Woodlore style knife, alternatives of forum crafters

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

tallywhacker

Forager
Aug 3, 2013
United Kingdom
I am looking for a RM woodlore/bushcraft style knife in the upcoming future. Obviously without the price premium and waiting period.

I am not entirely sure what i want from blade design yet as i am just getting into the finer craft aspect of mooching around in the woods, but i am 'make the first buy count' type..

The above knives look about right compared to 'trash' blades i have used in the past; a good blade style and a decent handle to grab onto being what draw me to it (as well as the care that has gone into it). However, that is a lot of money for a first proper knife, so i am hoping for either a comparable recommendation of a more reasonably priced commercial variant or a maker that is renowned for making good replica's/variants of the above models. I should note i am looking for something significantly better than a mora, a real good bit of kit.

Something else that i am wandering is that 850g +/- is a LOT of weight for a small knife, a MK2 tora kukri is only 660 grams, built like a tank and rivals a small axe for slugging about. Are the RM style of blades absolute overkill in thickness or is the weight coming from elsewhere? Just, well, it is not exactly as if a MK2 kukri is a light duty piece of kit, it is a battle proven utility tool engineered over generations.

While i don't want to be paying stupid money like the 'mega premium' RM items i am not expecting something for nothing, i know a good knife is going to cost potential £££'s especially if i find a highly skilled maker on here that puts love and care into the making of a blade, which is my preference. I will be looking to get one sometime between next month and the start of 'summer', so i have time to think hard about options.

Thanks, Tally.

Last edited:

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
hill bill or fgyt will do you a spot on woodlore clone for realistic money

Rob evans bushtool is another one to look at

Although my current favorite is a hill bill eagle. IMO a better blade shape than a woodlore, i have an alan wood woodlore and prefer the eagle
And yes, IMO, 4mm and 5mm thick blades are complete overkill. 2mm is plenty, 3mm is heavy duty in my book

Another much used knife of mine is a no1 mora. Probably the weakest "bushcraft" knife around.....all i can say is i'v had it for years and not broke it yet

tallywhacker

Forager
Aug 3, 2013
United Kingdom
i have an alan wood woodlore and prefer the eagle [...] 2mm is plenty, 3mm is heavy duty in my book

Thanks for the suggestions.

What exactly is it that you prefer about the eagles blade shape?

Also, cheers for the opinion on thickness. What thickness is the woodlore out of curiosity? Even at 4-5mm that looks a lot of weight.

Last edited:

woof

Apr 12, 2008
lincolnshire
I had a woodlore look a like, & the blade shape didn't suit me. I have Bernie Garlands bushcrafter & really like that, & has been said Rob Evans makes an excellent bushtool, a design I like, & had a slightly tweeked version of it made.
Mark Hills knives ooze quality in the phitos he posts, but I've yet to see one in the flesh so to speak. Field crafter UK turns out some stunning work, so if a woodlore is your thing that's great, but have a look round & see what other makers are producing.

Rob

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
The eagle is designed to be high performance cutter, especially in wood. The blade is narrower than the norm for a bushy, the edge has a continuous curve meaning it cuts more powerfully, Its an efficient design... the handle also has been designed to be comfortable in all the commonly used grips..... there has been a few reviews of it on here, and in Gunmart magazine.

I cleaned out my photo bucket account the other day, and didn't take into account the effect it would have across the forums, so a lot of my posts don't have images there any more.... my fault.

Also, cheers for the opinion on thickness. What thickness is the woodlore out of curiosity? Even at 4-5mm that looks a lot of weight.

Silverback 1

Native
Jun 27, 2009
WEST YORKSHIRE
Another vote for Mark for this style of knife, you are spoilt for choice with his designs if you don't fancy an outright Woodlore clone.

Let us not forget to mention Lance Ockenden aka driftwoodwalker, who also makes a very decent scandi knife.

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
Ben Orford also offers a Woodlore-style knife. Great tools and he's a really nice bloke with whom to deal.

Although not Woodlore shaped, the Rob Evans Bushtool is superb and represents excellent value for money.

Then, of course, there's Mark Hill, as already praised...

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
Thanks for the suggestions.

The eagle is shorter, which i prefer. I'd call the blade more of a precision knife where a woodlore feels more clumsy in comparison
The handle is much more comfy on mark's knife for me too. Heres the little write up i did on mine below

http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=127239

I think a WL is 4mm thick

Dont get me wrong, a woodlore is a good knife and will do any and all bushy tasks. But there are better designs out there, esp if you dont feel the need for a sharpened prybar

Johnnyboy1971

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 24, 2010
Yorkshire
If you like the Mora you are using how about the M.O.R.A that HillBill makes.
Pretty much a grown up version of the original but without the flaws.

Swallow

Native
May 27, 2011
London
If you like the Mora you are using how about the M.O.R.A that HillBill makes.
Pretty much a grown up version of the original but without the flaws.

That's a good recommendation. You wouldn't spend £100+ on a pair of boots without making sure they fit your feet first. So don't buy/order a knife without knowing what 'fit" of handle you want.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE