For the old and bold amongst us!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Greg

Jul 16, 2006
Pembrokeshire
VP - Voice Procedure
NAAFI - This is our version of your PX (NAAFI break is a morning rest period where most of us would go to the NAAFI for a coffee and an Egg Banjo for example)
CTR - Close Target Recce

Is that better.:D

JDWilts

Aug 6, 2004
South West
VP = Verbally Polished
NAAFI = Normally After Ale Fight Instigates
CTR = Carefull Tipeetoe Review

It missed:

The need to constantly find pointless alternatives to established anacronyms or has that now ABC'd?

mwelch8404

Sep 14, 2004
Cedar City, Utah, USA
CTR - Close Target Recce

Ahhh, what snake eaters do - poopin and snoopin. (Site, area or point recon)

AMF - Allied Mobile Force aka Another Military F**kup:D[/QUOTE

Kinda like Joint Ops. or, as we used to say, "Joint Army-Navy F**up," better known by the acronyn JANFU.

In the Navy/Marines the junk food/px run was known as a Pogey Bait run. No I have no idea where that started.

Thanks for the translations from English to American.

In the Army I was a Redleg - better known as an Artilleryman. "Artillery lends dignity to what would otherwise be a bloody brawl."

Greg

Jul 16, 2006
Pembrokeshire
In the Army I was a Redleg - better known as an Artilleryman. "Artillery lends dignity to what would otherwise be a bloody brawl."

Radio DJ: "So what music do you like soldier?"

Artillery Guy: "Anything, just play it loud OK!!"
:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:
(Robin Williams - Good Morning Vietnam.)

Damascus

Native
Dec 3, 2005
Norwich
Sad or what, had a bloody good laugh. Been out twenty years and still think the same, bloody civvies don't speak real English.

All I can say is the problem is perminent and one must adjust as best as possible, I find just humuring them when they don't understand.

Maybe we should all start up self help group, thats how all the touchy feelly people do things so we can express our inner feelings, bloody civvies.

So just hang in there, all here to help!!!!!!!:lmao:

crazyclimber

Need to contact Admin...
Jul 20, 2007
UK / Qatar
haha. God it was shocking how much of that is true. "Say again", "Roger", clock codes, full hand pointing, the CTRs - it's subconscious I tell you!

P.S. get up there you wimps!...

"Should any man dare break this ritual, and despite talking to the prettiest of girls - as we would like to do, if it weren't for thefact we tend to chew our own tongues and dribble - he is clearly gay!"

Pah! Call yourself men?!! ;)

Greg

Jul 16, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Me: Hey look at that bird!
Wife: Where?
Me: 3 o'clock, 20m, lone tree, half way up branch, bird on branch, RAPID!! Oh better not go that far! But do you see it.

I can't get away from it my last unit is only a few miles up the road and I see old mates of mine every week, even the Obvious is coming round to the lingo now aswell - Its that bad, but good obviously!! I can't have her being a civvi all her life now can I.....:rolleyes:
She still looks at me funny when I tell my son to get his gear squared away.:D

oldsoldier

Forager
Jan 29, 2007
MA
Spamel, thats hilarious!!! It applies over here too (terminology is a little different)!
A couple of things forgotten:
You automatically scan for the fastest way out of a building.
You never have your back towards an entrance.
You always look at the "jock" in the bar, and laugh to your buddies about "gym muscles".
When with civvie friends in inclement weather, you tell them to stop whining, shortly followed thereafter with a story that starts"When I was in the army, I remember a time..."
Stories told by army buddies will always trump ANY civvie story, any time, any place.

The thing I miss most though are the Spades (unofficial card game of the US Army) we'd play when we had downtime. That, and my sunflower seeds.

oldsoldier

Forager
Jan 29, 2007
MA
You know you've been Army Institutionalised when..........

... and other snappy bits of VP

You have to stop work at 10am for NAAFI break or else you might not make it to lunch....

Worse still, if it's a venue you haven't been to before, you turn up 15 minutes early to put in a CTR, in order that you are definitely there 5 minutes early.
QUOTE]

Although 4 yrs Navy (Corpsman with the Marines) and 13 yrs in the Army (no sea duty,) I'm a Yank, so could use a bit of translation on: VP, NAAFI, and CTR...

But the rest surely do fit.

To Americanize it: VP would most likely be gumflapping
NAAFI=PX/BX
CTR=recon the area.
Funny how, years later, I still do that. Paranoia, or good training? :)

Greg

Jul 16, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Spamel, thats hilarious!!! It applies over here too (terminology is a little different)!
A couple of things forgotten:

1)You automatically scan for the fastest way out of a building.
You never have your back towards an entrance

2)You always look at the "jock" in the bar, and laugh to your buddies about "gym muscles".

3)When with civvie friends in inclement weather, you tell them to stop whining, shortly followed thereafter with a story that starts"When I was in the army, I remember a time..."
Stories told by army buddies will always trump ANY civvie story, any time, any plac

4)The thing I miss most though are the Spades (unofficial card game of the US Army) we'd play when we had downtime.

1) Self preservation my friend!

2) If ever we saw someone like this we start shouting at each other trying to keep a straight face saying things like "I MUST BREAK YOU!" or "AROUND MY BEAUTIFUL BODY TWICE - GO", bloody gym queens.:D

3) That is so TRUE!:lmao:

4) We used to always end up playing strip poker with the Native girls, and funnily enough we always won, go figure!!:D

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Why has nobody mentioned "Uckers" yet?
The only board game that is a full contact sport.
Good call Spam, Air Force rules differ a little but not by much.
Gone are the days of going from work, to the bar and then straight to work again.

ATB, shed on

Ogri the trog

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE