What did you buy today?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Big purchase this weekend was a garmin fenix 6 multisport watch. I'm using it as motivation to exercise. More than I intended to spend but about £200 off what most other places sell them for. Not bushcraft but it's got useful gps and ABC functions.

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Had some unexpected success on ebay so ordered a BCB folding cot/ bed from Heinnie Haynes , the issue sort. Didn' t fancy a second hand for once and couldn't find a unissued Dutch XL one new in the UK. I'm feeling my age so I thought why not when I dont have to carry it far. I've already got a new mossie net for it I picked up on spec years ago. There where unissued folding mattresses to go with floating around the surplus market a year or so back for under 20 quid a pop but I'm darned if I can find a source now.

Speaking of BCB I'm also waiting on a green version of the 58 pattern water bottle and mug, mainly to get the mug, to go with the crusader mug kit I'm rebuilding. On Amazon they are 7 or 8 quid a set new, ironically what paid for them ( well them and a lot more ) was a pair of used, mugless, 60s dated green bottles which evidentally very collectable now.

AtB

Tom

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
3 parcels arrived, the Spongs from Merk over in the US the green civy 1958 pat bottle and mug and the flexistove etc from MRE empire.

20211214_143252.jpg
The sprongs are just the job, there's a bit of flash on the spoon , just enough to offend the scale modeller in me so I'll scrape it off with a scalpel. Handily the bowl is a table spoon big so I can use it when baking to measure.

The green bottle seams well enough made, the mugs slightly smaller than the issue black jobs, I tried it on the ones I have. The bottle doesn't rattle anymore than the others in the crusader mug .

The folk at the MRE Empire chucked in their usual freebie, in this case a second tube of condensed milk. The Fruit Flavour Drink the wife picked, I hope to god its not the same stuff as "screech" as I can live with out her going hyper on me!

Atb

Tom

Last edited:

Hammock_man

May 15, 2008
kent
Just got a whole set of different size Fids to make whoopies and the like. Ok they are stainless steel HOLLOW knitting needles now but 5 mins with a Dremel and they are steel fids. £11 for the set.
fids800.jpg

Reactions: Wandering Fred

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Just got a whole set of different size Fids to make whoopies and the like. Ok they are stainless steel HOLLOW knitting needles now but 5 mins with a Dremel and they are steel fids. £11 for the set.
View attachment 71046

I swear... so many of the words you just used sounded straight off the street.... I still have no idea what you said. :)

Hammock_man

May 15, 2008
kent
Just read your comment and I really did LOL. A Fid is a blunt point hollow tube, used to pass cable down through the inner of a 2nd cable. This allow a loop to be formed from burying one end of a cable inside itself. This will lock tight under tension and stop any loss of strength due to knots. A whoppie sling makes use of this idea to make a hammock suspension system. { nowhere near as funny as your comments}
regards

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
The cot bed arrived, looks sturdy enough but is a bit noisy as it takes a while for the fabric to stretch in.

Does anyone know where you can get the thick folding mattress that goes with? A couple of years back they were all over for 15 to 20 quid a pop unissued, now I can't find any I the UK at all!

Atb

Tom

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE