Bushcraft tools that could be classed as weapons?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Siberian Mongoose

Tenderfoot
Aug 9, 2023
Lemonwood Rez, NZ
Many peasants fought battles using farming implements, I doubt their foes worried much about the semantics of the fact that the tools weren't made as weapons :)
I have a pitchfork already…and an old slasher that looks like a Klingon weapon. ‹The Rising of the Moon’›

A quarterstaff makes a very effective defensive weapon when not being used for walking—was used this way by peasants. Even a normal length staff can be used this way: see Fandabi Dozi YT channel:

https://www.youtube.com/c/FandabiDozi/videos

I used to walk around wearing a sheathknife as a kid…and no-one even noticed or cared…

Reactions: Minotaur

philipb

Forager
Feb 20, 2016
wales
I have a pitchfork already…and an old slasher that looks like a Klingon weapon. ‹The Rising of the Moon’›

A quarterstaff makes a very effective defensive weapon when not being used for walking—was used this way by peasants. Even a normal length staff can be used this way: see Fandabi Dozi YT channel:

https://www.youtube.com/c/FandabiDozi/videos

I used to walk around wearing a sheathknife as a kid…and no-one even noticed or cared…

I am very sorry but it is irrelevant what you did as a kid because carrying a knife was not a criminal offence back then.

And to all the ninja's who can take out a whole army with a paper clip that is also irrelevant. Just because you can kill someone with a rock, some medieval tool or any house hold object does not justify carrying a knife. What i mean is you might have a tyre leaver in the boot of your car that will make a more deadly weapon than your mora knife but just because a law is stupid does not mean you wont get
prosecuted.

I live in an are where police often carryout random checks on
vehicles. And I am worried that some copper having a slow day might get excited about finding a knife and axe in the boot of my car and decide my camping trip is not a valid reason for them to be there because they think all you need is a swiss army knife (in their vast experiance of 6 months in the job). My worry may be unfounded and I was looking for recent examples of dealing with police questioning you about posession of such items.

The problem is the law is open to interpretation and it is not you that gets to decide if your actions are within the law

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: Siberian Mongoose

gg012

Sep 23, 2022
SE
But surely being in possession of your camping equipment along with either your reservation at a campsite or something confirming your permission is sufficient to provide good reason for having sharps on you. CPS would never prosecute in those circumstances. It sounds like you are either worrying too much or trying to think up an excuse for just carrying a knife in your car

Sent from underground

Reactions: philipb

philipb

Forager
Feb 20, 2016
wales
But surely being in possession of your camping equipment along with either your reservation at a campsite or something confirming your permission is sufficient to provide good reason for having sharps on you. CPS would never prosecute in those circumstances. It sounds like you are either worrying too much or trying to think up an excuse for just carrying a knife in your car

Sent from underground

Yes You would hope so.

I guess I am worrying too much. But I do have a job that requires ongoing criminal records checks so it is important to me that I stay the right side of the law and I don’t get caught out for something silly

gg012

Sep 23, 2022
SE
Same here, although only SC not DV any more so it's a lighter touch. Just remember though, even with DV, you just need to tell the truth. If you do get pulled for having an axe in your rucksack in the boot of your car on the way to camping then get an NFA from the police as long as you own up to it in your next interview you will be fine. It's dishonesty they are looking for, among other things.

Sent from underground

Reactions: philipb

philipb

Forager
Feb 20, 2016
wales
Same here, although only SC not DV any more so it's a lighter touch. Just remember though, even with DV, you just need to tell the truth. If you do get pulled for having an axe in your rucksack in the boot of your car on the way to camping then get an NFA from the police as long as you own up to it in your next interview you will be fine. It's dishonesty they are looking for, among other things.

Sent from underground
Up until now I have avoided travelling with axes or larger knifes preferring to processes fire wood at home and packing the wood rather than the tools. But for longer trips I would need to carry the tools

gg012

Sep 23, 2022
SE
Up until now I have avoided travelling with axes or larger knifes preferring to processes fire wood at home and packing the wood rather than the tools. But for longer trips I would need to carry the tools
Indeed. Presumably, and I am making assumptions here, you don't fit the demographic that plod are looking for in order to reduce gang violence. If you do get be pulled just be honest and respectful and you will more than likely be fine.

Sent from underground

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
Risk can only be assessed based on experience supported by wider evidence and statistics. I have not heard of a single 'outdoorsman' travelling to or from a camp with axe and/or knife packed away, being stopped and questioned let alone attending court. If one is sensible, I think the risks are very low to non existent. It doesn't even appear above zero in my list of concerns.

Reactions: GreyCat and gg012

gg012

Sep 23, 2022
SE
Risk can only be assessed based on experience supported by wider evidence and statistics. I have not heard of a single 'outdoorsman' travelling to or from a camp with axe and/or knife packed away, being stopped and questioned let alone attending court. If one is sensible, I think the risks are very low to non existent. It doesn't even appear above zero in my list of concerns.
Exactly. I am much more concerned with having a SAK in my pocket in London than an axe in my rucksack in the country

Sent from underground

Reactions: GreyCat

Chris

Sep 20, 2022
Lincolnshire
It shouldn’t be the case that law abiding people are left with any doubt about whether they’re allowed to do these things. The very fact that it could be open to poor interpretation by a police officer is a sign that something is not right.

Treading on eggshells and hoping we don’t get arrested isn’t how democracy should work for the law abiding and responsible.

Siberian Mongoose

Tenderfoot
Aug 9, 2023
Lemonwood Rez, NZ
I am very sorry but it is irrelevant what you did as a kid because carrying a knife was not a criminal offence back then.

And to all the ninja's who can take out a whole army with a paper clip that is also irrelevant. Just because you can kill someone with a rock, some medieval tool or any house hold object does not justify carrying a knife. What i mean is you might have a tyre leaver in the boot of your car that will make a more deadly weapon than your mora knife but just because a law is stupid does not mean you wont get
prosecuted.
Fear is used as a weapon, it is the most potent weapon of all.

Don‘t feel sorry, it is entirely relevant how things were for me as a kid (wherever that was), as it shows how corrupt, totalitarian, and tyrannous things have become—it would have been a crime should one have used a knife against someone offencively.

Last edited:
Reactions: Moondog55

Wildgoose

May 15, 2012
Middlesex
I think the fact that despite 3 pages of speculation nobody has put up an example of having an issue with carrying sharps probably speaks volumes.

The law is open to interpretation to provide a degree of reasonableness based upon what a normal reasonable person would believe is right.

Reactions: Minotaur and Kepis

Chris

Sep 20, 2022
Lincolnshire
Here’s an example of police trouble from this very forum:

Before people pipe up with “Well it ended up OK”, I do not accept the premise that it’s ‘OK’ to be wrongfully accused by the police of illegal activity, then have property confiscated when you are clearly trying to do the right thing within the bounds of the law.

Reactions: Siberian Mongoose

Wildgoose

May 15, 2012
Middlesex
Here’s an example of police trouble from this very forum:

Before people pipe up with “Well it ended up OK”, I do not accept the premise that it’s ‘OK’ to be wrongfully accused by the police of illegal activity, then have property confiscated when you are clearly trying to do the right thing within the bounds of the law.
One example from 2012. With a group of lads who had to be lured from the pub. The list of TOOLS is pretty extensive too.

We know nothing of the incident other than what the member says.

Wildgoose

May 15, 2012
Middlesex
I’m not keen to shift goalposts or derail threads, but since 2012 there have been 12 summer moots, numerous winter moots, hundreds of outdoor/bushcraft gatherings and probably thousands of camping trips, wanders, walk with a brew etc by members here, all of which involved people travelling and likely displaying sharps.

Yet we have one example.

Wildgoose

May 15, 2012
Middlesex
Actually there is another on here by Wayland (I think) being stopped in his van full of swords, spears and other weaponry.
Have a balanced and entertaining view if I remember correctly

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
@Siberian Mongoose.
Please dial it back. Your post #52 is more political/social rant than we usually approve of here and I cannot guarantee that it won't get moderated later.

Update. Cheers for self-modding. Very much appreciated. Thanks.:beerchug:

Last edited:

Laurentius

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
I live in an are where police often carryout random checks on
vehicles. And I am worried that some copper having a slow day might get excited about finding a knife and axe in the boot of my car and decide my camping trip is not a valid reason for them to be there because they think all you need is a swiss army knife (in their vast experiance of 6 months in the job). My worry may be unfounded and I was looking for recent examples of dealing with police questioning you about posession of such items.

The problem is the law is open to interpretation and it is not you that gets to decide if your actions are within the law
Firstly it is not the coppers interpretation that decides what is a weapon, it merely decides what they suspect to be a weapon and it has to be in the public interest to pursue a prosecution. As I am sure the black belt barrister will remind you on you tube, in order to secure a conviction it has to beyond reasonable doubt that a crime has been committed. It would be highly unreasonable to dismiss the grounds for carrying a knife or axe if there plentiful evidence of its intended lawful use. I think the odds on most housing estates are that you are more likely to be threatened with an unlawful knife in the absence of any visible police than you are to be stopped and searched when you have a clear reason for posessing tools lawfully. I have before retirement been in positions which require an enhanced criminal DBS disclosure and have never worried about it.

Reactions: gg012

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE