New upgrade to forums

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
The facility to view a list of who's posted in each thread is still working, but the link to view one persons posts seperately hasn't worked (for me) since the upgrade.

I quite like this upgrade goodjob - I hadn't even realised that we'd had any down time :cool:

Biker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Not sure if it's my PC or part of an upgrade glitch but going advanced in a reply the text rolls off the right side of the box parameters under the area of the smileys. Previewing the post settles it but any changes makes the text dive right back under the smiley again. Incidently not all those smiley faces show as complete faces, it's like there's just the top left corner of the quadrant of them, or very pixelated.

This is going to take some getting used to. Sorry to be such a downer on the hard work you've put into it, but I really did like the old setup, a lot.

PS Just hit post reply and saw I had typed "parameters" twice, pressed the edit button and now it shows I hadn't. I know what I saw too. This forum is starting to mess with my head now. I'm confused enough already I don't need a machine to start adding to that problem! :lmao:

PPS Yup I was right, in the final proof "paramters" shows up twice, but in the edit functions it appears only once. I'll leave it as is for you to see.

Last edited:

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
Thanks for all the feedback guys, it's what we need to get on top of the issues, keep in mind that this is all temporary as we work through the issues, it's unlikely to be exactly the same as it was but it will be close and have a lot more functionality, hopefully the best of both worlds :D Thanks for being patient :You_Rock_

theres going to be a fair few Glitches i still have some on BB afterthey upgraded but just ignore them now

one feature of the new software i like and have got used to on BB id when you look at lists of posts any you have psted in shows up with a green round symbol on the left side so you cna quickly scan to see where you have been and if any replys have come in etc saves trying to remember where you posted yesterday etc ;)

ATB

Duncan

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
Thanks for that Duncan I knew there would be some good points to all this :D

When you (everyone) posts a comment on here about something that does not work can you let us have some details, OS, browser, screen shot if you can etc so we can see the problem better, i'm finding it hard to replicate most of the issues using my firefox and IE setup and I know that it's working fine on every platform for a lot of people, we need more info :D

Biker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
How do you take screenshots? I can do it on my iphone, but not my laptop.

Press and hold Ctrl and Alt then press the Print Scrn/SysRq key beside the F12 key. Y'know one of those "I've never touched that one before" keys. This will copy whatever's on your screen at the time and put it on clipboard. You'll then have to paste it as a new work in whichever graphics program you use and save it as a .JPG

Now prove me wrong you damn tempremental machine! :nono:

Tony, When I said about the faults appearing, please don't think I'm not grateful for the upgrade, but listing all the things that do work would sort of get a tad tedious, so I limit myself to those things that aren't playing ball.
As for details. I'm using (hangs head in shame) Internet Explorer 6. Yes, it's old, but it does the job, at least used to. I also have Firefox 2.0 which is what I'm using now to type this and the previous problems I mentioned about text going under the smileys isn't happening using this browser.

My OS is Windows 3:1

:lmao: Naaaah jes' kidding, it's Win XP Professional mind you, none of that common riff raff, for the masses stuff on my PC, oh no. Got to keep up appearences don't you know.

Reactions: LarryBass

malente

Life member
Jan 14, 2007
Germany
I personally don't like the "new" style yet.

Where's the User CP? It used to be top left. WHY NOT LEAVE IT THERE people are used to it!

Change for the sake of change is ****e, or just to have all the latest bells and whistles without the (perceived) need...

I find it extremely annoying if major changes like that are just pushed out and not communicated before (simple one-liner per private message would do!). Especially if it's a site I support financially.

Sorry for my ranting, I will get used to it and grow to love it, won't take a week :D

ATB

Mike

PS what's with those **** up smileys! I want my old smileys back!!!

PPS where can I switch of the content filter, I'm over 18 and want to see my swearing!

Last edited by a moderator:

Ahjno

Vice-Adminral
Admin
Aug 9, 2004
Rotterdam (NL)
www.bushcraftuk.com
I personally don't like the "new" style yet.

Where's the User CP? It used to be top left. WHY NOT LEAVE IT THERE people are used to it!

The update was necessary to keep the forums stable and prevent future crashes. There's also an increase in security: to keep the forums safe from outside attacks.

Change for the sake of change is ****e, or just to have all the latest bells and whistles without the (perceived) need...

See above.

I find it extremely annoying if major changes like that are just pushed out and not communicated before (simple one-liner per private message would do!). Especially if it's a site I support financially.

I can understand your feelings Mike, but this is Tony's website. You support (pay) to keep the site up, not it looks - though Tony consulted FM's in the past on all sorts of things, and I'm sure he'll do so in future - BECAUSE you guys support it.

This is only temporarily and necessary to make the needed adjustments - not a priority (keeping the site up and running is - instead of it being down for weeks). As soon as everything is stable / sorted other bits will taken care off.

BTW - FYI there was a general notice about site maintenance & update the day before changes where made (thursday IIRC).

This color configuration is only temporary. First all new soft ware need to be tweaked to our needs & wants, after that it'll get a more friendlier and bushcrafty look.

Sorry for my ranting, I will get used to it and grow to love it, won't take a week :D

ATB

Mike

Don't get too used to it ;)

PS what's with those **** up smileys! I want my old smileys back!!!

PPS where can I switch of the content filter, I'm over 18 and want to see my swearing!

:nono: It's still a family forum.

:D

Nagual

Native
Jun 5, 2007
Argyll
You can't. It's something Admin has to do. This scheme is (IIRC) vBulletin standard, but it can be customised if one wants. If you check BB, you'll see another (customised) colour scheme.

Not completely right.. if you really felt the need, scroll right down to the bottom of the page and you can select a drop down menu on the left default is "vB4 Default Style" - you can pick from a few options... but I really really stress this, for your eyes sake, don't. This default one is by far the nicest.. :D Although to be honest, there isn't massive changes to the colours etc but.. well you really have to see it to appreciate this one.. :lmao:

Cheers,

malente

Life member
Jan 14, 2007
Germany
The update was necessary to keep the forums stable and prevent future crashes. There's also an increase in security: to keep the forums safe from outside attacks.

See above.

I can understand your feelings Mike, but this is Tony's website. You support (pay) to keep the site up, not it looks - though Tony consulted FM's in the past on all sorts of things, and I'm sure he'll do so in future - BECAUSE you guys support it.

This is only temporarily and necessary to make the needed adjustments - not a priority (keeping the site up and running is - instead of it being down for weeks). As soon as everything is stable / sorted other bits will taken care off.

BTW - FYI there was a general notice about site maintenance & update the day before changes where made (thursday IIRC).

This color configuration is only temporary. First all new soft ware need to be tweaked to our needs & wants, after that it'll get a more friendlier and bushcrafty look.

Don't get too used to it ;)

:nono: It's still a family forum.

:D

Thanks for your understanding and the update.

And sorry for my swearing, my bad!!!

Mike

I will hold my horses and wait for what's coming.

Something i have noticed on the home page where there is the recent forum posts section there have been several posts from the full members section in it. whilst there is nowt to hide going on in the full members forum it kind of defeats the purpose of it if the posts can be visible on the home page doesnt it?
not a major gripe as i appreciate that there is always mild glitches to resolve during or after upgrades but something i thought i would bring to the attention of the guv
Sam
ps please can we bring back mobile accessable bcuk i did a sleep in at work on friday and not being able to read the forum really spoiled my nights sleep thanking you )

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE