Dartmoor Christmas gathering

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

falling rain

Native
Oct 17, 2003
Woodbury Devon
Yesterday I called the extremely nice chap who owns the Cockingford campsite down in 'Widecombe on the moor' on Dartmoor and asked if some of us could use his site out of season (well if you don't ask you don't get!!) He said that would be fine as long as we keep tucked away and behave. I explained what we do and that put his mind at rest. He's agreed to let 15 of us go down there from Friday 9th - Sunday11th of December 2005
So to cut a long story short. Does anyone fancy a meet-up for some Christmas bushcraft and some Christmas cheer round the campfire in the evenings.
For those who havn't been there........It's a cracking llittle campsite in Widecombe valley about 1.5 miles S of Widecombe in the moor. Cost is £2.50 per person per night. We ARE allowed fires and there's a delightful little stream running through it. The chap told me the water should be on still in the shower/toilet block (depends on frosts) but the stream will provide if not. and best of all we'll have the place to ourselves. There's beautiful woodland all around and really lovely spot. There's also a lovely old village pub in Widecombe village which is a half hour walk going, and your guess is as good as mine coming back. The last time we went we all really enjoyed it.
So who's interested in getting away from the Christmas hussle for a weekend?

I will be happy to do a communal stew and dumplings on the camp fire in my extremely large cooking pot if everyone is up for that on the Saturday night (£1 donation for ingredients please.) (Which I'll get and bring down with me) if not, cook your own. I'm also happy to do a bowdrill workshop for those who want to learn this skill and maybe some navigation too. If anyone else would like to teach something or do a workshop that would be great - offers please.
I think that's pretty much all the details, but if you've got any questions please ask. As mentioned we'll have to stick to 15 people as that's what was agreed with the owner.

Cheers

moduser

Life Member
May 9, 2005
Farnborough, Hampshire
I'd love too but am already booked up that weekend :( :(

I expect to see excellent photo's and lengthy reports to ensure that I feel as sick as a pig for not going.

David

andyn

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 15, 2005
Hampshire
www.naturescraft.co.uk
i'd love to come but reckon i'll freeze my nats off :D

Not sure i have the right equipment for winter camping?

Do you reckon i would survive with:

Tent
Sleeping mat, highlander air filled jobbie
Nanok 0c - Could probably put another 1 season bag inside if that would be better
Blanket
Warm Clothes, hat, gloves
Boots and warm socks :D

Would a tent be better than a hammock and tarp in the winter?

Communial Stew sounds delightful :D

arctic hobo

Native
Oct 7, 2004
Devon *sigh*
www.dyrhaug.co.uk
C_Claycomb said:
I don't suppose that the beautiful surrounding woodland is available for hammock hanging?

Tents and pole bashas only?
'tis, there's a beautiful bit of woodland right next to the site, but it's private :(
So tents and pole bashas unless you're super-stealth and a bit illegal ;)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE