I'm not a bushcrafter.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I’m not a “doing” I’m a “being”. - Tadpole

Very wise. I think it is best to not define yourself by what you choose to do. I enjoy bushcraft, wilderness survival, and primitive skills immensely and find them to be a rewarding hobby mainly because they get me out in the wild places. The wild places seem to hit my "reset" button like nothing else. I think God is most happy with me when I am most happy with Him and nothing gets me there like spending time letting Him show off the things He's made and planned for me in the wilderness. I don't really care if other people think I do that well or not, it works wonders on me. Mac

Although I do not think we share exactly the same understanding of God - that works very well for me too!

BorderReiver

Mar 31, 2004
Norfolk U.K.
I have a deep distrust of "labels". People are complex beings with divers skills and needs.

Who cares what others call you, it's what you enjoy doing that counts.

I'm not a "bushcrafter". I enjoy the country side and I feel at home in desert, snow covered frozen lake or wood. Anywhere really that I can't see buildings or concrete from.:)

xylaria

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
I can make a spoon out of gathered wood just as easy in my garden as in the woods; I can practice with flint and steel or bowdrill as easy too. I can cook Cassoulet in the Dutch oven over a wood/charcoal fire or even in the oven at home. Making and doing are skills that need practice. And I do need to practice, it’s just I get in to the wood about 4 times a year, five if you count the moot. I’m not going to stop just because I don’t have a 100 acre wood to play in. Bushcraft is practicing skills useful to me in the woods. Skills that make life in the wild places easier more fun. I'm not a bushcrafter, or an anything elsecrafter either, I’m not a “doing” I’m a “being”.
I don't think of myself as a bushcrafter, more a wannabe wild camper, and garden variety maker of things useful. :)

That's my point. Just thinking it is something that you can do the woods is a narrow idea of the skills base. Most of britain is pretty much deforested, the wildest parts haven't had trees for many many years. I do most of my foraging in urban scrub and heathland because that what i have. Some shoot rabbits in fields, or fish on beaches. It is tapestry of skills not the name or the perception of what the right thing for a bushcrafter is .

saddle_tramp

Need to contact Admin...
Jul 13, 2008
West Cornwall
Until i got a computer and the internet, i never even knew that there were 'bushcrafters'. Never met anyone that called themself one, yet ive known plenty of people that share an interest or practice skills that might loosely be called 'bushcraft'.

It kinda seems to me, as if bushcraft has reinvented something that people have always done, but grouped it together and tryed to make it into something distinct, and whether you buy into it or not, there does seem to be an identity . . . and perhaps theres friction between those who subscribe to that identity. and those who dont see it as anything to subscribe to.

Oct 6, 2008
Cheshire
I wouldn't worry one jot about someoene elses prescribed opinion of what bushcraft is or isn't. Is it an attitude, a set of skills, even just an interest in such matters, or does it have to be spending time living in the woods using only what nature provides?

If we are to use the latter then where do we draw the line, start wearing animal skins and using only stone tools?

No matter what each of us do there will always be someone more "bushcrafty" than us, and likewise someone more "bushcrafty" than them. My personal hero is Cody Lundin - purely because he has spent years of his life actualy living in a lean to , or surviving in a desert with just a wolen blanket and no shoes. I doubt that many of us here can make the same claim.

But much as I admire what he does, I don't feel that this devalues what I do, which lets face it is far more limited. Nor does one persons idea of themselves as a "proper" bushcrafter devalue what someone else does, it just shows them to be something of an ignoramus.

me thinks the saddletramp has battered the nail on its noggin...i recently (well the last few years) made the discovery that a lot of my peers in the "outdoor industry" knew nothinig about foraging, fire lighting,making and repairing stuff and generally being outdoors for any other reason than ticking lists.......however that doesnt make them any less accomplished in their chosen outdoor environments just that there take on things is different to mine.....i learnt most of my early stuff out boys own adventure books and from living in benders etc sites like this are a god send and the mixed skill set here is overwhelming but know where near as blinding as the passion and the willingness to share.

Wayland

Hárbarðr
I’m not a “doing” I’m a “being”. - Tadpole

Very wise. I think it is best to not define yourself by what you choose to do. I enjoy bushcraft, wilderness survival, and primitive skills immensely and find them to be a rewarding hobby mainly because they get me out in the wild places. The wild places seem to hit my "reset" button like nothing else. I think God is most happy with me when I am most happy with Him and nothing gets me there like spending time letting Him show off the things He's made and planned for me in the wilderness. I don't really care if other people think I do that well or not, it works wonders on me. Mac

I liked that too..:D

I'm often asked "What exactly is it you do?" I usually answer "I'm a Viking" because it's as wrong as any other answer would be but it's not the answer they expect.

It all depends what hat I've got on in a figurative sense.

One day I'm a freelance living history teacher, another I'm an ancient crafts demonstrator.

Some days I'm a Landscape photographer and others I'm campaigning to stop the council building on our moorland.

Occasionally I even get paid to teach people bushy type stuff.

You try summing that up to the tax man at the end of the year.
17721.gif

Like you I use my outside time to set my world on it's right axis. I usually refer to it as recharging my outdoor batteries.

I really don't care what people call me because I have a hard enough time figuring out what to call myself anyway.

What interested me was what you are saying Toddy, that many of us don't go out and "Do Bushcraft" but that it is integrated completely into our lives.

As saddletramp says, it's not something that has to be distinct.

Armleywhite

Nomad
Apr 26, 2008
Leeds
www.motforum.com
My son asked me what bushcraft was and I explained that it was a way of life where respect is shown to everything natural. Understanding the outdoors, wether it be in the local park or deep in some forrest. Living with nature, again, wether it be on a camping weekend or permanently. He asked if we were part of it. I explained that we go out, we camp, we respect all that we do and see. He asked if killing animals is showing respect. Stumped me for a short while and I said yes, providing that the animal just being killed was done with purpose and respect and NOT allowing the animal to suffer. Personally I don't think anyone can be a bushcrafter, unless they live 100% in the outdoors, following a lifestyle, like that of the aboriginy, or the native american (used to do).

What we do (my son and I) Is try to follow the path of the respectfull, follow the path of the buscraft way of life. We can make fire, make camp, in fact I'm pretty sure we could survive for prolonged periods in the wilds.

I try to follow the bushcraft way of life, ie reseptc for all things natural, whenever I am outside, even in the garden. I have long stopped buying cord for the garden, I now use my own made stuff. I no longer buy wooden implements for the kitchen, I make my own, etc. When I go camping I use pegs made from wood found on the forrest floor etc.... I DON'T go round in fleeces (propper sheepskins) made into capes etc, but wear good quality modern clothing, I use good quality modern most things when out, but if I ever lost them, I could continue to live without them (I hope).

To me (and my son now) bushcraft is respect, thats all. Thats my take on it anyway!

andybysea

Oct 15, 2008
South east Scotland.
Im just a happy camper when im out camping, i would not call myself a bushcrafter,but this site is full of usefull info,and is the nearest/most usefull site for what i like and am interested in. My nearest definition to what i do/like is a camper who doesnt use campsites,prefer's remote areas and being under the stars (very rarely use tent)having a fire and chilling taking in the fact your away from normal life, i cant really condense it anymore than that.

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
like a number of you until a few years ago I had never heard the term 'bushcraft'. If we labelled what we were doing at all when we were kids it was 'wood craft' but that was only 'cos we used Cone's book.

The thing I find in common with most people that I come across that claim to practice bushcraft is their attitude to the land and the flora and fauna. We're not out to conquer nature but to live with nature and respect it. That's a hugely different passtime than 'bagging' mountain tops. Unfortunately not everyone thinks the same and I have come across a few 'Rambos' that claim to be bushcrafters. No problem though, I just don't spend time with them :)

fredohyeah

Sep 13, 2007
newtownards
My son asked me what bushcraft was and I explained that it was a way of life where respect is shown to everything natural. Understanding the outdoors, wether it be in the local park or deep in some forrest. Living with nature, again, wether it be on a camping weekend or permanently. He asked if we were part of it. I explained that we go out, we camp, we respect all that we do and see. He asked if killing animals is showing respect. Stumped me for a short while and I said yes, providing that the animal just being killed was done with purpose and respect and NOT allowing the animal to suffer.

this sums it up for me

SimonM

Apr 7, 2007
East Lancashire
www.wood-sage.co.uk
Until quite recently I had not heard the term "bushcraft". I think RM first brought that term to my attention.

As a lad I was a Scout and the activities I enjoyed the most were classed as "Backwoods Skills". Things like lighting a fire, building a shelter and cooking outdoors with natural ingredients.

These days, I still enjoy the same activities, although not as often as I would like because of family and work commitments.

If I try to tell people that I am going out this weekend to sleep in a hammock under a tarp, slung between 2 trees and cook on an open fire, they give me funny looks. On the other hand, if I tell them that I am going to a bushcraft meet, they mostly understand. That is the power of popular TV culture.

As to whether or not I consider mysef a "Bushcrafter", the answer is "No, not really".

• I can light a fire in a variety of ways, and use the fire for different purposes.
  • I could build a debris shelter, but don't because of the impact it would have on my bushy playground.
  • I prefer to sleep under a tarp than in a tent.
  • I could make a wooden spoon, but already have one!
  • I have a knife (well TBH more than 1:rolleyes: ), an axe and a couple of saws too....
  • I even have the green "uniform"

I could go on....

Does this make me a bushcrafter? Does this make me an outdoorsman? Labels, who cares?

I think the main thing is, enjoy what you do as often as you can and to hell with those that want to apply a label to everything we do.

Simon

bushcraftbob

Settler
Jun 1, 2007
Oxfordshire
I was thinking the other day about how little bushcraft I actually do, i.e. wild camping etc, and the answer is; not very much. Only a handful of times a year if Im lucky. This is due to work andfamily cimmitments etc.

But then I realised that I practise bushcraft everyday, even when im walking to work im trying to distinguish between trees, look for edible plants, and generally just appreciate nature and the resources around me, so bushcraft to me is more of a mindset rather than going out to wild places every weekend.

The fact of the matter is not everyone can get out there every day, I'm glad to have access to the internet and if I didn't have my "cyber bushcraft" fix on BCUK everyday, i think I would go mad!

drewdunnrespect

On a new journey
Aug 29, 2007
teesside
www.drewdunnrespect.com
lables b%ll%cks is what they are cos well who in there right mind needs a lable for what they do just get on with it and do it

also does it matter that you dont live in the woodss living the bushy way of life no cos bushcraft is a mind set that enables us to recepect nature and live and work in and also respecting nature at the same time
drew

firecrest

Mar 16, 2008
uk
Can I confess something?
Im actually just a painter who likes duvets and central heating. Lord knows why I keep finding myself in the woods this past year. Its you lot I tell you!!, You are all to blame for getting me outdoors!!

SimonM

Apr 7, 2007
East Lancashire
www.wood-sage.co.uk
Can I confess something?
Im actually just a painter who likes duvets and central heating. Lord knows why I keep finding myself in the woods this past year. Its you lot I tell you!!, You are all to blame for getting me outdoors!!

Go on, admit it. You're a kit nut like the rest of us! :rolleyes:

Trying out your new hammock this weekend?:cool:

Simon

EDIT:
Don't put yourself down. You are NOT just a painter - you are a gifted artist, with work owned by some of the most selective, tasteful people I know.:eek: ;)

Wallenstein

Settler
Feb 14, 2008
Warwickshire, UK
Utterly daft if you ask me.

I play tennis a couple of times a week, but I don't feel bad that I'm not a "real tennis player"; so the fact that I only get to spend odd weekends in the woods doesn't make me feel bad that I'm not a "real bushcrafter". :rolleyes:

For me bushcraft is "just" a hobby. It's not my whole life and probably never will be, but as others have said it enhances enjoyment of camping and walking (which I've done since I was young) and represents a way of thinking about the world which bleeds through into "normal" life.

It provides a very welcome counterpoint to my job - swapping my office and PC screen for a woodland and open fire helps to "reset" my mind and body.

So I'm happy to be a cybercrafter - hard to believe, but there is more to life than sitting inna wood carving a spoon; you can find pleasure in multiplayer Call of Duty, or watching The Wire on a decent TV set, (although I would always say that no TV set I've ever seen can compare to watching the flames dancing in a open fire under starlight). ;)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE