I'm not a bushcrafter.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

gzornenplat

Forager
Jan 21, 2009
Surrey
I think that a problem a lot of non-bushcrafters have (and I count myself as a non-
bushcrafter but hopefully not with this problem) is that a lot of the skills bushcrafters
develop seem absolutely pointless.

Even people who want survival skills have to admit that unless you put yourself there, you are
unlikely to be in the kind of danger where these skills will save your life. Even Bear Grills makes
his bed then goes to a hotel.

Making fire by rubbing sticks together is a good trick, but how many people here have ever
been in a situation where this skill has saved their lives? And what are the chances of
ever being in that situation? And if you *are* in that situation, did you put yourself in it?

A lot of the skills like that fall into the 'train-spotter' category as far as the general
public are concerned. Carving spoons might be useful if you are good enough to be able to
sell them at a craft fair or on the internet, but at a practical level, you can drink soup
and eat with home-made chopsticks (much easier to make than a spoon) or buy 20 plastic
spoons for a quid in Tescos.

I'll probably get flamed for this, and I'm really not knocking what anyone does, but I
think that you have to accept that bushcrafting is a hobby/interest and that most people
who make money out of it are teaching it to people who like/want to do it as a hobby.

I know how much closer to nature it gets you and what a great feeling it is to lie in your
sleeping bag under the stars alone at night and think about life, the universe and
everything, but to the average footie/lager/curry type, sitting in the woods in the rain
all night seems a pretty odd occupation when you could be in a warm pub nipping out into
the umbrella-heater for a fag now and again.

You have to expect the odd comment :)

I think the important thing for me is my relationship with the natural envionment and that is deeply personal it's my business how often I get a chance to explore it and choose to share it, who cares what it is called?As we are all social beings (well some of us :rolleyes: ), the forum is a tool where we can create and renew social ties while fulfilling that need to learn and be social in a safe environment where we are all equal. So the author of the word cybercrafter must surely embrace this word and more to the point the meaning behind it or he wouldn't be here saying it. So I think you need a hug man as you must be having a bad day:grouphug:

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
I think that a problem a lot of non-bushcrafters have (and I count myself as a non-
bushcrafter but hopefully not with this problem) is that a lot of the skills bushcrafters

Even people who want survival skills have to admit that unless you put yourself there, you are
unlikely to be in the kind of danger where these skills will save your life. Even Bear Grills makes

Making fire by rubbing sticks together is a good trick, but how many people here have ever
been in a situation where this skill has saved their lives? And what are the chances of
ever being in that situation? And if you *are* in that situation, did you put yourself in it?

A lot of the skills like that fall into the 'train-spotter' category as far as the general
public are concerned. Carving spoons might be useful if you are good enough to be able to
sell them at a craft fair or on the internet, but at a practical level, you can drink soup
and eat with home-made chopsticks (much easier to make than a spoon) or buy 20 plastic

I'll probably get flamed for this, and I'm really not knocking what anyone does, but I
think that you have to accept that bushcrafting is a hobby/interest and that most people
who make money out of it are teaching it to people who like/want to do it as a hobby.

I know how much closer to nature it gets you and what a great feeling it is to lie in your
sleeping bag under the stars alone at night and think about life, the universe and
everything, but to the average footie/lager/curry type, sitting in the woods in the rain
all night seems a pretty odd occupation when you could be in a warm pub nipping out into

If you look only at the “end result” then I would agree with you, but the journey is the point, not the destination. The spoon is not the point, the making of the spoon is. The action is not the point, the skill set is, the learning, and all that entails, the walking in the woods, the looking listening, the selecting, and the sharpening and caring for the tools, the practice, and of course the mistakes. The whole point is not the end result, the whole of the journey is reward. I have learnt craft 'skills' that I can put in to practice in everyday life, be them directly applicable, like repairing a pair of leather gloves or just a new way of looking at things.
Unlike the “average footie/lager/curry type” at the end of the day I will have achieved something tangible (other than a fat gut) even if it is just another spoon.

As for saving lives, it depends. Being able to escape the rat race to sit quietly for a few hours making wooden/leather/metal things has saved my sanity, and that of my wife.

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
Just got back from walking the woods and hills with the dog and I couldn't stop thinking about this question.

Maybe bushcrafting is just a toolbox (and by that I mean a mental toolbox not one filled with gadgets). What and how many tools you put in it are up to you. How often you use it is up to you. How good you get at using them is up to you.

For me it's quite possible I use at least one tool every day but it may be weeks or even months between me getting out the bulk of them. And some, liking carving a spoon, I've not done in years; wonder if I still can :)

Wayland

Hárbarðr
Hey Wayland, I thought you were a pirate!

Arrr...That be a disguise so it be......
pirates.gif

Snip>

<Snip

I think that's a fair point and well put, unfortunately some people take it all far too seriously. :D

Snip>
Maybe bushcrafting is just a toolbox (and by that I mean a mental toolbox not one filled with gadgets). What and how many tools you put in it are up to you. How often you use it is up to you. How good you get at using them is up to you.

For me it's quite possible I use at least one tool every day but it may be weeks or even months between me getting out the bulk of them. And some, liking carving a spoon, I've not done in years; wonder if I still can

I think that's a very good description.

If you look only at the &#8220;end result&#8221; then I would agree with you, but the journey is the point, not the destination. The spoon is not the point, the making of the spoon is. The action is not the point, the skill set is, the learning, and all that entails, the walking in the woods, the looking listening, the selecting, and the sharpening and caring for the tools, the practice, and of course the mistakes. The whole point is not the end result, the whole of the journey is reward. I have learnt craft 'skills' that I can put in to practice in everyday life, be them directly applicable, like repairing a pair of leather gloves or just a new way of looking at things.
Unlike the &#8220;average footie/lager/curry type&#8221; at the end of the day I will have achieved something tangible (other than a fat gut) even if it is just another spoon.

As for saving lives, it depends. Being able to escape the rat race to sit quietly for a few hours making wooden/leather/metal things has saved my sanity, and that of my wife.

There is no spoon........:neo2:.........

reddave

Life Member
Mar 15, 2006
stalybridge
A cybercrafter, eh?
Well, at my first meet at delamere, whilst wife n son looked on, wayland sorta sauntered over, casual like, and offered to show me a quicker way to put tarp, hammock and mossie net up using quite easy knots. In a manner that couldn't possibly be interpreted as superior, he showed me how to do them, asked politely if he could be of any assistance with anything else and then toddled off saying I should just ask if I needed help with anything else.
Now, at times, I have been known to rip in to show offs. But wayland didn't come across like that at all. Not biggin you up fella, but if you're a cybercrafter, then I hope theres a few more about like that, cos yours is the kind of attitude that helps the world turn just a little bit easier.
Sounds like you were being insulted by someone who hasn't been hampered by things like an education or intellect.
Dave

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire

Can`t argue with that fella

There is no spoon........:neo2:.........

Unless your mind makes it a spoon

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Bushcraft is a silly term to use. The moment you set off to sleep outdoors you've gone camping. With camping comes camp craft and other skills applicable to what sort of camping your doing. So I never think of myself as a bushcrafter, just a camper who does not feel comfy on a four star camp site;)

firecrest

Mar 16, 2008
uk
Go on, admit it. You're a kit nut like the rest of us! :rolleyes:

Trying out your new hammock this weekend?:cool:

Simon

EDIT:
Don't put yourself down. You are NOT just a painter - you are a gifted artist, with work owned by some of the most selective, tasteful people I know.:eek: ;)

Cheers for that :) :) :)

Wayland

Hárbarðr
I must say it's very humbling to be held in good esteem by so many of you, I really wasn't fishing for compliments. :eek:

The thing I've always loved about this site is how almost everyone chips in to help friends and strangers alike. That just seems rare and precious these days and generally the atmosphere at meet ups is great.

I'm also regularly amazed at the skill and knowledge brought to this forum on just about any topic you could name.

This is definitely my favourite place on the net.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I must say it's very humbling to be held in good esteem by so many of you, I really wasn't fishing for compliments. :eek:

The thing I've always loved about this site is how almost everyone chips in to help friends and strangers alike. That just seems rare and precious these days and generally the atmosphere at meet ups is great.

I'm also regularly amazed at the skill and knowledge brought to this forum on just about any topic you could name.

This is definitely my favourite place on the net.

You`re the nicest Viking I know :p

Arth

Nomad
Sep 27, 2007
west sussex
Bushcraft is a funny word in Britain we don't really use the word "the bush" so why are we calling it bushcraft? I think of bushcraft as outdoor living self sufficiency

Shambling Shaman

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 1, 2006
In The Wild
www.mindsetcentral.com
"My name is Rob and I am not a Bushcrafter" :rolleyes:

I'm a hill walker that want to carry less kit (not lighter kit) The day I walk up a mountain and survive using foraged food, build a shelter, make a fire and have a comfortable night out then I will call my self a bushcrafter. Till then I will be a hill walker with a healthy interest in Bushcraft, fauna/flora and Leave no trace camping :rolleyes: :D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE