Dartmoor Meetup - Archive

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Status
Not open for further replies.

falling rain

Native
Oct 17, 2003
Woodbury Devon
I'm going to Dartmoor from the 14th - 17th May. Does anyone fancy a meet up ? Location will be Cockingford Campsite which is approx 2k SSW of Widecombe in the Moor. GR 717750 It's a little campsite with only toilets and showers as facilities and fires are allowed. There's a little stream running nearby and a small wooded area. A very nice spot !!
Probably be just practicing Bushcraft stuff, Go for a walk in the woods no definate agenda, just see what we can find, And learn from each other. There's also 2 nice pubs with in Widecombe itself.
I think it's about a fiver per night. I can't remember exactly but it's very reasonable I do remember.
You don't have to reply, just turn up. I'm sure we'll make ourselves known to each other as type of kit carried by bushcrafters is always a clue. I'll definately be there anyway.

RAPPLEBY2000

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 2, 2003
England
my wife is having a baby around that time :shock:

but thats a fantastic idea just the sort of attitude we need! :You_Rock_ :uu:

prehaps rather than a rose on the lapel prehaps a firesteel flint hanging on the tent door? :lol:
or how about a prefect example of a firebow (with demonstration!) :wink:

Adi007

Sep 3, 2003
Just checked it out on Memory-map and it looks like a super spot.

I'll have to check what i'm doing ... might be fun!

Raz

Nomad
Sep 3, 2003
all over
Difficult to predict that far in the future, but if time permits I'll come up for a day or two.

Lithril

Administrator
Admin
Jan 23, 2004
Southampton, UK
I've stayed in that campsite, really like, hopefully going back for a few trips this year so I'll definatley try to make it. Showers are on 20p slots which run for ages and its about £2.50 a night.

Adi007

Sep 3, 2003
Wow! £2.50! Boy, i've stayed at some dear places then!

Lithril said:
I've stayed in that campsite, really like, hopefully going back for a few trips this year so I'll definatley try to make it. Showers are on 20p slots which run for ages and its about £2.50 a night.

Lithril

Administrator
Admin
Jan 23, 2004
Southampton, UK
Yup hence the reason we'll be making several trips there this year, originally it was to do some bouldering but now hoping to blend in some bushcraft while I'm there.

falling rain

Native
Oct 17, 2003
Woodbury Devon
There's a lot of meet ups been suggested but of course not everyone can make it the same time as others for distance, or other reasons ( Well done on your forthcoming happy event Rappers2000. Hope everything goes well for you :) So I thought make a date/ Location, and whoever can make it great !! and whoever can't another time maybe. I'll be travelling down to Dartmoor from Oxford. Probably get there about 9 - 10 am on the friday and leave Sunday Midday. So it'd be great to have some company to practice a few things with, and a few jars in the evening.
It would be just nice to be around people with the same interests.
Glad some of you know the campsite I'm talking about, it's a good un for sure. So it was 2 and a half quid ? I remember it was cheap.

falling rain

Native
Oct 17, 2003
Woodbury Devon
Because I've got the brain of a stick insect I realised yesterday I'm booked in for a tracking course this weekend in May :oops: I,m really sorry guy's. The whole idea was to just go for it - pick a date and whoever can make it is welcome. I can't beleive I didn't check, so I'm going down on the 28th 29th and 30th May Instead. If anyone wants to come down then. Don't I feel like the TWIT ?!!
I'm really sorry about this, Especially Neil 1 and Womble who've already said they'll come and please feel free to lambast me for this oversight. - Doughnut !! [/img]

Lithril

Administrator
Admin
Jan 23, 2004
Southampton, UK
I still should be there, first weekend would have been interesting as it was my Bday (probably still would have gone though :p )

falling rain

Native
Oct 17, 2003
Woodbury Devon
Yes I'd be more than happy to share any knowledge I've got and hopefully learn a bit from any others who can make it. I've dabbled a bit with tracking already and had a go at most things involved with Bushcraft but I'm no expert in any of them. Even a little knowledge to someone who dosn't know anything about a given subject is worthwhile sharing and learning. I'm fairly good with navigation so if anyone wants me to do a bit on that I'd be most happy teach them.
I'm keen to learn about dealing with game and havn't had a lot of experience with that so if anyone wants to do a bit on that It'd be appreciated. I've made up some home made snares but havn't used them yet as I've no permission from any landowners to use them. My Whippets regularly catch Squirrels, rabbbits and the odd hare but they're usually too mangled to do anything with. I did have a rabbit caught by Lily (Whippet not wife )once that was in good condition but when I was gutting it I found the worlds longest tape worm inside it. Blooming enormous it was, Put me right off it did, so I chucked the whole thing away.
Anyway thanks for your replies and I,m really looking forward to it.

All the best

Womble

Native
Sep 22, 2003
Aldershot, Hampshire, UK
I'm having to check a few committments I have (the middle of may was fairly clear, but there was stuff I'm supposed to be doing - Scouty or otherwise - at the beginning or end - and I can't remember which!

However, if I'm free, I'm still keen to come along, and can share tracking course info with Falling Rain!

Womble

Native
Sep 22, 2003
Aldershot, Hampshire, UK
Falling (or anyone else who might be interested):

I've got some written-up notes - very basic ones - that I transcribed from the ones I took on the Woodlore Tracking course. Would you be interested in having a look at them?

There's nothing there that can't be found in books, and they are a bit dry to read, but if they might be helpful you're welcome to a copy.

Buckshot

Mod
Mod
Jan 19, 2004
Oxford
Womble said:
Falling (or anyone else who might be interested):

I've got some written-up notes - very basic ones - that I transcribed from the ones I took on the Woodlore Tracking course. Would you be interested in having a look at them?

There's nothing there that can't be found in books, and they are a bit dry to read, but if they might be helpful you're welcome to a copy.

I'd be very interested to have a copy of those please.

Unfortunately it's the wife's birthday end of May so I can't make the meet - have fun though :wink:

Cheers

Mark

falling rain

Native
Oct 17, 2003
Woodbury Devon
I wouldn't mind a copy too please womble. Gen up a bit before I go on the course.
I'll send you my e-mail adress
Could turn into a bit of a tracking meet up. There's loads to find down on Dartmoor, Finding Otter tracks would make my year !! Plenty of woodlands , streams and of course open moorland.
Looking forward to it :p

Status
Not open for further replies.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE