Dartmoor Meetup - Archive

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Raz

Nomad
Sep 3, 2003
all over
I work for the Tamar Otter Park. So HOPEFULLY if we come across any otter tracks I should recognise them!
Although otters were once endangered, most rivers capable of supporting them, are inhabited. We still have a release program, and as we find suitable territorys we will fill them. Although, we are at the point now where the wild otter population are capable of sustaining their numbers, even with the accidental death rate being fairly high.
Within 6-7 years we should be back up to normal levels.

falling rain

Native
Oct 17, 2003
Woodbury Devon
I've just realised this weekend is the spring bank holiday weekend
31st May being the bank holiday, so it may be wise to book with the campsite as there may well be some families there. The number is 01364 621258. I'm aiming to arrive early on the friday About 7am. When you enter the site, drive down the track parallel with the stream that will be on your right, keep going and there's a small field at the far end of the site. That's where I'll try to be, depending on if there's space. I'm sure we'll all make ourselves known to each other, Bushcrafter's gear is quite distinctive. I'll have my pink Swanni on !! :yikes:

Lithril

Administrator
Admin
Jan 23, 2004
Southampton, UK
I'm not actually sure that you can book the site, I think its just a case of turning up and hoping for the best, I'll get there early on the Friday and put up a big brown 6 man ridge tent, that way if we need the extra space for others I can quickly take it down and put out a lil 2 man dome :D

falling rain

Native
Oct 17, 2003
Woodbury Devon
I just called the campsite and you're right Lithril, no need to book.
The chap confirmed the price £2.50 per person per night. Very good price for such a nice location. and he confirmed fires are allowed :-D :bu:
For anyone who dosn't know the site, there are 2 nice little pubs in Widecombe itself which is about a mile walk from the site, and there's a little village shop to get supplies if you need them.
Womble that's a good idea about staying an extra night, however I may leave very early on the monday to avoid the traffic jams on the way home. Can't wait for it :super:

Wayne

Mod
Mod
Dec 7, 2003
West Sussex
www.forestknights.co.uk
I will be dropping SWMBO off in Exeter on route so will not be arriving till later on Friday. I will be in bright yellow Quazer old version wild country not Terra Nova.

Just look out for the short fat guy with the bright tent :)

maddave

Jan 2, 2004
Manchester UK
Aharrrgh Ya monkey!! Changing the date eh?? But it's all OK !! I can still come and do the weekend. Probably be arriving Friday night. and staying till Monday. :cool:

Wayne

Mod
Mod
Dec 7, 2003
West Sussex
www.forestknights.co.uk
Hi all.

I have just spent the weekend at the campsite. I thought i would locate it before the meet up. Beware it isn't sign posted i spent awhile driving around before asking the lady in the post office how to find it. driving south from Widecombe its the second on the left halfway between Widecome and sign posted to Buckland. Have to say its the best campsite i have stayed in for ages. can't complain at £2.50 a night. There was plenty of fire wood to be collected.

The site is basic but that shouldn't bother the hardened bushcrafter types. The hot water in the shower blockis metered and runs on 10p for the basin and 20p for the showers. Might be an idea to bring some soft loo paper as its the grease proof variety that reminds me of school. Ok i like my comforts.

I had a great weekend walking on the moor, a bit of scrambling and generally having a great time. My wife loved it as well.

Many Thanks for suggesting the site.

Lithril

Administrator
Admin
Jan 23, 2004
Southampton, UK
If anyones interested (and if I can find it again) theres an area quite close to the campsite called the boneyard which offers some great bouldering, may bring my boots and chalkbag and have a bit of a play.

Neil1

Oct 4, 2003
Sittingbourne, Kent
I know some nice ancient woodland nearby, theres a very good circular walk that take you past trout pools and thru some stunning scenery, I'll gladly lead a walk if you guys want?
Neil1

gb

Forager
Nov 4, 2003
Cornwall
i'll probably come along to this meet if thats ok. we'll end up taking over the campsite at this rate! lithril, do you mean bonehill rocks? its supposed to the UK's best bouldering area. its just up the road from Widecombe.

cheers gb

Lithril

Administrator
Admin
Jan 23, 2004
Southampton, UK
Bonehill, thats the ones, fantastic for bouldering, had a go last year and was impressed. Theres something for everyone there - especially me where I'm not exactly the smallest of people :oops:

jakunen

Native
Got a REALLY cheeky question to ask... :oops:
Looks like my shuvver can get me down to the meet :-D , but won't be able to get me back. :-(
Can any of you exceptionally kind, friendly, warm, generous and helpful <ok enough with scmooz already!> people get me and my pack to a train station after the meet?
It's a bloody long way to walk to Reading and I ain't dat fit anymore :cry: ...
The lucky samaritan will be renumerated with either some liquid refreshment/gourmet cooking during the weekend or if I'm really desperate I can ask igor to allow me into vault <bow, scrape, smarm>

Womble

Native
Sep 22, 2003
Aldershot, Hampshire, UK
Sorry

I'm really quite angry about the short notice that I've been landed with about this camp: I was told about it at the weekend at the same time as the Scouts themselves - even though it's been apperantly been in the planning works for some time.

I must admit that I'm currently not a happy bunny.

Lithril

Administrator
Admin
Jan 23, 2004
Southampton, UK
Jakunen when are you hoping to get there? I'm going down Friday morning, if you can get a train to Southampton I'll give you a lift there and back - only problem is that I'll be going back on Sunday night as I have to start work at 6 am on the Monday... yeah ok I don't get bank holidays off :twisted:

jakunen

Native
See I knew there was someone foolish, erm I mean kind enough out there!

Was planning on going down on the Friday too.
What sort of time were you thinking of heading off? It's only an hour from Reading to Southampton according to the NR website.
Was hoping to stay 'til Monday, but at least this way I actually make the meet.

Beer, meal or money for being me shuvver?

Lithril

Administrator
Admin
Jan 23, 2004
Southampton, UK
Just sent you a PM, not worried what time we leave, I've booked the Friday off of work anyway, not worried about money as I'm going down there anyway, quite honestly it'll be nice to have someone to talk to on the drive down there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE