Woodlore style knife, alternatives of forum crafters

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

tallywhacker

Forager
Aug 3, 2013
United Kingdom
I never even realised i had these posts, i swear when i subscribe i don't get email notification ><

Thanks for all the feedback, very much appreciated. I am going ahead with mark hill as maker regardless of exact style. I have initially asked about a woodlore 'clone' on the basis the handle may suit my hand better (the outer bones in my hand have a wonky set from a break); the fatter handle with taper and pronounced pommel section look very practical.

Only the more i look the more i prefer the style of the SPB over the woodlore visually. It is a very nice bit of kit and the blade is very similar to the woodlore so i presume it must be a very effective design for all round use. I am thinking about asking for a hybrid: get the more pronounced pommel section and handle taper from the woodlore but keep the overall shape of the spb. Essentially SPB looks with woodlore grip.

Now the eagle, i am not sure about visually (i know, i know). It seems to have the better functionality going by the review linked below and i can see what is meant regarding the curves. But, there is something about the shape that doesn't sit right with me. I understand that is fairly shallow and i am looking for a tool, but, well, yknow; there is always going to be a visual attraction aspect to a blade and the SPB is the best looking knife of that class i am yet to find. The things i find less nice to look at on the eagle are the very things that add functionality according to the review linked (the convex grinds).

So, what i ask is: how does the SPB compare to the eagle in use on various tasks? Assuming they are both 3mm blades. If the eagle excels at cutting and working wood for craft, what do the SPB and woodlore excel at in comparison? Opinions seem to be the eagle is better than the woodlore, but what about the SPB?. Bear in mind i will probably be going for 3mm on any style. All opinions welcome, used em or not.

I am currently seeing this as a compromise. Shift some appearance for functionality and vice versa. This may well be a poor observation in that experience will render the SPB or woodlore every bit as practical.

Sorry for all the waffle and thanks for any further input, as you have probably guessed i have had knifes on my mind all day today and have a habit of over thinking, after all it is 1:31 and i am still at it.

Cheers, tally.

Last edited:

tallywhacker

Forager
Aug 3, 2013
United Kingdom
Probably, although their site gives no results i could find for the spb, eagle or woodlore clone debate in my mind. Anyway, i think users here are in a better position to give opinion for buschraft use. Too many people think buschcraft means simply survival, people here know the score.

EDIT: oh you probably came here straight from post #1? Updated the first post, it's now a case of a few options i am settling on.

Last edited:

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
An Eagle review by Macaroon here for you Stuart.. Mac has had operations on his hands recently... and found the eagle to be very easy on them.
http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=127612

I shall reply to your last email when i get back from taking my son to football :)

I've got a good dozen bushy knives of all descriptions, and I have to say, further to my review and after a good bit of use, the Eagle is the best all-round knife I've used. The handle shape looked as though I'd need to fettle it a little before I had it in my hand, and when I first got it I felt the same; it seemed very bulky and a bit unwieldy. But I decided to go with it as it was for a while and it turns out that it's so very comfortable and secure that it suits me better than most, especially in prolonged use. It's been designed as a whole tool, blade and handle, and like all good tools it has a feel and a balance that makes it eminently usable.

Looks can be very deceptive sometimes and here's a case in point. :)

tallywhacker

Forager
Aug 3, 2013
United Kingdom
The reviews for the eagle are good enough to sway me. Thanks lads, eagle it is. I would be silly not to go for the more practical tool, besides, i think it is growing on me a bit after trawling through reviews and photo's.

Also no rush on replying to that email mark, plenty of time yet before i settle on other detail etc. Obviously the dynamic has changed a little now for blade thickness as i will be going for the eagle. Sent an additional query about sheath too for when you get the time.

Cheers

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
The reviews for the eagle are good enough to sway me. Thanks lads, eagle it is. I would be silly not to go for the more practical tool, besides, i think it is growing on me a bit after trawling through reviews and photo's.

Also no rush on replying to that email mark, plenty of time yet before i settle on other detail etc. Obviously the dynamic has changed a little now for blade thickness as i will be going for the eagle. Sent an additional query about sheath too for when you get the time.

Cheers

I know it gets a lot of praise from me on here, but you wont be disapointed mate. The eagle is a cracking little knife

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE