Knife Lore and other old customs

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

oldtimer

Sep 27, 2005
Oxfordshire and Pyrenees-Orientales, France
On another thread, I was surprised when a reply to my remark that my great uncle had sold me my first knife when I was six asked whether he needed the money . I had assumed that on a forum where knife culture is so prominent, everyone would be familiar with what I had assmed to be the common custom that knives should never be a gift but should be paid for with a token sum. When I bought a Laguiole knife in a cutler's shop in France, presented it to her and then asked for a token payment, the shopkeeper remarked that the same custom prevailed in France.

Are other members familiar with the custom of giving a token payment in return for the gift of a knife, or is this, like me, a relic of the past? I'd love to know. By the way if anyone wants to give me an Alan Wood woodlore for a token payment of 10p, please go ahead!

I wonder too if there are other old customs to do with country lore that are in danger of being forgotten. For example, a thread on bee-keeping some time ago showed a lot of interest yet most, in common with my beekeeping next door neighbours, were unfamiliar with the custom of telling the bees about significant events in the life of the family.

I'd love hear about any old, quaint or curious customs you know about.

Chris

Sep 20, 2022
Lincolnshire
I certainly never heard the tradition growing up. I received my first ever pocket knife from my grandpa as a Birthday present so never exchanged anything, this would’ve been in the early 90s. He was born in 1912.

I’d assume there is something generational to it, though. This includes that people just hardly carry pocket knives at all these days and everyone’s being told to be scared of them as a weapon, so there are far fewer people growing up around these tools and the traditions that come with them.

Reactions: oldtimer

Pattree

Jul 19, 2023
UK
@oldtimer
My experience doesn’t contribute as it comes from the same era as yours!

Coin for blade was commonplace and unremarked. Hence my virtual pennies in the Gift-it-On thread.

Pattree

Jul 19, 2023
UK
……. and
If I had to keep something very secret - such as the time I was with my mother when she bought a birthday present for my brother or sister: I was told that if the secret was wriggling to get out then I should go outside when no one was there and tell the door post the secret but no one else.

Reactions: Tantalus

Tantalus

May 10, 2004
Galashiels
A few to add.

Give a gift of silver to a baby.
Never look at the new moon through glass.
Don't bring hawthorn into the house, ever.

Pattree

Jul 19, 2023
UK
Now, my mother wouldn’t look at a new moon through glass - something to do with needing to be outside to respect it.

A witch I know put a different slant on it. She said that the tradition originated from not seeing the moon “in a glass” or reflected in water. This she said was because the young new moon goddess Artemis became the old waning moon Hacate in reflection. Artemis/Diana is neither forgiving nor kind I’m told!

Superstitions are what ever the believer believes regardless of origins but I found that one interesting.

If my mother knocked her “funny bone”, the nerve ganglion in the elbow that sends sensations down to the little finger, she would turn and knock the other one. Don’t ask me - I never asked her!

As for Magpies …………..

firedfromthecircus

Tenderfoot
Oct 9, 2014
there
Always ask permission from the tree if cutting Elder
I remember reading a book about Wicca and it said that if you needed a new staff or somesuch you should ask any tree you needed to cut from for permission. Not restricted to Elder. If you asked for such permission the tree may suggest a suitable branch to you.

matarius777

Nomad
Aug 29, 2019
Lancaster
My mother always adhered to the “penny”, although , on reflection, it could have been a shilling, for a knife rule, lest it cut a friendship. Funnily though, my father didn’t! Nor did my grandmother. They were Yorkshire (Bradford) born and bred, my mother’s family, Bolton, near Manchester. Don’t know if that had a bearing?

Last edited:

demented dale

Dec 16, 2021
hell
On another thread, I was surprised when a reply to my remark that my great uncle had sold me my first knife when I was six asked whether he needed the money . I had assumed that on a forum where knife culture is so prominent, everyone would be familiar with what I had assmed to be the common custom that knives should never be a gift but should be paid for with a token sum. When I bought a Laguiole knife in a cutler's shop in France, presented it to her and then asked for a token payment, the shopkeeper remarked that the same custom prevailed in France.

Are other members familiar with the custom of giving a token payment in return for the gift of a knife, or is this, like me, a relic of the past? I'd love to know. By the way if anyone wants to give me an Alan Wood woodlore for a token payment of 10p, please go ahead!

I wonder too if there are other old customs to do with country lore that are in danger of being forgotten. For example, a thread on bee-keeping some time ago showed a lot of interest yet most, in common with my beekeeping next door neighbours, were unfamiliar with the custom of telling the bees about significant events in the life of the family.

I

It was actually a joke asking if he needed the money. I did however have no idea of customs when it comes to the giving and receiving of knives. I guess its like you said that the knowledge is getting lost. I have never asked for or received payment for one and I have handed a few over and received a few also, so the givers made no mention of it either.
Whilst I find custom and folklore very interesting I wouldn't indulge in it and not giving a knife to a friend as it will cut the the friendship is superstitious nonsense. I think its good that we document and discuss these things from the past but I have got no idea why people still adhere to them. xxxx

Last edited:

matarius777

Nomad
Aug 29, 2019
Lancaster
I

It was actually a joke asking if he needed the money. I did however have no idea of customs when it comes to the giving and receiving of knives. I guess its like you said that the knowledge is getting lost. I have never asked for or received payment for one and I have handed a few over and received a few also, so the givers made no mention of it either.
Whilst I find custom and folklore very interesting I wouldn't indulge in it and not giving a knife to a friend as it will cut the the friendship is superstitious nonsense. I think its good that we document and discuss these things from the past but I have got no idea why people still adhere to them. Please feel free to disagree without being disagreeable xxxx
I suppose it depends on your outlook. Personally I like the perpetuity of continuation of maintaining traditions and superstitions, things like “touch wood” although I’m not “religious” about it.

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
I

Whilst I find custom and folklore very interesting I wouldn't indulge in it and not giving a knife to a friend as it will cut the the friendship is superstitious nonsense. I think its good that we document and discuss these things from the past but I have got no idea why people still adhere to them. xxxx

Ah, you just haven't played enough VR RPGs or you'd know that there are some things that make no sense but unlock either success or failure :)

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
IMG_3841.jpeg

Traditionally a silver coin should be passed to the giver of a knife. The Guycep above was gifted to me by Diamond Dave, you will see the tradition mentioned in the note. I sent him a silver sixpence as payment.

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
Traditionally a silver coin should be passed to the giver of a knife. The Guycep above was gifted to me by Diamond Dave, you will see the tradition mentioned in the note. I sent him a silver sixpence as payment.

I don't know, you guys from the posh side of the river - for us it was copper but usually 1/2d :)

demented dale

Dec 16, 2021
hell
I suppose it depends on your outlook. Personally I like the perpetuity of continuation of maintaining traditions and superstitions, things like “touch wood” although I’m not “religious” about it.
I love the idea of maintaining useful things but a lot of folklore and tradition is not relevant today, They had a different perspective on things in the past. Personally I love it all for what it was and love what people used to do and think but its not useful and practical. I will however be insisting on a half sovereign for any knife I pass on as of now . xx

matarius777

Nomad
Aug 29, 2019
Lancaster
:wideyed::frown::frown::frown:I don't know, you guys from the posh side of the river - for us it was copper but usually 1/2d :)
This has me racking my brains now, was it silver or was it a penny? There’s the gypsy thing of “cross my palm with a silver coin”, maybe that’s got me mixed up. Pretty sure it was a penny. Sadly I can’t find out now, there’s only my sister and I know for sure she’ll be absolutely clueless- anything to do with knives…except when it comes to wrecking their edges!:frown:

matarius777

Nomad
Aug 29, 2019
Lancaster
I love the idea of maintaining useful things but a lot of folklore and tradition is not relevant today, They had a different perspective on things in the past. Personally I love it all for what it was and love what people used to do and think but its not useful and practical. I will however be insisting on a half sovereign for any knife I pass on as of now . xx
I’m actually a very practical, pragmatic person, I like absolutes, measuring precisely, but I think that’s why I like superstitions because it provides a counter foil, it’s nice to have a little doubt about “does a+b=c” even if I’m ambivalent about its certainty. If that makes sense!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE