a Californian P65 cancer and reproductive warning sticker over the original label.

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Two yards of 1/4 inch mild steel rod and a yard of steel tube to match to make a wider version of the simple 3 legged stand/trivet like Stabilotherm make to go with their frying pans. The originals not quite wide enough to go over the UCO folding fire hearth steamer flower thing I use.

Also got 2 locking and 2 plain casters to make a rolling bed for the bandsaw thats now up and running again. Just need to get some thick plywood. Now the saws working again it wil really help me process wood for various projects , making small planks and blanks etc.

Atb

Tom

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Rock brand (expensive) nonstick oven roaster pan. First owner claimed he spent $180. Sold to me for $30. I've got a rack, really a cake rack. Really wish it had a proper lid, guess I'll use foil.
If it gets really crapped up, I might try to use it outdoors as a charcoal brazier for satay or kebabs..

Reactions: Winnet

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Picked up a 2 foot square offcut of 18mm ply for the band saw wheeled base and the nuts and bolts needed and ordered a 8 foot by 4 foot sheet of the same and 4 18mm x 6 mm edging strips to make a false top for the Sheds pool table to use as a cutting out table for sewing and leather work. I've some cheap felt to glue to the underside where it will come in to contact withthe French Polish. I've a big can of yacht varnish to finish it off. It should make a big difference to my ability to compete larger projects making bushy gear. Woods being delivered tomorrow.

Atb

Tom

Last edited:

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Just waiting for the third coat of yacht varnish to dry on the wheeled base. Should be strong enough.

20220201_155533.jpg

The 8 by 4 sheet of ply arrived, I directed the minions while they dragged it upstairs, I'll start on it tomorrow. I'll sand between coats on this one.

Nt

Should be big enough!

Atb

Tom
Varnish dried quickerthan I thought it was so we mounted it up. All four wheels lock so it shouldn't move any in use and if its does I'll store something heavy on the base.

20220201_215835.jpg
Picked up a 2 foot square offcut of 18mm ply for the band saw wheeled base and the nuts and bolts needed and ordered a 8 foot by 4 foot sheet of the same and 4 18mm x 6 mm edging strips to make a false top for the Sheds pool table to use as a cutting out table for sewing and leather work. I've some cheap felt to glue to the underside where it will come in to contact withthe French Polish. I've a big can of yacht varnish to finish it off. It should make a big difference to my ability to compete larger projects making bushy gear. Woods being delivered tomorrow.

Atb

Tom

Attachments

• 20220201_155621.jpg
    20220201_155621.jpg
    259.3 KB · Views: 33
Last edited:

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
A pair of these :) - half price from Go Outdoors so a good time to try them out.

The idea is to wear them under my canvas boots I wear for canoeing so, hopefully, keeping my feet dry getting in and out and with the inevitable water sloshing in the bottom of the canoe.

Tested, and I can say they appear to do what they say - waterproof. I won't be walking far in them so I'm hoping they will last.

Sealskinz.jpg

Last edited:

Klenchblaize

Nov 25, 2005
Greensand Ridge
The plastic LED key ring light I’ve had for some 10 years finally packed up so went for one of these:
Cutting out the leather to make a pouch for it as I write. Will also use a leather loop rather that attach the metal ring direct to the aluminium body.

K

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE