Compiling a belt kit - but what to include?

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
I reckon your probably nearly there matey, have you got a cork screw on your penknife?( I know you can push them in or shoe them out but it's nice to do it normal once in a while) I would really consider putting a reasonable amount of paper money in a little ziploc, takes up no room and is always welcome when you spot a nice bap but have left your wallet in the car, maybe a small turn of cotton threaded on a needle wrapped in a little scrap of leather, for the odd fix here and there, i tend to have these bits on me when ever out, I don't have a survival kit to carry about but just things to do odd jobs with or even just to play with when sat under a tree if out in the rain.

Feb 15, 2011
Elsewhere
I'd add a plastic bag ( carrier bag )as big as you've got space for.
You can sit on it, keep food off the ground, collect things in it, keep you dry in showers & if the worst came to the worst you could open it up & make an improvised shelter ( or part there of).& if you're really bored you can draw on it LOL. ( assuming you have a felt tip with you)

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
Have you got room for a freezer bag or two? You could maybe even put some of the stuff in them to keep moisture at bay but they take up a lot more room like that.

My emergency shelter is a sheet of thin polythene which usually sits at the bottom of my tail pack, but it probably wouldn't fit in your tin. I have a metallized polythene (or some such plastic) emergency bivi which would easily go in a tobacco tin but it would probably displace stuff from your small container.

A small ferro rod and a bit of a broken hacksaw blade for a striker would probably take up less space than the lighter.

Consider a Fresnel lens instead of a normal one, or even as well as. Optically they can be a bit dodgy, but they're flat, usually flexible plastic so can have more uses, and they're very light.

I know you said no provisions, but how about fish hooks and some line?

Spork?

Sun block, insect repellent, lip/insect bite salve, cotton buds?

Plastic gloves?

Digital multimeter?

Maggot

Banned
Jun 3, 2011
Somerset
Pointless exercise. If you walk out of the door, then get stuck, the only thing of use is a mobile. Otherwise nothing you could fit the pouch would be enough. The only thing that would be of any use, the water purification tablets, you have discounted as not needed. Water should always be your first consideration if you are in a survival situation. No shelter-cold and uncomfy, no water-dead.

The picture above has a heliograph mirror and some superglue. Completely random, you may as well put a small bible, some soap, a Tescos receipt and a golf ball in there.

If the other scenario, where you are off on a long drive, well, frankly, if there was a problem, why would leave your vehicle?

The whole thing strikes me as a worthless exercise, if you are serious, buy a small (10l) rucksack, and fill that with essentials. Much more worthwhile, and a whole lot less easy to lose.

In fact, I challenge anyone to come up with a scenario where a small tin of vaseline, a mirror, some superglue a small ratpack tin opener and a tiny first aid kit will be off any use at all. The inclusion of the tin opener alone suggests a tin somewhere, probably in your enormous backpack full of kit!

outpost31

Tenderfoot
Jan 7, 2009
scotland
Superglue great for cuts
Vaseline for minor burns and firelighting(it is petroleum based and works great in the damp)
A cotton wool ball smeared with vaseline is almost foolproof tinder,used it many times.

Last edited:
Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
"..In fact, I challenge anyone to come up with a scenario where a small tin of vaseline, a mirror, some superglue a small ratpack tin opener and a tiny first aid kit will be off any use at all. The inclusion of the tin opener alone suggests a tin somewhere, probably in your enormous backpack full of kit!.."

Hi Maggot.

The contents of that pouch are things that make my life a little more comfortable when I'm out and about and are certainly not intended to help me survive anything, thanks for your thoughts though. ;)

vaseline - skin protection, lip balm, stops chaffing on long walks. :eek:
mirror - getting insects and sawdust out of my eyes.
superglue - fixing stuff.
can opener - for when I don't have a Leatherman or SAK.
tiny first aid kit - for tiny injuries and ailments.

I have some enormous backpacks, sometimes they are full of kit however sometimes I don't take a backpack at all.

:)

Last edited:

bilmo-p5

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 5, 2010
west yorkshire
Pointless exercise. If you walk out of the door, then get stuck, the only thing of use is a mobile. Otherwise nothing you could fit the pouch would be enough. The only thing that would be of any use, the water purification tablets, you have discounted as not needed. Water should always be your first consideration if you are in a survival situation. No shelter-cold and uncomfy, no water-dead.

The picture above has a heliograph mirror and some superglue. Completely random, you may as well put a small bible, some soap, a Tescos receipt and a golf ball in there.

If the other scenario, where you are off on a long drive, well, frankly, if there was a problem, why would leave your vehicle?

The whole thing strikes me as a worthless exercise, if you are serious, buy a small (10l) rucksack, and fill that with essentials. Much more worthwhile, and a whole lot less easy to lose.

In fact, I challenge anyone to come up with a scenario where a small tin of vaseline, a mirror, some superglue a small ratpack tin opener and a tiny first aid kit will be off any use at all. The inclusion of the tin opener alone suggests a tin somewhere, probably in your enormous backpack full of kit!

You would do well to read thread in its entirety.

beenn

Banned
Nov 16, 2009
South Wales
Lighter, innertube, ducktape, small torch, small knife, 1 liter bag, purification tablets, p38 can opener, silver grippers, can/bottle opener, basic first aid, whistle, signal mirror :)

Last edited:
Feb 15, 2011
Elsewhere
Hi

The contents of that pouch are things that make my life a little more comfortable when I'm out and about and are certainly not intended to help me 'survive' anything, thanks for your thoughts though. ;)

vaseline - skin protection, lip balm, stops chaffing on long walks. :eek:
mirror - getting insects and sawdust out of my eyes.
superglue - fixing stuff.
can opener - for when I don't have a Leatherman or SAK.
tiny first aid kit - for tiny injuries and ailments.

Not a good idea to use vaseline or other petroleum jellies on your skin or lips as there is some concern about potential carcinogenic contaminants. e.g. http://www.health-report.co.uk/petroleum_petrolatum_health_concerns.htm

Sorry the link doesn't seem to work, there's plenty of info, just google "petroleum jelly toxic".

Last edited:

Biker

Maggot you're taking this survival thing far too literally. I have an emergency pack in the car. I have a small one in the tail section of my motorbike, this is a back up on my belt so I can light a fire, read fine print in the dark and know which way is North. while suking on an oxo cube.
Anything other than than and I'll use one of my other kits. As for water. Well I'm not exactly living in the middle of the Sahara desert so water could only be as far away as banging on someone's door and asking for a sip.

I'm not planning on doing a Tom Hanks in Castaway here nor am I looking be a Burt Gummer wannabe. Just looking for ideas other than my own for possible inclusion in a small belt pouch.

beenn

Banned
Nov 16, 2009
South Wales
Maggot you're taking this survival thing far too literally. I have an emergency pack in the car. I have a small one in the tail section of my motorbike, this is a back up on my belt so I can light a fire, read fine print in the dark and know which way is North. while suking on an oxo cube.
Anything other than than and I'll use one of my other kits. As for water. Well I'm not exactly living in the middle of the Sahara desert so water could only be as far away as banging on someone's door and asking for a sip.

I'm not planning on doing a Tom Hanks in Castaway here nor am I looking be a Burt Gummer wannabe. Just looking for ideas other than my own for possible inclusion in a small belt pouch.

Couldn't agree more, if we all done the same thing it would be boring!:)
Putting little kits together are handy and kills some time :D

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
We are all doomed anyway...
I would take a folded up print of Betty just to make my last minutes more bearable.....
"Bettys Bushcraft hints..... do not bite off more than you can chew....."
Now that has to inspire you to get the pencils out eh Biker? :D

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Cash, credit/debit card and mobile are top priority, the rest are toys really so pack a spare battery for the phone and listen to music. You could add a couple of sticking plasters and packet of chewing gum, half a pencil and a couple of sheets of rolled up paper I suppose. I've been to Normandy, its harsh mate, best pack a suicide pill, if you don't starve to death French music on your phone will drive you to needing one;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kFRuLFR91e4

Give me the pill.

bilmo-p5

Jul 5, 2010
west yorkshire
Cash, credit/debit card and mobile are top priority, the rest are toys really so pack a spare battery for the phone and listen to music. You could add a couple of sticking plasters and packet of chewing gum, half a pencil and a couple of sheets of rolled up paper I suppose. I've been to Normandy, its harsh mate, best pack a suicide pill, if you don't starve to death French music on your phone will drive you to needing one;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kFRuLFR91e4

Give me the pill.

emoticon-00102-bigsmile.gif

Biker

Ok listen up people. This is not the last line of defence or my only survival pack. Its a Oh I wish I had XXXX I could do with one of those right now.

I'm a non smoker so I wouldn't naturally carry a lighter with me. (Getting sparks to land in tinder still needs practice)
If the sun's not shining I'd like to know where North is
Whittling something to pass the time or tighten up a loose screw
And needing to see that pesky metal splinter in my thumb using a fresnel lens

Get it?

This is not the end of the world scenario kit I'm compiling

mountainm

Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
Ok listen up people. This is not the last line of defence or my only survival pack. Its a Oh I wish I had XXXX I could do with one of those right now.

I'm a non smoker so I wouldn't naturally carry a lighter with me. (Getting sparks to land in tinder still needs practice)
If the sun's not shining I'd like to know where North is
Whittling something to pass the time or tighten up a loose screw
And needing to see that pesky metal splinter in my thumb using a fresnel lens

Get it?

This is not the end of the world scenario kit I'm compiling

"this is not the end of the world" survival handbook?

Maggot

Banned
Jun 3, 2011
Somerset
You would do well to read thread in its entirety.

I have read the entire thread. My point is that the situations were confusing, and the proposed 'survival' kit rendered entirely pointless.

Biker has now clarified that he will have all the stuff he needs to 'survive' in most situations he may well find himself in. Therefore, the 'belt-kit' scenario has become a bit of a laugh, and a hypothetical tiny kit-list, which is a bit different. The whole concept of a 'belt-kit' is surely that you grab the belt and you have a fighting chance as a result.

The idea of a small pouch, if taken as an extreme reduction of the kit should be able to supply you with water, food and shelter. Therefore, puritabs, snare, fishing line, paracord, lighter should suffice.

Although a smart-phone to access the experience on here may be of value. Obviously, unless I am the only one here, then your final hours will be spent with me being disagreeable, argumentative and pedantic:eek:

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I have read the entire thread. My point is that the situations were confusing, and the proposed 'survival' kit rendered entirely pointless.

Biker has now clarified that he will have all the stuff he needs to 'survive' in most situations he may well find himself in. Therefore, the 'belt-kit' scenario has become a bit of a laugh, and a hypothetical tiny kit-list, which is a bit different. The whole concept of a 'belt-kit' is surely that you grab the belt and you have a fighting chance as a result.

The idea of a small pouch, if taken as an extreme reduction of the kit should be able to supply you with water, food and shelter. Therefore, puritabs, snare, fishing line, paracord, lighter should suffice.

Although a smart-phone to access the experience on here may be of value. Obviously, unless I am the only one here, then your final hours will be spent with me being disagreeable, argumentative and pedantic:eek:
:lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao:
Many of my good friends are in phychiatric nursing as a career - all of them are barking mad as well - is it a job qualification so that you empathise well with the patients?
When I used to give canoeing experience to folk recovering from mental health issues it was my business pertner who set the gig up and I met staff and clients all at the same time and it was not pointed out who was which.... for a couple of sessions I was convinced that one of the junior staff was a client......
Not a career path I would choose but I do respect the career - it is just all those who follow it do things like offering a bloke in a survival situation a diverting argumentative, pedantic, disagreeable last few minutes...
Love it!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE