Compiling a belt kit - but what to include?

Asa Samuel

Native
May 6, 2009
St Austell.
I have read the entire thread. My point is that the situations were confusing, and the proposed 'survival' kit rendered entirely pointless.

Biker has now clarified that he will have all the stuff he needs to 'survive' in most situations he may well find himself in. Therefore, the 'belt-kit' scenario has become a bit of a laugh, and a hypothetical tiny kit-list, which is a bit different. The whole concept of a 'belt-kit' is surely that you grab the belt and you have a fighting chance as a result.

The idea of a small pouch, if taken as an extreme reduction of the kit should be able to supply you with water, food and shelter. Therefore, puritabs, snare, fishing line, paracord, lighter should suffice.

Although a smart-phone to access the experience on here may be of value. Obviously, unless I am the only one here, then your final hours will be spent with me being disagreeable, argumentative and pedantic:eek:

A 'belt-kit' is kit that you put on a belt. A 'belt survival kit' is kit that you put on a belt that will give you a 'fighting chance' and as far as I can see biker isn't looking for a 'belt survival kit' but actually looking for a 'handy stuff belt kit'.

Also, instead of being able to supply you with water, food and shelter; I thought the idea of a small pouch was to put small stuff in :rolleyes:

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland

Biker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Maggot at what point, in my first posting, did I say anything about compiling a "survival" pack? This isn't a survival pack it's a one pouch utility belt that Batman would wear covering a few basic needs. With the lighter I can make fire, with the magnifying glass I can see fine print. If I need a drink of water I can walk into a shop and buy a bottle or at worst find a stand pipe someplace.

This is not a Bug out Bag on a belt. Just a small iddy biddy tiny little pouch which contains a extra little things in there that might made my day a little easier if you had it with me rather than on the piano at home.

Am I being clear enough?

I DO NOT need a big sword to defend the refinery from The Lord Humungus and his biking marauders! Nor do I need a makeshift shelter because it obviously won't fit into a 2" x 2½ x 1" leather pouch on my belt with all the other stuff in there!

So will you puh-leeze lighten up. Thanks mate.

(deep breaths)

(Said ever so sweetly) I would like ideas for the contents of a small belt pouch that I have for things I might not have considered carrying already. Which are:

lighter, SAK, compass, small stub of a candle, keyring LED torch, magnifying glass, folding cash.

Thanks for then suggestions. I've taken some of them on board. Just bought 4 Fresnel lenses on eBay for under £4. Thanks Ged.
I already carry a wallet with debit card in it so why carry extra cash? I have pockets for that too. Thanks for the suggestion though, I might tuck €10 in there just for emergencies.
The SAK's in there because my EDC might not always in my pocket. It happens.
Mobile phone and spare battery? Normally a good idea except I hate the damn things and was glad when I left the UK and the dependance I'd developed for having to carry one 24/7. I carry a phone card now and use public phone boxes if I have to.
Water purification - See big sword paragragh above.

This is a real world pouch I'm trying to fill not a 70litre rucksack withte contents covering evey known apocolyptic scenario.

Thanks for reading.

I have read the entire thread. My point is that the situations were confusing, and the proposed 'survival' kit rendered entirely pointless.

Biker has now clarified that he will have all the stuff he needs to 'survive' in most situations he may well find himself in. Therefore, the 'belt-kit' scenario has become a bit of a laugh, and a hypothetical tiny kit-list, which is a bit different. The whole concept of a 'belt-kit' is surely that you grab the belt and you have a fighting chance as a result.

The idea of a small pouch, if taken as an extreme reduction of the kit should be able to supply you with water, food and shelter. Therefore, puritabs, snare, fishing line, paracord, lighter should suffice.

Although a smart-phone to access the experience on here may be of value. Obviously, unless I am the only one here, then your final hours will be spent with me being disagreeable, argumentative and pedantic:eek:

Last edited:

beenn

Banned
Nov 16, 2009
South Wales
Couple of paracetamol sometimes come in handy
Tweezers for splinters
maybe a little wet wipe like the ones they do in KFC :)

lab72

Native
Apr 6, 2010
west oxfordshire
button compass,condom,a mini bick lighter,vasaline tin with some cotton wool soaked in vasaline,paper money,plasters,small pencil and paper,short hank of para cord,small mirror,can of cider and a inflatible sheep.

Biker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Tweezers! good idea. Maybe the SAK has them but it's in the UK at the moment and I collect it next month Like the wetwipes idea. Might have to snaffle some of those Kentucky Fried Chicken finger licking good wipes. Painklillers I would make use of Ibrupofen (taken with water of course from the bottle I'd buy in the shop.

Maggot

Banned
Jun 3, 2011
Somerset
:lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao:
Many of my good friends are in phychiatric nursing as a career - all of them are barking mad as well - is it a job qualification so that you empathise well with the patients?

It definitely helps! It has often been said we are on the same poacher-gamekeeper continuum. If you are quick you train and become a nurse, if you aren't so quick you get admitted.

Maggot

Banned
Jun 3, 2011
Somerset
A bit bigger than a pouch, but think of the practical applications of this beauty!

I know it's made of carpet, but a nice leather version could be made I'm sure!

Last edited:

Totumpole

Native
Jan 16, 2011
Cairns, Australia
And needing to see that pesky metal splinter in my thumb using a fresnel

Speaking of splinters, I don't think anyone has mentioned a pair of tweezers? Unless you got some on you SAK.

I luke the idea of a small "entertainment pouch". Maybe the condom is a great idea in that respect, although you would need to find a chick that digs that utility belt look! :)

phaserrifle

Nomad
Jun 16, 2008
South of England
a little sewing kit, with a couple of saftey pins, a needle, some thread, and a couple of buttons of different sizes. comes in handy to stop the draughts if you snag your jacket on a bush, or fall over and put a hole in your trousers.

I also keep a couple of spare AA and AA batteries on me. handy for if your torch, camera, or other electrical doo-dads run out of power.

Buckshot

Mod
Mod
Jan 19, 2004
Oxford
Will a black rubbish bin liner fit in?
Slit it length ways for a quick shelter or cut 3 holes in it for a waterproof top. Wont win any style comps but there you go.
or you can sit on it or even use it as a rubbish bag!
The other thing to do is leave some space in there for other bits that you in time realise would be handy to have, let it evolve a bit

Mark

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE