Bushcraft tools that could be classed as weapons?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

philipb

Forager
Feb 20, 2016
wales
Knives, axes ect are not legal to carry without a good reason. Now bushcraft activities are a genuine reason to have such items and most people will keep them out of site untill needed so will never get questioned.

But has anyone here had to explain such items. if so how did it go.

Are you allowed to bring such items on a ferry or fly with them in your hold luggage?

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
It depends on the rules the carrier have, if they say no then it doesn't matter how legal it might be.

Having said that lots of folks on here have travelled with sharps without any issue so you need to check what rules your carrier has.

Tantalus

May 10, 2004
Galashiels
Far as I can remember, the railways have been ruled as private property by the courts. As such they are perfectly allowed to set what items they will allow on their property, and that the police will enforce this for them (or the transport police).
Assuming this is the same for ferries and planes.

Interesting though , you CAN transport firearms as long as you ask ahead and of course transport them in a way that the company approves.

As others have said, the message is to ask ahead and do not just assume it will be allowed.

Reactions: Toddy

Springchicken

Aug 29, 2005
Northants.
The problem is that, in the wrong hands, pretty much anything can be used as, and so become a weapon. The majority of knives and axes that we use are obvious candidates for such labelling so maybe more time and effort should be spent educating people that, in bushcraft, sharp items are only ever tools, never weapons.

When I have taught bushcraft to younger kids, I establish that idea of a knife being a tool from the off. They understand that very quickly and it is noticeable how the mystique of the knife and its negative associations vanish. I don't know whether it's related but there are fewer kids cutting themselves under the 'knife as tool' regime.

This doesn't really answer the original post but I thought it worth mentioning. Education is the key - for companies and individuals.

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
Bushcraft tools and gear that can be weaponised:
  • spud
  • Froe
  • auger
  • mallet
  • tent peg
  • entrenching tool
  • spade
  • walking stick
  • canoe paddle
  • snares
  • guy lines
  • fishing line
  • Trangia
  • cast iron skillet
Edit: clearly not an exhaustive list. :lmao:

Last edited:
Reactions: Truli Lea

Bishop

Jan 25, 2014
Pencader
Are you allowed to bring such items on a ferry or fly with them in your hold luggage?
Yes, no and it depends on carrier & destination
and quite probably how suspicious you look.

Ryanair will let you have an axe in checked luggage but not a catapult.
SAS air allows sharp and/or pointy things as "Sporting Equipment" with prior approval but the Potassium Permanginate in a fire kit is strictly prohibited.
Air France is ok with knives, axes, bows, harpoons, replica firearms etc in checked baggage with no prior approval. They also say you are not allowed to have blood in the cabin, not sure how that works... anyhow
Euro Tunnel, UK rules no surprise, clear as mud. No knife bigger than 3" but Fencing épées, foils and sabres must be in a locked box. However swords are forbidden.

Ask well in advance, record everything and be prepared to miss your flight. The rules are deliberately confusing and there's no point arguing with front line staff.

Reactions: Nic Le Becheur

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
  • spud
  • Froe
  • auger
  • mallet
  • tent peg
  • entrenching tool
  • spade
  • walking stick
  • canoe paddle
  • snares
  • guy lines
  • fishing line
  • Trangia
  • cast iron skillet
One of the Scottish members on here was rather upset when flying back from the Bushmoot he had a load of paracord confiscated from his carry on because, to quote the security bod, "it could be used to immobilised the crew" :rolleyes:

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
  • spud
  • Froe
  • auger
  • mallet
  • tent peg
  • entrenching tool
  • spade
  • walking stick
  • canoe paddle
  • snares
  • guy lines
  • fishing line
  • Trangia
  • cast iron skillet

+
  • Tent poles
  • Bow saw
  • Folding saw
  • Shovel
  • Lighter (fuel and lighter)
  • Torch (especially anything that says 'tactical' on it :))
  • Titanium spork
  • Plastic food/rubbish bags

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
I wonder if my 2D cell maglight torch would be a problem? It's darn heavy and could knock someone out,.. or worse, no problem !
I don't often go abroad, and have no intention of doing so in the near future, so these rules won't realy affect me.
When I went to Sweden for a winter bushcraft a fair few years ago, I put everything in my hold luggage, (hard case) and only took stuff I wouldn't worry too much loosing if push came to shove.
No problems at all uk side, but on the way home, Swedish customs queried a large candle as my cabin bag went through the x ray, untill I showed them it realy was only an ikea candle! :)

Reactions: gg012
Feb 12, 2024
Antrim
Watch Black Belt Barrister on YT he is very accurate and explains the law clearly. He also has a number of videos worth watching.

Not to sound righteous in any way, but as a community we have a responsibility to know the law, respect it and be ambassadors for safe sharp tool use and ownership, because we are only one or two d**ckheads away from changing the laws.

First thing is knowing the difference between legal carry and justified use. Any "non-locking" folding blade under 3 inch is legal to carry without justification, think slip joints like Swiss army knife. Any fixed blade any size is NOT legal to carry without reasonable justification, incumbent on you to demonstrate. E.G a carpet fitter has a Stanley blade and is stopped in his van between jobs, justifiable. Same carpet fitter walks into Tesco with the blade and now he is outside the law. "I forgot it was in my pocket your honour" is not a reasonable excuse, however this also brings me onto the last but very very important point, your behaviour, appearance and general demeanor. If you draw attention to yourself, behave in an arrogant cocky or aggressive way you can bet you're getting locked up!! If you decide to bushcraft in a park near families and city folk you are risking it too. Finally, you should always be able to demonstrate that you tools are safely packed away and out of site.

Apologies for the lengthy post that might seem highly obvious to some. A lot of this is subjective and to protect yourself from falling on the wrong side of the law it is worth having the right mindset and taking a sensible approach. Knowledge is power.

Last thing. Most cops will apply the attitude test from the minute they interact with you. It's not hard to be calm and reasonable, even if you're uncomfortable with the boys in blue! Hope this helps anybody out.

Reactions: Mike313
My goodness, augurs, aren't they banned by the Geneva convention yet?
hollow point bullets are banned by the Geneva convention, too but "interestingly" are used in a lot of countries who signed by the police against (unarmed) civilians...

to get back on the subject of the thread: i had no issues transporting edged items in my check-in luggage (last time flying 2016) except south korean authorities playing with them -- as this caused damage to my gear on occasion i insisted on being present when my stuff got checked...
i once had a tin of beeswax confiscated on the "3rd leg" of a multiple- stopover flight and another time (beijing) a zippo shell without flint or fuel (guess the security guard needed a new zippo...) and the "sparker" of an empty "Bic" with all the "tank" cut off...

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
One of the Scottish members on here was rather upset when flying back from the Bushmoot he had a load of paracord confiscated from his carry on because, to quote the security bod, "it could be used to immobilised the crew" :rolleyes:
I heard of somebody having all the cords off their hammock in their carry on confiscated “because they could use them to tie up stewardesses.” I have always wondered what would happen if one replied that while you like tying knots…what they are suggesting isn’t really your thing :naughty:

Suffolkrafter

Settler
Dec 25, 2019
Suffolk
  • spud
  • Froe
  • auger
  • mallet
  • tent peg
  • entrenching tool
  • spade
  • walking stick
  • canoe paddle
  • snares
  • guy lines
  • fishing line
  • Trangia
  • cast iron skillet
Edit: clearly not an exhaustive list. :lmao:
I think I'd quite enjoy seeing two people trying to fight with trangias. I guess you could wear them as helmets?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE