Camping in the woods in high wind

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
Thanks, it is a problem, no issue with that.
I think I'd choose the biggest clearing in the woods with the smallest trees around.. or better still, have a secondary safe space, more like scrubland i could move to temporarily, if it was me.

Reactions: Toddy

n00b

Forager
Aug 7, 2023
-
Yeah that's a good idea. It's getting to the point where I don't feel safe sleeping in the woods at all any more - especially with this news (to me) of ash dieback - which is sad because that's what woods are for isn't it??
Today I saw a huge beech that looks like it fell in the weekends wind. That was on a slope a bit of a walk away, I'm on the flat. But I was in my tent when a big branch fell about 20 metres away - I heard that. In another wood - I think I mentioned in this thread earlier - a massive fir treetop fell within ten metres of my tent. I look up at the treetops often with great apprehesion... Where I am seems kind of ok. But I want to leave as soon as I finish the hut I'm building. I miss the open moors with just the danger of meteorites and plane engines falling on me!

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Well that does add some weight to your opinion. For what it's worth to this thread, I've been living in the woods continuously for years - that's why I'm asking. We can all agree it's safer not to be in the woods on a windy day. I'm not disputing that. I think this thread could be a valuable resource if we get past that and share ideas for at least minimising the risk even though it may remain high.

How about cargo nets ?
Those stretchy things with hooks on the end for tieing down assorted stuff on car roofs or pick up truck backs.

I don't think good ones would be cheap though.

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
There is no doubt that during winter storms is realy not a great time to be in the woods, especially alone, as there is no help if disaster happens. With that many close calls, I'd realy seriously be looking at somewhere safer to be, rather trying to tie ropes above your camp. I realy don't think they would be at all effective . You'd need a big serious rope net above you, and even then, tie outs could snap with sudden weight loads, tipping the whole load onto you anyway.
I realy think it's a false sense of security, which could end up bad.
The best option is safer ground, scrub and low brush rather than big trees. I know in a weird way you feel more protected from the wind "inland" but you are only swopping one uncomfortable problem for another potentially more dangerous one.
Stay safe.

n00b

Forager
Aug 7, 2023
-
Thanks toddy, I considered a net too and came to same conclusion that a good one is too expensive and also too bulky - but perhaps a strategy for more permanent stays.

I realy think it's a false sense of security, which could end up bad.
Yeah that's a good point too, there's no way of knowing from the ground whether a branch or treetop or whole tree will fall. Even if it falls away from you I suppose the roots coming up from underground could do some damage.

Last edited:

n00b

Forager
Aug 7, 2023
-
I did stay out of the woods for the worst of the wind this weekend. That's probably when the huge beech fell otherwise I would have heard it, that would've been memorable.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I know that in the past the folks who had to work and live in the woods used to pull over the tops of saplings and lash them together. Those eventually became 'benders' made over hazel and willow rods with a tarp tied down over them.
Bodgers, bark peelers, charcoal makers, copicers, swine herders, they all lived in the woods they worked in.
Even the folks who live in South American jungles, and the African pygmies who live in Africa's woods make those kind of 'huts'.

Here those woodlands were actively managed though, copicing is an old art of long provenance. Trees grown for timber other than rods, Oak, Elm, etc., those aren't so likely to drop like Beech can do, nor as likely to go down in windrows like plantation pine.
Not saying they don't crack or fall, because they do, but they're not so liable, iimmc ?

I think Woody girl's suggestion about a clearing among smaller stuff is probably your best bet if you have to be there.

I do think being aware is the best you can do if you can't get out of it.

bearbait

Yeah that's a good idea. It's getting to the point where I don't feel safe sleeping in the woods at all any more - especially with this news (to me) of ash dieback - which is sad because that's what woods are for isn't it??...
It's not just Ash dieback (and Beeches) to worry about: for example, the Grey Squirrels have brutalised many (most) of the Silver Birches in my woodland, stripping the bark around the whole tree in great lengths. As the top of the trees die parts of them are getting blown down in the wind / gales.

Reactions: Toddy and n00b

n00b

Forager
Aug 7, 2023
-

n00b

Forager
Aug 7, 2023
-
I know that in the past the folks who had to work and live in the woods used to pull over the tops of saplings and lash them together.
That's basically what I'm building but not for protection!

n00b

Forager
Aug 7, 2023
-
It's not just Ash dieback (and Beeches) to worry about: for example, the Grey Squirrels have brutalised many (most) of the Silver Birches in my woodland, stripping the bark around the whole tree in great lengths. As the top of the trees die parts of them are getting blown down in the wind / gales.
Good to know. Do they eat it?

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
If you are feeling nervous in the woods about the trees falling, then listen to your gut feelings. They are trying to tell you something.
Rather than try to mitigate the situation with a flimsy, and probably useless idea, in the hope you'll keep safe, move to a safer spot. You know it makes sense deep inside.
As Toddy said. People who lived in benders etc mostly lived in well managed coppice woodlands, rather than conifer plantations, and big tree woods, so there wasn't so much of a risk of big trees falling on them.

Reactions: Pattree and Toddy

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE