What are your favourite pocket knives?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Chris

Sep 20, 2022
Lincolnshire
So I just picked up 2 QSP slip joints A Penguin and a Hedgehog. Officially the Penguin blade is 3.02 inches with a 2.9 inch cutting edge. Having measured it from the front of the scales to the tip, it's coming in bang on 3 inches on a steel rule. The Hedgehog has a sub 3 inch blade so is definitely OK to EDC. Both are lovely knives, I prefer the Penguin. Question for you guys though, would you be happy carrying the Penguin? Or is it too close for comfort to the limit as its not UNDER 3 inches (measured)

Nice looking knives!

I personally wouldn’t, just because there are plenty of nice knives definitely below 3” which don’t put my freedom/career/house at risk at the whim of a policeman in a bad mood.

Likelihood of getting stopped is of course very low for most of us. Just don’t fancy even having it as a risk in the back of my mind.

Reactions: SkipperT

SkipperT

Aug 14, 2024
United Kingdom
Nice looking knives!

I personally wouldn’t, just because there are plenty of nice knives definitely below 3” which don’t put my freedom/career/house at risk at the whim of a policeman in a bad mood.

Likelihood of getting stopped is of course very low for most of us. Just don’t fancy even having it as a risk in the back of my mind.
Thats my logic. The Hedgehog is also very nice, I just prefer the Penguin, but not to the point of risking bother at the hands and ruler of a picky PC. Hopefully they will bring out a slightly smaller Penguin SJ at some point.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
So I just picked up 2 QSP slip joints

A Penguin and a Hedgehog.

Officially the Penguin blade is 3.02 inches with a 2.9 inch cutting edge. Having measured it from the front of the scales to the tip, it's coming in bang on 3 inches on a steel rule.

The Hedgehog has a sub 3 inch blade so is definitely OK to EDC.

Both are lovely knives, I prefer the Penguin.

Question for you guys though, would you be happy carrying the Penguin? Or is it too close for comfort to the limit as its not UNDER 3 inches (measured)
I think it might be discretionary depending on the circumstances. The problem I see is more to do with the blade shape. I love those cleaver blades, but to non-knife people they look like razors, and most people’s perception of a razor carried in the pocket is that it’s a weapon.

SkipperT

Aug 14, 2024
United Kingdom
I think it might be discretionary depending on the circumstances. The problem I see is more to do with the blade shape. I love those cleaver blades, but to non-knife people they look like razors, and most people’s perception of a razor carried in the pocket is that it’s a weapon.
It did cross my mind, but when you compare it to a cut throat, it's not as similar as your mind thinks (IMO) but I get where your coming from. Blade shape in the case of this isn't a factor in the legality of the knife.

I just need QSP to release a non locking QSP Penguin Mini

Last edited:

Chris

Sep 20, 2022
Lincolnshire
It did cross my mind, but when you compare it to a cut throat, it's not as similar as your mind thinks (IMO) but I get where your coming from. Blade shape in the case of this isn't a factor in the legality of the knife.

I just need QSP to release a non locking QSP Penguin Mini

Given it’s such a small distance over the 3”, how would you feel about modifying it so it’s say… 2.8”? Just shaving .2 of an inch off it might not really be noticeable to the eye/general use of the knife.

SkipperT

Aug 14, 2024
United Kingdom
Given it’s such a small distance over the 3”, how would you feel about modifying it so it’s say… 2.8”? Just shaving .2 of an inch off it might not really be noticeable to the eye/general use of the knife.
I don't really have access to the tools or equipment to do that I dont think.
I will. Post a picture of the measured blade and then see what people think. Letter of the law it is ok

hughtrimble

Jan 23, 2012
UK/France
I will. Post a picture of the measured blade and then see what people think. Letter of the law it is ok
You'll get endless opinions on this, but all that matters is that you're happy with it, given as you say it meets the criteria based on cutting edge length and it's a non-locker. If you're not solid on this (which seems to be the case given querying it here) I'd either grind off the extra using a sharpening stone, or sell it on. It depends so much on your personal risk profile and how you think you can handle the possible eventualities.

Urvin

Aug 8, 2024
USA
I really like the Spyderco Delica 4—it’s small but feels super solid and sharp. I also carry a Benchmade Mini Griptilian. The mini Griptilian is awesome for its size and the ease of opening it. Both have been great for everyday use.

minds_eye

Aug 30, 2011
South West UK
Victorinox Compact when I carry a decent sized folder. I always liked my UKPK but people often would freak out a bit when I used it. It always made me laugh that they’d ask “why have you got that?” When I was literally using it to solve either my problem or their’s. The Vic Compact gets no questions and packs a lot of tools into a very slim small package but never seems to leave me wanting ‘more knife’.

Two comments: 1) it seems a lot more expensive than other Victorinox knives with more tools. 2) I wish the hook was replaced by a Philips, awl or … anything else really.

I often muse replacing it with something else but honestly, the instant recognition of a SAK goes a long way, even if other things are perfectly legal.

These days I carry a bladeless Victorinox Jetsetter on my keys and that does the job but I don’t really do anything practical day to day anymore.

Last edited:

rowen

Jul 8, 2004
Derbyshire
Old and battered but I love it, picked up for a pound many years ago at the local tip shop. A Venture by HM Slater, I have some high end folders but this always finds a place in my pocket.
This post has just made me realise why I like it so much, it’s had a hard life, abused, old and seen rough times, done things that should not of been asked of it and it shouldn’t have had to do.
Still going though against the odds when others have broken…..
image.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: John59

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE