What is an every day carry really when you get down to it?

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
For me it is the tools of modern life security for your accommodation, making payment and communication. I don't even see things like keyring penknives or bottle openers or whatever as truly EDC but I accept others see a use for it.
I suspect that your modern life is very different to my modern life. I use my SAK several times a day. If I need to open a feed sack, trim a broken fruit tree branch of tighten an electric fence terminal, traipsing several hundred yards to fetch a tool is a colossal waste of time. When checking that all livestock are bedded, looking for a tool in an unlit barn or calling round to a neighbour, a pocket torch is essential (no pavements let alone street lights). A lighter to melt the ends of bailer twine, fire up the incinerator etc. rather than another long walk is also essential.

Minotaur

Native
Apr 27, 2005
Birmingham
The one that gets me is when they have a single coin in its own individual coin pouch.

I understand sentimental objects, but some of these people have a coin in a single coin pouch just because they want something to EDC.
Are you sure they are money and not challenge coins as a lot of Americans seem to carry them?
"EDC" is a habit from the Cubs and it just carried on from there however it was called being Prepared then. A lot of the old uniforms had lots of multiple uses.

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
I suspect that your modern life is very different to my modern life. I use my SAK several times a day. If I need to open a feed sack, trim a broken fruit tree branch of tighten an electric fence terminal, traipsing several hundred yards to fetch a tool is a colossal waste of time. When checking that all livestock are bedded, looking for a tool in an unlit barn or calling round to a neighbour, a pocket torch is essential (no pavements let alone street lights). A lighter to melt the ends of bailer twine, fire up the incinerator etc. rather than another long walk is also essential.
True, enough, I can see that you would carry more than I would in my garden when you are in your smallholding. But I also said "My view is that EDC is what is always in your pocketses when you leave your house or accomodation." IMHO what I carry when doing jobs at home and in my garden is not what I consider my EDC. I then carry what I need or might reasonably be expected to need for the intended jobs. This can be knives, pruning saws, secateurs, axe, mattocks, etc. I would not carry those when not on my property.

I also do not carry what I call my EDC when in the garden or in the house. I see EDC as what you have when not at home location when you are at home you would have access to everything you might need anyway. When out and about you are less likely to need what you need at home so do you carry the same? Do you need to carry the same?

All very much subjective of course. EDC seems to be different for everyone. Some see it as basic emergency kit others see it as survive the apocalypse items and others see it as more practical / modern life kit such as keys, phone, money, cards, etc. If a term has no single definition this is what you will get.

Reactions: Pattree

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I also do not carry what I call my EDC when in the garden or in the house. I see EDC as what you have when not at home location when you are at home you would have access to everything you might need anyway. When out and about you are less likely to need what you need at home so do you carry the same? Do you need to carry the same?

True, enough, I can see that you would carry more than I would in my garden when you are in your smallholding. But I also said "My view is that EDC is what is always in your pocketses when you leave your house or accomodation."
Yup, that's what I meant. If I'm dressed I have a knife, lighter & torch on me. In the fields, at a mates house, in the car. I'm not an office worker so that doesn't apply, but these are the things that I carry every day.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE