What did you buy today?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Last time I was flush I invested in one of those Polish Fighting Umbrellas as every other one I've had has bent when used as a walking stick or failed I some other way. So far it's lasted brilliantly and if the cloth goes they sell replacement covers to fit yourself. The videos of them being tested are impressive. Not sure about the martial art based on the thing , I lack the coordination for the fancy moves. The rubber ferule for the tip wares out quite quickly ( mine came witb two ) but camping shops do knock off leki tip covers for about 75p a pair thst fit spot on.

Atb

Tom

Currently abed with unfashionable Noro Virus, it seams alchahol based hand washes have no effect but at least the other coronvirus precautions has kept it down this last year,

Last edited:
Reactions: TeeDee

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Last time I was flush I invested in one of those Polish Fighting Umbrellas as every other one I've had has bent when used as a walking stick or failed I some other way. So far it's lasted brilliantly and if the cloth goes they sell replacement covers to fit yourself. The videos of them being tested are impressive. Not sure about the artial art based on the , I lack the coordination for the fancy moves. The rubber ferule for the tip wares out quite quickly ( mine ca e witb two ) but camping shops do knock off leki tip covers for about 75p a pair.

Atb

Tom

Currently abed with unfashionable Noro Virus, it seams alchahol based hand washes have no effect but at least the other coronvirus precautions has kept it down this last year,

Thats the one I've gone for. The older model rather than the double the price newer shorted model.

The only thing I intend on fighting is having a gust of wind shrink wrap my face with umbrella fabric.

Reactions: tombear

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
A Rennie the size of a settee cushion is what I should have bought! After dieting for more than six months I not so much fell off it as hurled myself off a cliff, Disney Lemming style yesterday and am now suffering for it...

The mother in law was very generous with her gift so I was able to indulge myself with a set of unissued Dutch army stainless steel mess tins from Military Mart and I findely found some one who could sell me one of those Swedish hunters frying pans that I was sniffing about for a supplier in the UK for earlier this year. OK they are still overseas but the postage is about what you pay in the UK, £3.99, and they didn't have the 21cm one with the folding handle but since the XL is only about two and a half inches bigger in diameter and I'd hardly be using it in my light weight kit anyway I thought what the hell! I'll make the obligatory roll top waxed canvas case for it, remove the screw for the handle and replace it with a peg on a chain so it can be carried disassembled. More than likely I'll leave the handle at home and whittle a new one as required. I'll probably end up turning a longer handle as well , like I've seen some use, I think the Myford can handle 30 inches.

I will keep my eye out for a small shovel head with about the same taper to the socket so the long handle can fit that as we'll.

The design of the hinge reminds me of some Roman and medieval frying pans which have a sliding collar to lock the pan handle open. Not a big deal in normal usage but it makes washing up easier and my non locking comedy sized Hillbilly frying pan has closed up unexpetedly a few times, pure user error, and nearly caused damage. Yeah about time I fitted a Collar to that.

I better restock on rice bran oil as that's the best stuff I've found for seasoning steel and I'm near out.

STABILOTHERM - Jägerpfanne XL mit Klappgriff Holz - Skillet​

Is what's coming in a couple of weeks, I wasn't going to try and spell any of that!

Lastly and not a actually ordered yet as I've only just heard back from the nice chap who makes them, a Ally lid to go on the Dutch steel messtins. Its the chap who does the Crusader lids on ebay and currently he only has those up for sales so I sent him a message and he can sort me out one to fit the large tin. I have a beat up Dutch Ally one which is the same size and the private purchase lid I have to fit on UK Ally tins isn't the right size. Pics when i have them.

Atb

Tom

Much sooner than I expected bearing the fact it was coming from overseas with the last stage being by My Hermes during a very busy period full of bank Holidays, the frying pan has just arrived.

Mind personally I've not had any trouble with My Hermes, since mid December I've sent 280 ebay sales through them and the worst I've had is a handful were delayed by a few days which upset a few whiney types who couldn't appreciate what the time of year it was and who had already formed a bad relationship with their local deliverers. In the same period I had much more trouble with some inbound Royal Mail deliveries which arrived very late, battered or in one case as a empty, ripped open jiffy bag that no one in the PO had noticed may have lost its contents. Thankfully it was nowt expensive and we are getting a full refund anyway. Sorry drifted off topic then.

The pan itself looks just the job, I'll get it seasoned asap, make a case, sort the handles and probably make a dedicated light weight folding trivet to fit over the folding flower type of portable hearth I have

20220103_124517.jpg

It arrived very well packed, about 4 layers of cardboard everywhere.

The Twizzlepegs arrived and they are somewhat disappointing, they aint as well finished or exactly like my original Arktis ones, which these were sold as, but until i get to use them abit and see if they are better than the definitely Chinese rip offs I bought and which broke I can't say I've actually been diddled. Incidentally if anyone has any spare original Twizzlepegs, with that word moulded into handle/ cross piece, in a dull olive colour, that they would sell, swap or let me have, please get in touch. They seam a bit Marmite so there may be some floating about unloved since the 80s and 90s.

Atb

Tom

Last edited:

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Much sooner than I expected bearing the fact it was coming from overseas with the last stage being by My Hermes during a very busy period full of bank Holidays, the frying pan has just arrived.

Mind personally I've not had any trouble with My Hermes, since mid December I've sent 280 ebay sales through them and the worst I've had is a handful were delayed by a few days which upset a few whiney types who couldn't appreciate what the time of year it was and who had already formed a bad relationship with their local deliverers. In the same period I had much more trouble with some inbound Royal Mail deliveries which arrived very late, battered or in one case as a empty, ripped open jiffy bag that no one in the PO had noticed may have lost its contents. Thankfully it was nowt expensive and we are getting a full refund anyway. Sorry drifted off topic then.

The pan itself looks just the job, I'll get it seasoned asap, make a case, sort the handles and probably make a dedicated light weight folding trivet to fit over the folding flower type of portable hearth I have

View attachment 71398

It arrived very well packed, about 4 layers of cardboard everywhere.
That skillet looks really good Tom, can you post a link to where you bought it from?

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Here it is, bit pricey but it's something i'll only buy once

I'm still waiting on the stainless steel Dutch messtins ordered at about the same time from just the other side of this county.

Atb

Tom

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Don't have a metric gauge but it's a little over 16 gauge but not quite 15 so 1.75mm? It's good Swedish steel so I don't think it will fail. If I need owt heavier I've still got me comedy sized Aussie Hillbilly frying pan or the lid's of the Southern Metal spinners camp ovens which must be 2 to 3 mill thick carbon steel.

Somebody is even stocking Bouderie Ovens in the UK now

But sadly not the camp ovens which I think are better, what with the rim to hold the coals on top.

Atb

Tom

PS got a 6 quid second hand copy of Jo Clews Camp Oven Cookery on its way. There is a second edition but it would cost at least 4 times as much.

Going to make some sweet fruit damper in the cooker, need the practice if ot the calories!
20220103_200438.jpg

It came out rather large, sultanas, dried cranberries, 2 cups of almond powder , one of milk powder, etc etc, rather suculant and moist...

Attachments

• 20220103_200438.jpg
    20220103_200438.jpg
    369.1 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
Reactions: Robson Valley

cbrdave

Dec 2, 2011
South East Kent.
This week I purchased a a BRS300T mini stove, A gas canister for stove, and a mini kettle,
today I took the 2 grandsons into Go outdoors and while they where testing out every single tent and seat in the store I ended up buying a Eurohike Cairns 2Dlx dome tent for £29, Reviews seemed ok and seemed a good value for money tent, I was hoping to find one in green but alas not so will probably pick up a cheap cover of some sort.
Will upgrade to something a bit more suitable to my needs after a while but this will do for now.

Attachments

• 20220104_172221.jpg
    20220104_172221.jpg
    368 KB · Views: 8
  • 20220104_172142.jpg
    20220104_172142.jpg
    285 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:

swotty

Apr 25, 2009
Somerset
Some of these....
2afdb7024af14a9ae38d203ffec58c38.jpg

For this .....

940f46d1b105a5e51cf79f484e0bf754.jpg

Sent from Somerset using magic

neoaliphant

Settler
Aug 24, 2009
Somerset
thanks for the heads-up :) the one i lost was the original "supertool" which isn't in production anymore :'( (the "surge" is one of my candidates for a replacement (together with its successor , the "supertool 300")) can't find it right now, but a while ago i watched a youtube clip of a woman who was on "Alone" and took a modified "surge" -- she seems to like to hear herself talking but she had some interesting ideas...
getting a new Leatherman has to wait until next year*
(and until i scrape the funds together), so there's no rush... :)

* still 2021 for 7more hours here :p
Yep surge is great
the signal isnt bad, but i didnt want the ferro rod

surge has really good scissors, the surge specific bit drivers are expensive, so ground down my own to fit, so much cheaper.

surge is really robust, some people say its heavy, in which case you might as well get a mini tool if you want to save weight.

i like the 2 large blades rather than 1 combo, i find myself using the serated for most jobs at home, the wire cutters are replaceable which is handy, theres a hidden lanyard loop you have to pull out isnt advertised, nice sheath holster, fits the bosch blades handily, the removable file/sharpening blade handy if need to touch up, really sharo out of the box, the main blade is a bit bigger than my mora id say, so id be happy using it as my main knife, it fits well in hand. dont get the black, the finish just rubs off. the pliers are really robust which is great, heavy duty.

Reactions: forrestdweller

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Stainless Steel mess tins arrived, unissued as promised but since they have been on a shelf in a Dutch Army warehouse since 09 I polished and then washed them inside and out.

20220105_174538.jpg

A bit lighter gauge than the Zebras etc I'm used to but I've not heard of anyone burning through one. I'm happy with them.

Atb

Tom

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Thrashed the 12VDC battery in the Suburban. Far too many cold starts and no more than 400 km total in 11 months.
-30C and it gave up the ghost.
Got the new one for $210.00 free on warranty but for a $40 installation check.

Two spools of braided green line, 265 lb and 175 lb. Expect them to be a lot like #18 and #22 tarred nylon. Whipping for crooked knife blades and assembly of Tlingit/Tsimshian/Haida halibut fishing hooks.

Reactions: punkrockcaveman

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE