Compiling a belt kit - but what to include?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Biker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Got myself a nice little leather belt pouch, just a bit smaller than a baccy tin. So I thought I'd fit a belt clip from an old mobile phone case on it as a sort of grab thing to loop on my belt as I go out the door "Just in case"

Now normally I have some idea of what to carry, but it seems I'm havng a brain fart as I'm dithering over what to include and what not. So far I have:

A disposable lighter
Small Swiss army knife
Button compass
A stub of a candle

And that's as far as I've got. I'm not looking to carry fish hooks and line, nor steel and striker etc. This is a basic novice, a get you out of a hole small kit.

Any suggestions for things you'd include? Must be able to fit into the space left after the contents above have been fitted in. I had considered a silver survival blanket but I doubt I'd be able to shoehorn that in anway.

Looking forward to seeing what you suggest. Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

Biker

Tobacco & Rizlas?

Don't smoke not planning on starting

Bit paracord or silmiar

Got my paracord bracelet.

Y'see what I mean? I have back ups of back ups. I'm debating whether not to carry the SAK simply because I have a small knife on my keyring but then I don't always go out with my keys. So I've included that anyway.

Last edited:

Biker

Beef stock cubes, the ones in foil, Its nice to have a hot beefy drink when considering your next move(not intended to be a joke)

hmmm yeah good point, except the fire part was mainly for warmth not for cooking on, als no cup. I figured I'd walk out if I had to. Oxo Beef stock cubes would be a good form of food though. I used to eat them like sweets. Lovely.

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
What are your considerations for it's use Dude? like stuck in traffic for a few hours or holed up under a tree during a storm? or making an impromptu overnighter a little more comfy? or just a selection of just encase nicknack's?

The Big Lebowski

Aug 11, 2010
Sunny Wales!
Was going to go with tinder... But the rubber scraps above is pretty bomb proof.

A small snap light (glowstick) and an emergency whistle, a couple of strong painkillers and a small sterile wound pad (you can improvise a FAK)

Shelter, heat, clean water and a means to repair myself would be high on my list, followed by navigation and contact (depending on situation)

al.

Biker

Thanks for the replies and suggestions. Perhaps I wasn't clear enough but Southey's point about what do I want it for is a good point. It's basically "a just in case" scenario

Picture the scene. I'm about to head out the door, either on a long drive (so the basic kit in the car would cover possible dramatics) but if I leave the car I might need something. I've decided to take a walk in the woods having seen a nice spot spend some me time at but not over night.

What I'm after are generalisations here but something that would cover pretty much all the bases but not so specific.

What I don't think I need is provisions, wherever I'll be I figure I won't be that far from a source of food or water. Water purification goes in the food and water needs, I seriously doubt I'd need such a thing for what I intend this kit to supply.

Shelter if it rains I'll get wet but I probably would have a coat with me, or a brolly at least. (street cred out the window there Biker!)

First aid kit's a good idea but then I don't plan on doing something that would warrent me carrying it, you don't carry a fist aid kit just to go to the shops. And if I do slice myself then other means of staunch the bleeding can be used.

Condom, one's always in my wallet. Along with cash and ID. (Requisite in France if you're driving a car. All documentation is a requirement by law.) Same with something to write with, I have a pen in my wallet. Backed up already, thanks.

I had thought of a magnifying glass because my eyesight at close up makes wearing glasses essential, so I think I'll throw in one of those in case I have to read fine print, like on a map, and I don't have my specs with me. It happens more often than you'd think.

Pain killers is a good idea, I get migraines so having those with me in a small grab pouch would save a lot of grief.

D'oh of course and LED torch!! Should have thought of that one. Thanks Tom!

Filling up nicely now and hopefully you get the idea of whay I'm after. John I'll check my emails in a sec', thanks in advance for that.

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
A small mirror to help you get insects out of your eyes, examine a head wound or even shave with. :)

I have a small stainless steel WW 2 heliograph in my belt pouch which does just the job, thats it sitting next to the leather pouch.

DSC_0120.jpg

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE