What to do, What to do???

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

firecrest

Mar 16, 2008
uk
the british seem to be a certain standard which never changes - did anyone see the c4 prog the seven sins of england? the best of us left and founded the empire or died trying which could be where the rot set in. we are such an amalgam of different cultures and ideals that it is our biggest strength and out greatest weakness.

unfortunately as shown in the above program violence and drink has been a feature of british life for centuries. :)

I dont think its anything to do with who left and who stayed, or culture. Its mentality and education. We prefer to relinquish personal responsibility because its easier. we are increasingly becoming childified. Children need parental guidance and as a nation we are requesting a parental authority more and more. What do the public say about knives? "take them off us!" At the end of it, we watch meaningless tv, read meaningless books, do very little for ourselves and are taught from a young age to be self interested consumers. Easy pickings for the intelligent and greedy! Soon knives will be illegal, and youll be able to just own kitchen knives.

woodstock

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 7, 2007
off grid somewhere else
to quote George Carlin "They want you just smart enough to push the buttons but not smart enough to know whats going on"

The truth is, the only way to be a rebel is to be responsible for your own education, And until people learn this and start to take an interest in how societal structure works then they deserve to be shafted.[/QUOTE]

Good quote to sum the situation up in a nut shell........

and I would just like say the best way to rebel is don't get sucked into or play thier game,
prisons don't always have bars on the windows, you can quote me on this we as a nation will never in our lifetime ever be on code green again there will always be a enemy

JURA

Forager
Feb 15, 2007
devon
And who determines what they can and cannot report :confused:

Not a question of what but more the gentle (or sometimes not so ) slant, emphasis and attached importance. Make no mistake the media and big business run this country and our lives... Not Gordon Brown...

crazydave

Settler
Aug 25, 2006
Gloucester
if you saw the program then you might get what i'm grasping at - the base of it was set in modern enviroments like pubs, clubs and the street but the actors were quoting readings from european papers and travel writings going back 400 years. with french, german, italians etc.. complaining about the brutality, drunken yobbishness and the women brazenly displaying all as if they were on a blackpool hen night or a holiday in ibiza there seems to be an underlying national misery which dictates the need to excess.

I think the fact that we kept beating the odds helped matters. For example the scots have made a heritage out of wanting independance despite the fact that we didn't invade we reposessed the country in return for paying off the national debt from their daft attempt at a panamanian colony. if we gave them their country back in return for being repaid it would be in the hundreds of billions.

The country is like the footy team individually brilliant but get them together an it all goes wrong - and I hate football so me using it as a reference belies the seriousness of the conversation :)

firecrest

Mar 16, 2008
uk
Your not my boyfriend are you Dave, he has said your whole last post to me once almost word for word!

BOD

Soon knives will be illegal, and youll be able to just own kitchen knives.

No you won't. You'll have rounded tip kitchen scissors/shears since kitchen knives will be banned.

Nice licensed people will chop up your meat, vegetables and salads under supervision and it will be wrapped or bagged in plastic for you to bring home.

Why should anyone want to prepare food? Its dangerous and time consuming. You could be on Facebook instead.

Let commerce take care of your needs and its ally the government will remove all the horrid sharps from your life

firecrest

Mar 16, 2008
uk
actually, what purposes would there be for a kitchen knife if they just served everything ready chopped?

crazydave

Settler
Aug 25, 2006
Gloucester
actually allthough it is politics its not party politics but general issues based on the actions of all politicians and spin doctors. they are so busy copying each other we only really have the one party I reckon.

I reckon if we fielded tony as a candidate to the local elections as a prospective bcuk member for parliament he would get a decent vote. mainly because people would think it was a splinter version of UKIP :)

what would happen if we formed a religion like the jedi which advocated the carrying of knives similar to the sikh sword?

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Wow - politics and religion in one post!
Wait 'til the mods see this!
:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
I live in the countryside and carry whatever I fancy. I have never seen a policeman on my walks never mind been stopped by one.
I did see one getting fuel in the nearest petrol station one time and had a chat with him. He was wearing a Leatherman on his flak vest and when I asked him if it was legal for me to do the same he said "why not?"
Our police are so busy that when I had to act as traffic control, shutting a B-road that is heavily used, due to a fallen tree, the police took the best part of an hour to reach us and take official control.
I find that as long as I dont draw attention to myself I dont have any hassle.
Alternatively I could claim I am a farmer - they get away with all sorts with their vehicles (no tailboards on their trailers, insecure loads, illegal tree felling, digging up roads to lay muck pipes, unauthorised road closures etc) so carrying a blade is the least of their crimes!
:rolleyes: :D :rolleyes: :D :rolleyes: :D :rolleyes: :D

BOD

actually, what purposes would there be for a kitchen knife if they just served everything ready chopped?

None really for neither the scissors nor knife but just in case you were a fussy perfectionist. :D

They could hardly allow you to use the nailclippers on the food as that would also be unsafe - from germs.

HUman life and safety are so paramount that it must be preserved at all costs never mind the quality of that life.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
They often wear a gilet type vest with their pouches, radio, cuffs etc strapped on.
I understand it is stab proof if not bullet proof....

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Interesting topic!

Did any of you read the article last week about modern exams? They took a bunch of 2007 Chemistry 'A' pass GCSE 'O' students and set them a paper based on 'O' level Chemistry questions from the 1960's

Guess what, 16% passed, passed, not got an 'A' grade, just passed. Education and society are, and have been dumb downed to use the phrase over the last 20 years or so. Its a crazy world, hope my lottery ticket comes up, because I'd be off like a shot; I still am proud to be British, but I don't much like the modern society I live in.

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
the knife news does worry me as it changes and shapes public perceptions and we deal with them more (the public) than we ever do anything untoward with our sharps, it's all perception, which then shapes the laws etc.

I did read some clarification the other day and it wasn't all knives should be banned but all knives carried without a good reason and this is where our responsible behaviour can have a positive effect. I think it's going to be a hard slog keeping the freedom to use knives etc, we need to get landowners and organisations to understand and respect our use of these tools, which we can do by communicating with them and being of service to them.

I benifit from being rural, down the road from John Fenna so things aren't so bad around here and also there's more reason to carry a knife around here and probably more opportunity to use one as well, I hope we don't loose what we've got.

I do think that people should be told the truth and not manipulated, that statistics for knife crime should not be based on statistics that include kitchen accidents etc but that's the manipulative world we live in..very sad.

Wallenstein

Settler
Feb 14, 2008
Warwickshire, UK
Terry Pratchett said:
You can’t make people happy by law. If you said to a bunch of average people two hundred years ago “Would you be happy in a world where medical care is widely available, houses are clean, the world’s music and sights and foods can be brought into your home at small cost, travelling even 100 miles is easy, childbirth is generally not fatal to mother or child, you don’t have to die of dental abcesses and you don’t have to do what the squire tells you” they’d think you were talking about the New Jerusalem and say ‘yes’.
Sums it up for me... life could be a lot worse ;)

fishy1

Banned
Nov 29, 2007
sneck
Guess what, 16% passed, passed, not got an 'A' grade, just passed. Education and society are, and have been dumb downed to use the phrase over the last 20 years or so.

That doesn't prove anything.

Sylabusses change every couple of years, plus, I doubt many of them would have bothered revising.

Wallenstein

Settler
Feb 14, 2008
Warwickshire, UK
That doesn't prove anything.

Sylabusses change every couple of years, plus, I doubt many of them would have bothered revising.
Plus we've realised that nothing's gained learning facts by rote... anyone can learn and recite the periodic table, of the kings and queens of England. It's just a parlour game.

Critical thinking, structuring an argument, analysing sources... all much more relevant to the "real world" than the rigid learning of the past.

fishy1

Banned
Nov 29, 2007
sneck
Plus we've realised that nothing's gained learning facts by rote... anyone can learn and recite the periodic table, of the kings and queens of England. It's just a parlour game.

Critical thinking, structuring an argument, analysing sources... all much more relevant to the "real world" than the rigid learning of the past.

Still far too much learning of facts and not enough actual thinking, for my last exam (maths) I had to learn about 140 formula off by heart. Problem solving should be a much bigger part of exams.

jojo

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 16, 2006
England's most easterly point
I am sure someone will tell me I am barking mad in a minute, or am I bahhhhhhing mad :confused: but I think we are slowly being domesticated:D just like sheep. Sheep are kept in fields, for their own protection from the wolves, of course, any problems, they must call the guard dogs, not allowed to defend themselves, or use weapons, so we take their horn off (so they don't hurt themselves or each other....).

Same with us really. Keep to our houses, shops nicely (same as eating grass in the field) don't defend yourself, you could hurt yourself, so takes the weapons away, it's for our own good you know... the terrorists are lurking under every bush, ready to pounce... Good one for keeping a low level of anxiety in the population, easier to control that way........Very useful, terrorists & knife wielding maniacs.....;)

So the sheep dogs can now lock up the sheep (people) up to 42 days (or whatever it is) without any reasons other than they suspect the sheep may be up to no good (heaven forbid)....etc etc :D

Told you, I am bahhhhhhhhiiiinng mad:D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE