Most popular style of bushcraft knife

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

What style of bushcraft knife do you use ?

• Total voters

Siberianfury

Native
Jan 1, 1970
mendip hills, somerset
i thought it would be interesting to start a poll to find out the most popular style of knife used in bushcraft, so whatever your favorite style is let it be known here :)

these are what i find are the most popular styles i see people using:

Woodlore Variants- Woodlore clones, customised bushies- It full tang and a drop point blade, scandi grind or similar, usualy hand made.

Scandinavian made knives, I.E puukkos- Helle's, Karesuandos, Finnish knives or leuku's. all stick tang's.

Survival type knives- fallkniven, Boker, Kbar ect

America trade style knives- Nessmuk's, canadian belt knives.

Full tang scandinavian type knives- skookum bushtool, BG B&T, Enzo's.

can somone please help me add a poll, i cant find a way to add it to this thread?

All the best

Josh

Last edited:

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
To add a poll there is a box below the post content in which you can do it. Use the Go Advanced option. No idea if you can add it in as an edit though, so you may need a mods help or close this one down and start a new thread.

Peter_t

Native
Oct 13, 2007
East Sussex
moras or similar for me:)

i don't agree with the full tang being stronger theory, leukus, kukris and bill hooks take massive amounts of abuse compared to small knives and they never break!

woodlore clones are way too cumbersome and too expensive. spending £150 on a knife seems like madness to me when a £10 mora does the same job.

most survival type knives tend to be too big for fine work yet too small for heavy work.

i have no experience of american trade knives but don't really get the nessmuk knife, from what i can gather the original was designed for butchering not carving wood.

Pete

Bush_Man

Tenderfoot
Jun 25, 2010
Portugal
I've been using a Tora Camping Kukri for almost everything but if a need to do a task that involves carving it tends to be easier (faster) to do it with my mora clipper.

SouthernCross

Forager
Feb 14, 2010
Australia
G'day Josh

I haven't voted, because I don't know where my favourite would fit.

It's a hunting knife :yikes:

Finecurls1.jpg

Shavingoutthebowl1.jpg

[video=youtube;Txx_gr7-RPI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Txx_gr7-RPI[/video]

[video=youtube;4anxCWaWTXY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4anxCWaWTXY[/video]

Now, if there was an option for "other" then I would know what to choose in the poll :D

Kind regards
Mick

Last edited:

eraaij

Settler
Feb 18, 2004
Arnhem
A Joonas Kallioniemi Puukko, a simple Mora or SBT, depending on the mood - so I'll vote scandi. If the SBT would not have such a great handle and be such a joy to use, it would be dropped from the selection.

Woodlores and other fulltangs are nice, but for me only for collecting. I'm always amazed at the weight difference. A Mora + spare + firekit + sandpaper sharpening kit weights about as much as one Fulltang, 4 mm blade. Go figure, calory-wise.

Last edited:

Kotteman

Tenderfoot
Jun 3, 2009
Östansjö Sweden
Right now a Mora, but I want a fulltang one(much more good looking), but they are expensive and I don’t know sharpen knifes, a expensive knife that isn’t sharp is just as good as a Mora that isn’t sharp. But I have been thinking of buying a couple of Mora’s and try to make them sharp, just so I can throw them down in the ground to make them dull, sharpen them again and so on until there’s no metal left :)

jojo

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 16, 2006
England's most easterly point
I think there should be another 2 categories:

1) I ain't bovered as long as it cuts

2) The Celebrity knife... ie running down the side of a mountain with a knife between your teeth, sort of celebrity!

Failling that, I vote for the American Trade Knife Style.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE