For the old and bold amongst us!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
You know you've been Army Institutionalised when..........

You use target indication to point out hot chicks...

You use the term 'chicks'

You insist on dancing like a d**k, whilst your civvie mates insist on trying to dance 'properly'.

Your civvie mates don't understand any of the terminology you use such as 'no dramas', 'squared away', 'take a knee' etc....

You can't help saying "Roger", "Say again" and other snappy bits of VP

You use acronyms thinking your civvie mates will understand what you are talking about

You don't have any civvie mates....

You cringe, and mutter under your breath 'haircut', when you see men with`long hair'.

You walk at a ridiculous pace and are physically incapable of walking at the shopping pace of your girlfriend.

You refer to personal organisation as "admin"

Your girlfriend is stored in your mobile phone address book as 'Zero Alpha'

You use patrol hand signals in a night club if people can't hear you

You always use the 24 hour clock....

Nothing soldiers do shocks you any more....

You can't watch war movies without giving a running commentary.

People in prison have more contact with women than you do....

You don't trust your mum/wife/girlfriend/any woman to iron your kit because deep down you think that your ironing is better....

You point using your whole hand in a karate chop motion....

You find that the conversation somehow always comes back round to you, because you're more interesting than most topics of conversation....

You think not shaving is a treat....

You get really irritated when people you don't know call you mate'....

You can read a junk mail catalogue from cover to cover and refer to everything that is useful as a Gucci bit of kit.

You refer to smoke as 'a double edged sword'.

You spend hours wondering where in civvie street you can get an equal disposable income and at least 6 weeks holiday a year, by completing an inversely proportionally tiny amount of tangible work

Your blood boils when you see civvies wearing DPM.

Going out on Thursday "international army night out" wherever it may be, or whichever course one is on, involves forming the ring-of-steel, talking about ourselves and the army and aggressively staring at girls; who if they don't immediately come over are obviously lesbians.

Should any man dare break this ritual, and despite talking to the prettiest of girls - as we would like to do, if it weren't for thefact we tend to chew our own tongues and dribble - he is clearly gay!

You come out in a cold sweat if you find yourself still working after lunch on a Friday....

You have to stop work at 10am for NAAFI break or else you might not make it to lunch....

At least half of your DVD collection are war movies....

Even though your disposable income is twice that of a civvie you still manage to spend it all, every month, with nothing to show for it,about a week after you've told all your soldiers that you 'can't believe how much money they waste on the p**s'....

You feel guilty about wearing jeans in front of senior officers in the mess

The sight of rolling countryside makes you scan for 'enemy depth'....

You think that eating every meal for a week with the same spoon that you have licked clean and put it in the pocket of the same shirt you've worn all week is perfectly normal....

All of your food has to be prepared by a chef because you're incapable of cooking anything that can't either be boiled in a bag or eaten cold....

You lie when people ask you what you do for a living....

When leaving your phone number on a voice message you can't just give it once, has to be repeated.

When surveying open ground (when not looking for enemy in depth) you think, good tank country. If a forestry block - I could get a platoon in here

You survey open ground.

When you are pointing out some natural feature you begin with "Reference bushy topped tree etc etc"

Your girlfriend has started saying "admin" and gave you the "Chop" when telling you to put the bin out.

When meeting mates in a pub you always turn up 5 minutes early and are secretly angry that nobody else has.

Worse still, if it's a venue you haven't been to before, you turn up 15 minutes early to put in a CTR, in order that you are definitely there 5 minutes early.

You subconsciously red-pen everything you read.

Oh my god..... all of the above apply......

P

philG

Unfortunately most of what you said rings true lol ( apart from the not working much part!)

Although for me it the air farce.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
The scary thing is that even though my bother has been out of the army for over 20 years I still recognise so many of the signs you listed as part and parcel of his everyday behaviour :rolleyes: :D

cheers,
Toddy

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Say again after 'hello', over?

Oh dear, it's all gone cake and ar*e.:D

Roger that! Nice to know we are all singing off of the same song sheet, there's probably more but I didn't think it was worth going the full nine yards, suck it and see, some more may turn up later on! Off to get my crispy chicken settled in for some violence on the goggle box.

Over and out!!

:lmao:

(PS. The last bit is a joke, we all know that that is not correct VP!)

Eric_Methven

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 20, 2005
Durham City, County Durham
Roger, Roger. Having a giggle at my location. Over.

My worst, was when giving my name and details on the landline, I'd repeat it phonetically.

'Hello, my name is Eric Methven, that's Mike Echo Tango Hotel.......'
'OK Mike, how can I help you?'
'No, my name is Eric.'
'I thought you said your name was Mike.'
'Never mind.' (Click).

Eric

shep

Maker
Mar 22, 2007
Norfolk
Never been anywhere near the army, but clearly a forces dad has rubbed off on me 'cos I tick an embarassing number of those.

woodstock

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 7, 2007
off grid somewhere else

Oh my god..... all of the above apply......

That sums it up in its entirety
you did forget to mention not being able to drive past road kill without the overwhelming desire to throw it in the boot or polishing footwear no matter what it is to a mirror Finnish

Dirsturbingly accurate!

I should have spotted this in my six o'clock but I was distracted by a winning lumpy jumper shining in my eleven - threaders!

The leave pass is in with zero alpha to be up so late so I'm off down the Col Gaddaffi to get some Frank Bough down my Gregory Peck 'cos I'm Hank Marvin!

Out!

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I am first generation non military in my family ( and the government have done away with my family regiment d*mn them!) but, lord help me, the list applies to me as well!
Scary!
Or is it genetic......?

Greg

Jul 16, 2006
Pembrokeshire
My God!!!:eek: I've been out of the Army or 5yrs now, after serving 12, and you have just described me to a tee!!

This will have the Sunray in stitches when I show her later.

Just one thing though - If you ain't wearing ventile your just not ally enough!!:lmao:

"All you need to go to war is a pouch full of ammo and a bottle of water!":beerchug:

mwelch8404

Sep 14, 2004
Cedar City, Utah, USA

... and other snappy bits of VP

You have to stop work at 10am for NAAFI break or else you might not make it to lunch....

Worse still, if it's a venue you haven't been to before, you turn up 15 minutes early to put in a CTR, in order that you are definitely there 5 minutes early.
QUOTE]

Although 4 yrs Navy (Corpsman with the Marines) and 13 yrs in the Army (no sea duty,) I'm a Yank, so could use a bit of translation on: VP, NAAFI, and CTR...

But the rest surely do fit.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE