Bushcraft Icon

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I’m talking from the perspective of being on here for 20 years though. Toddy and many others still have had their same avatar for that long. So I’ve known them longer than my own child. And it’s always great when I’ve taken a break and come back on to find them still chatting away as usual. Sure we’ve lost some prolific members and good friends along the way, but it’s amazing that the community is so strong still and the old stalwarts are still posting regularly.
My Avatar was burned into leather by a member here . Its lovely to dip in an out seeing old friends :)

Reactions: Toddy and JonathanD

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
PS how can I find out how long I've been on here? I kind of scared to find out how long. It was over 12 years as I have met up with some when I was single up somewhere north of Stirling towards Callander at a campsite that allowed fires. With a guy setting up a portable forge, another guy who likes to walk the WHW and had a zenlike view on coping with midges! Characters all and very friendly to a loner trying to get involved.
A5AE81CB-77F2-4EC3-825F-1942FEDF2B8C.png

Reactions: Toddy

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
I'm on a tablet so the sidebar doesn't show and just can't get to the join date from a arrow on my post. That went to edit. So thanks for posting the images of sidebar. 15 years excluding prejoin lurking time. Wow! That's a long time really, 1/3rd of my life or so. Thanks.

Reactions: Toddy

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
PS how can I find out how long I've been on here? I kind of scared to find out how long. It was over 12 years as I have met up with some when I was single up somewhere north of Stirling towards Callander at a campsite that allowed fires. With a guy setting up a portable forge, another guy who likes to walk the WHW and had a zenlike view on coping with midges! Characters all and very friendly to a loner trying to get involved.

Just hover over you name and it says July 14th 2008 :) - about 6 months longer than me!

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Oh dear deary me. How very predictable.
Whether you like it or not we are on a web site and all using the title “Bushcraft”.

OF COURSE. We all interpret that term differently. Everyone interprets their world differently - no one’s semantics are identical. There is a little more hope with iconography.
So, are you planning to offer a prize, organise a competition and set a standard? You know, do something positive, encourage others, that kind of thing. Be great to see some photos of you out and about, sketching you icon, having a brew with your Kelly Kettle etc.

Pattree

Jul 19, 2023
UK
There’s are plenty of them :) That avatar was taken in the hills above Corwen not long ago.

Apparently whatever I do comes under the heading of “Bushcraft” so my pottery, story telling, music and spirituality would do just as well as would driving my car or using my lathe.
On the other hand any icon I were to approve for “Bushcraft” would be rejected.

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
Sorry, I and others were not clear. It's not that every 'skill' comes under 'bushcraft' but all the skills and learning that comes under 'bushcraft' are applicable to a wide range of activities - subtle difference (to me anyway).

Reactions: FerlasDave

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Just hover over you name and it says July 14th 2008 :) - about 6 months longer than me!
6 months longer than you?!!! But I think of you as having always been around here, before me at least.

How long has the forum existed BTW?

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
There’s are plenty of them :) That avatar was taken in the hills above Corwen not long ago.

Apparently whatever I do comes under the heading of “Bushcraft” so my pottery, story telling, music and spirituality would do just as well as would driving my car or using my lathe.
Does that mean you aren't going to do something positive for other people to participate in? I thought you wanted one? Or did you only want one if someone else did the work?

FerlasDave

Jun 18, 2008
Off the beaten track

But if you made your own icon surely it would best describe you individually. And that would be the most fun!

I had a great time building the logo for my business, took weeks of doodling, scribbling, talking to friends and asking their opinions. It was great fun!

Reactions: TeeDee

Pattree

Jul 19, 2023
UK
Why on Earth would we compete over something so apparently individual.

Mine? If “Bushcraft” were to be the most important aspect of my life then it’s the Kettle as stated earlier.

I too created a logo for my business. I’m away from home in Dorset this week so I can’t show you but it was the silhouette of an oak tree drawn on a DoS3 programme called Z-Soft Paint before it was absorbed into Windows. It was quite quickly done. The problem that I had was to get the image to slope at exactly the same angle as Helvetica Italic.

Last edited:

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
The only time a group I was in used a Kelly kettle was a conservation group. Cutting down 25 year old trees, cutting back hedges, path laying, dry stonewalling, chain link fencing, etc. Mostly cutting natural things down/ back or adding man-made structures to natural world.

Not my idea of bushcraft but we did have a volunteer with an encyclopedic knowledge of native plants and a decent knowledge of other flora and fauna. He would occasionally take us all on a walk to show us what was around of particular interest. Even the group organisers learnt stuff from him.

I guess images and icons can be very personalised wrt activity.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I like my KK; it doesn't get a lot of use these days, but working days, especially when working with others, it got well used.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE