For the old and bold amongst us!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Eric_Methven

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 20, 2005
Durham City, County Durham
It's weird isn't it. I'd forgotten about loads of this stuff. I've been out since 1984 and to this day I won't stand in front of a window if the room is lit and it's dark outside. I always pull the curtains before I put the lights on at home as well. It just shows you how thorough the training was, and it'll no doubt be with me till someone finds a skeleton in a hammock in the woods somewhere.

Eric

Tourist

Settler
Jun 15, 2007
Northants
Just read it............oooohh! How true.

I have the added problem of also mixing Plod speak and a bit of Bootie too (not that I was one I worked with them long nuff for it to rub off).

Did someone mention: Bimble; Tab; Yomp; Heads?

I get told off for marching when out shopping

Put myself on extra's if I don't not shave

Still do the ironing

At the age of 49 still do my BFT twice a year - don't larf I know a few who do.

Have more military and ex-military mates than civvy's.

I live at an address that is given out using the NATO phonetic alphabet.

First parade the car.

Bull my brogues.

A sad but full life ;-)))

Greg

Jul 16, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Hey I'm a loadmaster with ships on an oil refinery jetty, and when the vessels are approaching I tell all the rigging party to "STAND TO!":rolleyes:
Now thats sad, I didn't even realise I was doing it until I read this thread the other day.:eek:

Nichola

Jul 17, 2007
So funny! I've not been in the army, but i was laughing so much my husband came upstairs thinking that i was choking!!!

Eric_Methven

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 20, 2005
Durham City, County Durham
Ha ha! I know what you mean. I shouted 'Stand to' at a campsite once when a bunch of bikers invaded (drove their bikes revving loudly all around the tents). Nobody moved, so I just sat down again and played at being a sheeple. They went away, thank goodness.

Eric

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
I love the card games in the forces, the big one in the engineers is Yuka (not sure if that is how you spell it!) pronounced yoo-kah. It's basically trumps played with 9's up, with the exception of the 2 of spades, or benny, which is always the top card. The trumps suit sets which jack is higher than it's coloured brother, so if hearts is called, then it goes benny, jack hearts, jack diamond, ace hearts, king hearts, queen hearts, ten hearts, nine hearts as the trump order. Any suit can be called, so if the black suits are called, then the black jacks become the second and third cards in the trump run.

You play with a partner sat opposite diagonally from you, four players in altogether. Each player is dealt five cards and the idea is to win as many tricks as possible whilst scoring in a very complicated manner using the four and five number left from the deck of cards to show how many points you have!

Bloody complicated game, you have to play it to learn it, which means you lose a lot and buy loads of beer whilst getting slapped repeatedly by your partner and being called every derogatory name under the sun for screwing the game up! They call it character building!:D

Another firm favourite was Sh**head! I promise you, it is an actual game! You get dealt out equal number of cards, and the idea is you start off with whatever is laid and have to beat it as you go around. You can lay a group of cards of the same value, so if you have three threes' you can lay them all together. Some cards do special things, such as skip a player, reverse direction of play, clear the pile of cards, and all other manner of good stuff. If you can't beat the card laid down, you pick the whole pile up! You have six cards on the table that are played at the end, three face up that you can see, and three blind cards. It gets exciting at the end!

basically, you need to end the game without any cards in your hand, the last person playing gets repetadly called a sh**head by the remaining players and pointed at and ridiculed! he then deals. If you talk to him during the dealing, you become sh**head and take over dealing!

Great fun!:lmao:

Templar

Forager
Mar 14, 2006
Can Tho, Vietnam (Australian)
Hey Spamel,
Great post mate, I will admit that it just screams at me how much the service rubs off on people, I showed this one to "Niner" and she just punched me in the arm and said, "told you so!”
However, I will admit to being a little frightened by the number of "Breach Creatures" on here. :rolleyes:

No grid square is safe... theirs or ours!

Any way I'm off to inform the local Macca's on the correct drill to raise and lower the ANF, then I think I'll give my self a room inspection with out notice, followed by a bout of Cyclone training for good measure... Ahhhh the memories...

Delta 4 2 out...

Cheers,
Karl
:borgsmile

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Bloody complicated game, you have to play it to learn it, which means you lose a lot and buy loads of beer whilst getting slapped repeatedly by your partner and being called every derogatory name under the sun for screwing the game up! They call it character building!:D

Great fun!:lmao:

Hang on,
Thems the same rules for Uckers:confused:

Does anyone else cringe when a radio announcer says the word "contact!"

Stand Easy

Ogri the trog

dean4442

Nov 11, 2004
Wokingham UK
:AR15firin
Using repeat on the net!!!!!!!!!!!! surely that should be "say again" especially with all of the drop shorts we seem to have on here.

I'll get me coat :naughty:
Colin

None of them, I repeat, none of them apply to me.

Roger that?

No dramas!

:D

(I'm in silly mood!!):rolleyes:

maddave

Jan 2, 2004
Manchester UK
Oh Dear....

Oh dear oh dear oh dear

That's me tabbing back to the OP and hide meself behind a GPMG:You_Rock_

Great post, brings a lot back

Booty talk (Yomping, Galley etc) reminds me of when I was on a course at a Naval base, some years ago. One of my fellow Pongos (Taff) was - shall we say - a little over confident (gobby tw*t we used to call it!) and was constantly taking it out of the Matelots for their customs and traditions. One night we decided to hit the local town (yes it was a Thursday!) and Taff was despatched to the Guardroom to enquire as to the best places to go in the locale.
Before he went I briefed him thus: " Look mate - don't wind up the fish heads OK? Just be nice."
"OK, no worries mate" says Taff, and saunters up to the guardroom desk, behind which sits the largest soldier, sailor or airman you have ever seen (sailor in this case). I wait with bated breath for Taff to, at last, show some inter-service diplomacy. He says:
"Oi, Bluebeard! Where can I get me Horn Blown!"

We went out...Taff didn't.

peds8045

Sep 4, 2005
Telford, Shropshire
And don't forget, after a good night of shrafting, the military " have hangovers that would kill a civvy":lmao:

Had a few of them over the years...DD Tops anyone:D

oldsoldier

Forager
Jan 29, 2007
MA
Funny....the military is the only job that takes pride in you being able to do your job after a full nights drinking, 1/2 hour of sleep, and a 4 mile run :)
We used to do monday morning drunk runs...5 miles around the airfield. Ah, the days....

Greg

Jul 16, 2006
Pembrokeshire
There was one time during the summer,after I'd had a shed full the night before we had a CFT. Anyway we got to the halfway point and my OC says to me, "Cpl Hardman why aren't you sweating?" I replied to him saying "Well that will be due to the severe lack of water in my body from being out on the p**s lastnight SIR!", "OH!" He said
Bloody Muppet.:D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE