Dartmoor

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

risby

Forager
Jun 21, 2005
dorset, uk
I've just spent the last couple of days on my own on Dartmoor, prior to visiting the Exeter Knife Show. All in all a glorious time was had: the weather was brilliant, the scenery was invigorating and solitude was welcome; the food was quite good too.

Dartmoor has great lumps of basalt dumped all over it, this is Saddle Tor between Bovey Tracy and Widecombe-in-the-moor:

SaddleTor.jpg

Driving away from that tor toward Widecombe-in-the-moor I spotted this newly born foal:
minuteoldfoal.jpg

note how other ponies congregate around it to protect the little mite. It's two-thirds covered in its caul and the mother still has the rest of it so hasn't yet ejected the placenta.

It took me six minutes to figure out how to operate the zoom on my new camera by which time the mother had licked off most of the caul but the foal had not yet attempted to stand:
sixminuteoldfoal.jpg

In about a days time that little foal will be up and about like this little sweety pie:

sweetypie.jpg

I stayed at Cockingford camp site which I believe many members may already know. It is completely unspoilt: a field with a river running through it, there's no shop, no fast food joint, just a washroom block and a couple of taps for drinking water. The farmer will sell you milk which you can keep cool in the stream but make sure the trolls don't steal it. They live here:

herebetrolls.jpg

I didn't spot any but the river running through the woodland is gorgeous:

silvanbliss.jpg

You can collect dead wood for your camp fire in the forest but some of the trees there just will not die:

oldtreesdontdie.jpg

So, after collecting firewood and catching wild sausages you can relax with a spot of lunch:

lunch.jpg

and show off your bushcrafty skills from the comfort of your armchair.

Reactions: Lithril

andyn

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 15, 2005
Hampshire
www.naturescraft.co.uk
Blimey, that brings back memories from Christmas....Glad you had a good break away Ris, and manage to trap thos wild sausages! I'm one very envious chappie. I love Dartmoor.

Jon Pickett said:
But What Troll !!!...................
Jon, Don't you remember...we spent most of the evening protecting our alcohol in the river from him. :)

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
andyn said:
Blimey, that brings back memories from Christmas....Glad you had a good break away Ris, and manage to trap thos wild sausages! I'm one very envious chappie. I love Dartmoor.

Jon, Don't you remember...we spent most of the evening protecting our alcohol in the river from him. :)

Trolls, alcohol in the river, are you guys trying to wind me up................Jon

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Love the pictures of the newborn foal. I've just spent the day with the kids t a safari park here in Germany, and there were all sorts of young animals diving about the place, including a newborn hefelump!! I'm a bit of an animal lover, so I liked your animal pictures even more than the scenic pics, and I love dartmoor, so that's saying something!

risby

Forager
Jun 21, 2005
dorset, uk
Spacemonkey said:
Can you actually camp IN the woods at Cockingford??

No, they are private woods. There is a permissive footpath but I believe that runs beside the wood so access to the wood is not explicitly allowed. My impression was that "custom and practice" allowed a blind eye to be turned to the access that was occurring to collect firewood but I guess if you wanted to camp there you would have to get explicit permission from the owner.

risby

Forager
Jun 21, 2005
dorset, uk
Ahjno said:
Oow nice!!
Do you've got more pics Risby? I'm off to Widecombe this summer :D

Note to self: don't forget sunglasses :cool: :D

Yes, I took loads of snaps as I'd bought a new, cheap, digital camera specifically for the trip. It has a panaramic mode and a 24 x zoom with which I experimented (not too successfully) and I took a few various little waterfalls in the wood which the camera warned me I shouldn't as the light was insufficient. I might post a couple more of the better ones tomorrow.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE