What to do, What to do???

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
Currently the government is desperatly trying to draw attention away from the impending reccession, fuel prices and so on and the knife crime (that has been going down overall and only in some small areas going up) is providing handy media coverage.

Same as with Dangerous Dogs a few years ago.

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
Currently the government is desperatly trying to draw attention away from the impending reccession, fuel prices and so on and the knife crime (that has been going down overall and only in some small areas going up) is providing handy media coverage.

crazydave

Settler
Aug 25, 2006
Gloucester
I know we arent supposed to discuss politics but its down to spin and thats all, gordon wants a better image which is why he is tunring up on every single subject at the moment.

I've just read general mike jacksons memoirs and he complained that during negotiations with the serbs over kosovo he was sick of the spinners turning up to 'help' and he told them were to get off as three times they wrecked the whole process with spin and press leaks which just werent the case. the spinners didn't like the services having press depts so lobbies to scrap them which is why we get the cheif of staff now going on the news complaining about the gov and the way it treats its people.

today its drink driving again so I await gordon on the news. they are releasing genuine criminals early due to over crowding at one point there was less than 30 spaces in the prisons, so what do they do - offer to stick loads more youngster in for 14 years all because of the failure of society to get it right. on the plus side swindon council want to scrap speed cameras :)

crazydave

Settler
Aug 25, 2006
Gloucester
cheers just noticed my spelling - I think I have dyslexic fingers as I often type to fast for them - my current constant numpty is poeple instead of people :)

mrmel

Forager
Jun 23, 2008
Gloucester
I agree, very well put.
what i want to know is why people assume that just because you have a knife in your pocket/bag that you intend to stab someone with it???
The only person i have ever hurt with my knife was me and im sure im not alone on that one, accidents do happen.
What has happened to "Great" Britain!?

Bushcraft4life

Settler
Dec 31, 2006
London
I agree, very well put.
what i want to know is why people assume that just because you have a knife in your pocket/bag that you intend to stab someone with it???
The only person i have ever hurt with my knife was me and im sure im not alone on that one, accidents do happen.
What has happened to "Great" Britain!?

It never has been ''Great'', thats the problem.

JURA

Forager
Feb 15, 2007
devon

Not inclined to agree with you here demographic. It is the media that actually hype news and distort the general publics view on a range of issues. NOT the government.

fishy1

Banned
Nov 29, 2007
sneck
on the plus side swindon council want to scrap speed cameras :)

I think that's one thing we need more of, speed cameras. Why do people think of speed cameras as a nuisance, obey the law and you will be fine. And they do save lives. Personally, I'd increase the penalties for speeding.

Mike Ameling

Need to contact Admin...
Jan 18, 2007
Iowa U.S.A.
www.angelfire.com
It is far easier to "demonize", control, and ban an object than it is to control those who would use that object to harm others. Shift things around so that the OBJECT in and of itself is evil instead of the intent and actions of the person using it.

And taking that "easy step" lets them give the people the impression that they are actually doing something to protect the public.

In one summer in the 1910's (I can't recall the actual year), New York City experienced a HUGE crime wave. People were scared enough that they called for the City and the State to declare Martial Law and bring in National Guard troops to help control this evil crime wave that had hit their city, and protect the innocent public. It even got national coverage in the news. But the actual crime statistics showed that all crime had gone down during those few weeks.

So what actually happened? One NYC newspaper decided to publish EVERY reported incident at every police station in the city! From murders and robberies right on down to lost dogs and noisy neighbor compaints. They chose to publish EVERYTHING reported. Most things were pretty trivial - like those lost pets. And all those simple shoplifting incidents had always been going on - like kids grabbing an apple from a basket outside the market door. But only the BIG crimes had really been reported before. People were shocked by all the CRIME that had never made the newspaper before. And once that one newspaper started doing it, the growing "concern" of the public and officials forced other newspapers to also join in. It became its own hype. It only stopped when that first newspaper fully explained what they did and then stopped reporting every incident - going back to just covering those major crimes. Media Hype - created and sustained by the media itself!

And, of course, many many "politicians", "public figures", and "concerned citizens" jumped in to take advantage of this "manufactured/manipulated" crisis - for their own personal gain.

Historical note: NOTHING in politics ever JUST HAPPENS! Somebody always MAKES IT HAPPEN, and for their own purposes!

Just my humble rambling thoughts to share. Take them as such.

Mikey - yee ol' grumpy blacksmith out in the Hinterlands

mrmel

Forager
Jun 23, 2008
Gloucester
The media always blow things out of proportion and take things out of context.
I for one will not stop carrying my knife just because some people see it as a weapon and not what it actually is, a TOOL.
And for those that agree with "bushcraft4life", it used to be the single most powerful country on the planet and own almost the entire planet, I'd say that was pretty great for such a tiny little island to acheive.

Bushcraft4life

Settler
Dec 31, 2006
London
The media always blow things out of proportion and take things out of context.
I for one will not stop carrying my knife just because some people see it as a weapon and not what it actually is, a TOOL.
And for those that agree with "bushcraft4life", it used to be the single most powerful country on the planet and own almost the entire planet, I'd say that was pretty great for such a tiny little island to acheive.

A great achievement maybe, then again, i am not sure the people whose Countries we took would call it great.

crazydave

Settler
Aug 25, 2006
Gloucester
not deliberately politicicising (or however its spelt) but new labour brought spin into politics which means they interfere with the news and the news interferes with politics. 'new labour' were so desperate for power (not that the tories where doing well as they had been corrupted by complacency) that they would and did say absolutely everything to appear popular.

hungerford was tragic but nothing really happened besides an automatic weapon ban which was okay, dunblane was also catastrophic for those concerned but I think the press had a lot more to do with the more or less blanket ban on firearms. this has done nothing for gun crime except ruin an industry of which we were world leaders in the case of companies such as accuracy international (who make the army sniper rifle one of the best in the world) who without a domestic scene has gone under. same goes for paedophoiles and child crimes which are much less than the 1950's but better reported and spun to create headlines so we are afraid to let our kids out. Devil dogs - just the same.

By keeping the public afraid they can impliment more policies which is why we are on amnesty internationals list and the filmakers are producing films like V for vendetta and equilibrium surely not by coincidence.

Speed cameras are a measure of this, they dont reduce deaths as has been proved time and time again. for a camera to be sited there has to be so many deaths. The hot spots just move further down the road, a speed bump does more for speed as does a police car on the motorway. The fact that 90% of cameras are sited against or in breach of acpo guidelines proves this. Down the road from my dad there is a junction desperate for a round about or traffic lights which wont be sited because there have been less than three deaths. The junction in question causes dozens of accidents and injuries every year and white blob on the road is all thats needed but the council did a study on it, not for a set of light but whether they could site a speed camera on that stetch of road.

Its all a measure of broken britain, society has gradually failed in the last 30 years or so. There is no quick fix as will take a complete long term re-education of the country. There was no golden age, the closest thing to re-education was baden powells attempt to take the young off the streets and instill a sense of pride, discipline and self worth. Two wars helped to discipline the generations that followed and we are suffering the peace dividend. Bring back national service? we couldn't afford it, they destroyed the army medical services and wont restore them because it costs too much, same for the junior battalions were they took no hope dropout kids at 16 and trained them for two years before placing them with regular units. If thew cant keep those of maintain a decent volunteer reserve then they wont pay for national service.

Not sure about great britain - what we did was commercial takeovers with the odd war thrown in all in the name of trade and business. We invented globalisation, the colonies were a source of raw materials and a market for finished goods. We gave the world trade, common currency and a common language which is in my opinion a good thing. The greatest thing we did though was to selflessly bankrupt the empire to defeat hitler and japan something america could do well to take note of as their global industrial policies continue to wreck the planet. I wonder what would have happened if churchill had made peace with herr hitler and let the empire continue as it was. We were the worlds policeman and we did what was expected of us. Personally I think we did what was right but we lost the war.

Have I covered everything? :)

Bushcraft4life

Settler
Dec 31, 2006
London
Just about Dave :)

When i said Britian has never been ''great'' it because in my lifetime it hasn't been,

And as soon as i finish my studies i will be making a swift exit from this country and won't be looking back.

crazydave

Settler
Aug 25, 2006
Gloucester
actually yes I have - I reckon one of the main issues with politicians is the fact that none of them have truly done public service. not one of the current crop have been in the forces so have no idea what it means or what is expected. the bulk of you on here are probably the same so probably dont understand what I mean. Colonel Tim Collins would have made a fantastic politician but the had had such an unjustified bruising from the press we've lost him.

help me out someone :)

firecrest

Mar 16, 2008
uk
Just about Dave :)

When i said Britian has never been ''great'' it because in my lifetime it hasn't been,

And as soon as i finish my studies i will be making a swift exit from this country and won't be looking back.

I think we say this a lot but I am in two minds of whether I agree with it or not. Maybe its not Britain that sucks, maybe...its the british? Yep. There I said it. The Great British Public deserve every shafting they get from the government! We deserve it because we allow it to happen to us and even help the process along. We allow it because as individuals and as a national mentality the vast majority cannot be bothered to take care of their own education. They learn nothing of they system they were born into, how it works, what it means and what it wants from them (largely to maintain the status quo of the wealthiest 1%) We seem to think school is synonymous with education, and havent noticed the whole thing is based on an outdated victorian ideal of what children should be learning (which involves very little of what they are actually going to need to know in life) to quote George Carlin "They want you just smart enough to push the buttons but not smart enough to know whats going on"
Like people have said, a nation that is afraid is a nation that is easy to control. They have no interest in changing structure, indeed all measures we see creeping in - ID cards, removing knives, spy bugs in your wheelie bin (Im serious they started doing this in bolton) is to keep this status quo maintained - You in your place as a worker/consumer. Ever noticed how no matter time goes by, we never quite seem to get a better standard of life? you earn more, the price of living goes up.

The truth is, the only way to be a rebel is to be responsible for your own education, And until people learn this and start to take an interest in how societal structure works then they deserve to be shafted.

crazydave

Settler
Aug 25, 2006
Gloucester
the british seem to be a certain standard which never changes - did anyone see the c4 prog the seven sins of england? the best of us left and founded the empire or died trying which could be where the rot set in. we are such an amalgam of different cultures and ideals that it is our biggest strength and out greatest weakness.

unfortunately as shown in the above program violence and drink has been a feature of british life for centuries. :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE