Help me get my pack weight down

Barney Rubble

Settler
Sep 16, 2013
Rochester, Kent
youtube.com
Always interesting to see what others are taking out on their camps. Personally, I think there's considerable scope to reduce quite a bit of weight by ditching or switching out a few of those items listed. And then over time, you'll learn what works for you.

Despite some comments above stating otherwise, the Kelly Kettle at 470g really isn't that heavy at all. But I think you'd prefer the versatility and reduced bulk of a basic cook pot (ideally one that nests with a water bottle - A crusader cup and bottle combo or TBS 750ml pot and nalgene bottle for example). Add a trangia burner with trivet system and you'll be sorted.

Ditch the flasks in favour of a basic plastic bottle to reduce the bulk/weight of the flasks.

The OEX Salamander bivi might serve you well in the winter, but I'd swap it out for a basic British army goretex bivi. That'll save you approx 300-400 grams and you'll be unlikely to experience any condensation woes.

I'd ditch the wool roll mat and also the wool blanket from your list, you've already got sleeping kit covered so these seem like luxuries. Ditching one or both of these will save quite a lot of bulk and weight from your pack. For warm clothing go for a fleece, wool jumper and/or smock.

The FECSA sleep system is very good indeed, but in the middle of summer you almost certainly don't need to carry both sleeping bags. I'd go for the lightweight sleeping bag in the summer, but much will depend on how warm/cold you sleep. The medium bag on it's own should see you through much of the year in the UK though.

Ditch the small rucksack and sewing kit - not needed for an overnighter in the circumstances that you presented.

Moving on to the things that you'd contemplated adding to your kit: The multi-purpose cook pot - definitely worth doing in place of the kelly kettle. But don't bother with the axe as you can get by easily without it, maybe consider getting a Morakniv as an alternative. It'll be cheaper, lighter and much safer.

Keep at it though and enjoy your time outdoors.

Reactions: gibson 175

MikeeMiracle

Aug 2, 2019
Northampton
Personally the first thing I pack is my sleep system. This is usually a DD Superlight tarp, my Nemo Tensor Insulated sleep pad and a Snugpak Jungle Blanket, that's your basic sleep kit for around 2KG which is good down to around 5C. Aside from a chair at 1KG which is my only comfort item and a few liters of water everything else is optional.

Pack the essentials, the other kit you planned to pack, ask yourself if you really need it. Many people take tools and multiple versions for no reason. Do not take anything just because others do, that is where most fail.

Reactions: gibson 175

Astrochicken

Jan 15, 2024
LLanrwst
Just some thoughts:
  • Consider flat-pack water pouches rather than the flasks - lighter weight and can flat-pack when not in use. Eurohike used to do these in helpful 750ml sizes and mine has lasted years. It's not that awkward to clean either.
  • Nest items within other items as much as possible to reduce bulk (e.g. food rations inside the mug). It's the 'dead' space I get annoyed at when packing - air spaces in between items, or within fabrics like clothing or the sleeping bag. I know increased interest is in having a pouch / tin / container system per subject to keep alike items together in the same place, but this usually increases dead space within the pack. Perhaps a very light system for separating things but keep broadly similar things in one pouch - e.g. 1st aid, personal toiletries, hygiene items each in a small zip-lock, all of which live in a single heavier duty ripstop pouch?
  • Agree with others to leave the hatchet and bring a decent fixed-blade knife that can be waistbelt mounted - you will likely need a dangler to drop the belt loop of the knife sheath below the important waist strap/belt of your pack otherwise it will interfere and be really uncomfortable. I personally wouldn't be keen to split logs with the opinel.
  • Some knives (like my simple Hultafors OK4) has a little elastic slot on the outside of the sheath to shove a ferro-rod in, so if you belt-mount the knife, you can bring the ferro-rod with it.
  • Switch the position of certain items out of the pack - use thigh pockets on clothing for small / light items like the pad and pen. Granted this is more about redistributing the contents rather than making the total kit lighter, but it will reduce the amount in the pack itself. See what you might be able to hang on a simple cord around your neck too - I know some like their compass / small folding knife there as it keeps it accessible.
  • Agreed on dropping the wool blanket as others have said. An option that could be packed for heat retention is a foil 'space blanket' - they're pretty noisy so not great if you wanted to use when sleeping, but very small, light and helpful if weather turns colder when you're away.
  • For hygiene, consider castille liquid soap for hand washing - a little goes a long way, plus it works as shampoo, shower gel, laundry liquid and washing up liquid. You can get it un-fragranced and isn't overly expensive. It's a permanent feature for any trips I make.
  • For cooking, possibly you could get a single vessel for all purposes - a 750ml pot with foldout handle and maybe a bail arm, if this would be enough to cook in and also double up as a large mug (admittedly it would be a very big mug). Fire maple make a couple like this.
  • For cord, consider the weight / use - paracord 550 will handle most weights, but will take up more space / be heavier than say 2mm paracord, which still has 95kg breaking weight. Bank line is another option.
  • Useful items to consider which are small / low cost / light - a couple of carbide stanley knife blades, card protected and in duct tape - very sharp, can be important for first aid, helpful if you need a fine sharp point. Bring a small battery juicer for your phone, and ideally a USB plug-in light, as this gives your phone back-up charging plus the ability to be a second 'camp light'. Get an extendable tube fire-bellows. It weighs practically nothing, but is really useful at helping motivate a fire without you getting so close to the smoke / coals. Consider a buff as they can be pretty useful beyond neck / head warmth, incl. in an emergency as a temporary bandage.

And finally my UK-weather tip (appreciate it's not especially about your kit list) - if weather is uncertain and you may need your rainproof coat, keep it at the top of your pack unzipped and rolled up into its hood. It's far quicker to pull out of the pack and unravel and you don't need to unzip the front when the heavens open.

Hope some of this is useful.

Reactions: Billy-o

Pattree

Jul 19, 2023
UK
Now this it’s going to sound daft but it’s been so much a routine part of my kit for so long that I forgot to mention it.

The Kitchen Sink.

It depends on the shape of your rucksack but a smallish plastic washing up bowl weighs nearly nothing and takes no space at all when filled with your other kit. It has a million uses including a bath if you need one on a longer trip. It keeps everything close to where you are sitting by your stove and stuff can be chucked into it as you finish with it. It stops your stuff from getting muddy. If you are bivvying it can keep your boots handy and dry (with a rock on top)
You can even wash dishes in it!!!

Reactions: Ozmundo and GreyCat

Ozmundo

Jan 15, 2023
Sussex
I forgot I have one of these too and just how much I use it as an organiser, probably it’s most frequent use for me.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE