What did you buy today?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Just yesterday ordered a Maxpedition EDC micro and the 3 Spyderco bugs from good ol' Heinnie!

What are the bugs like? LB are selling them but the smallest is out of stock. Which ONE bug would you most recommend as a knife to carry around with you day to day. IIRC thats an EDC!! I need (sorry want) an quality little knife for that. Got a cheap whitby locking folder (lost it) and a very cheap OD oddities one. Both locked which despite being less than 2" long blade is not legal without good reason. I want something that is legal without good reason. Afterall being office based I have no good reason for carrying a knife at all.

Which bug is legal without good reason to carry one and is the most useful? ALso is Lakeland Bushcraft or HH best to buy one from?

Tank

Aug 10, 2009
Witney, Oxfordshire
just ordered two books.

Bush-Craft-Kochanski-Mors-L-9781551051222.jpg

treebookcover.jpg

Smith28

Nomad
Nov 26, 2010
South East
Which bug is legal without good reason to carry one and is the most useful? ALso is Lakeland Bushcraft or HH best to buy one from?

I might make a thread review if there isn't one already. I first heard about them on this Youtube review: http://youtu.be/NyOC1kV5fqc. He does lots of interesting/helpful vids on all sorts of things outdoor/military/philosophy based.

As regards to legality, well they are all sub 3 inches and all slip-joints so I would say they are all legal. Up to you what you feel comfortable carrying though, I really wanted the "bug" - smallest one, to go on my keyrings for that "Oh damn I need to cut this and have no sharp" moment.. but I somehow added the other 2 to the basket and somehow bought them.. hmm.. :eek: I would say the overall design of them is pretty understated and not overly "dangerous" looking so they should be all pretty safe. Like I said, might make a review once I've got to know them a bit.

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
How small do they feel / look? The smallest looks about an inch long so looks not that useful except perhaps those times you might want to open a package, cut banding tape or something similar. I'm thinking something about the size of those tiny Victorinx keyring knives but more useful and perhaps slightly bigger. Is that the bug or the one bigger?

I'd be interested in a review if you do one.

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Well the dentists assistant was rather tasty
smiley_wink_animated.gif
:rofl:

They always are. Its to make up for the thug of a dentist with his knee in your chest pulling your tooth out!!

I was brought to the chair a few years ago by a pretty assistant who I was chatting away nicely to when I heard a sound of someone being sick followed by a loud groan, a flush of a toilet, the sound of water being thrown at someone's face, a door opening and closing and footsteps round to the back of my chair. I looked over and it was a swarthy guy with water all down his front looking like **** and reaching fro the dental tools!! Turns out he's south african but at one point I was convinced he sounded Australian!! Which would be worse? A hung over white, S African or an Aussie?? Turns out he only got home at about 5am after the assistant took his car keys off him at the works Xmas night out and they had his home keys on. Had to break into the place to find his spare keys and then walk home at 4 in the morning.

Still, turns out he is a cracking dentist who is good at his job AND he's NHS too!!! Rare as hens teeth these days.

I do have sympathy, dentistry is never good. If the pain and drooling isn't bad enough the bill is!!

Well, which spyderco bug should I buy? I need a purchase to make.

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Last night I bought two McVities marmalade cakes from Booths. Seriously they are nice. They have orange shreds in the cake which is lovely and orangey. On top embedded in the cake are cubes of sugar for that crunch of sweetness on top of the orangey taste. Seriously I'm addicted to them right now.

Smith28

Nomad
Nov 26, 2010
South East
Well, which spyderco bug should I buy? I need a purchase to make.

They are all beautiful. To be honest, I was expecting to like the Bug (smallest) the most, but I prefer the Grasshopper the most (largest). The bug came sharp-ish, the Honeybee came quite sharp and the Grasshopper came wicked sharp.

I could not decide between each of them yet, so I'd recommend at this early stage to get all 3 :p Hell.. it's <£30 for 3 Spydercos.. amazing.

Oh, I made a pretty big purchase last night.. Bought an Edge Pro Apex. :eek: I am getting into sharps more and more and want a reliable and trustworthy sharpening system. After doing a lot of research, this one was the one. Special delivery so should come tomorrow hopefully!!!

CANNOT WAAAAIT for it to come. Christmas's come early for me. :christmas2:

Oh and the Maxped EDC micro is awesome. Fits nicely in a jeans back pocket and cargo side pockets. Will make a review some time soon after I've had some use.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Starting to get my food together for the Moot..... Bacon Grill and Whiskey.....

The whisky may not last that long though ......

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
I got two lots of fish and chips and a large doner kebab today. Not all for me but after another portion of fish and chips last night I'm getting lazy and probably fat. Trying to resist a spyderco bug and other kit. Will be getting my road tax in the next week or so. Worse tax ever I think. Hate a tax on using my car as I need to use it really, honest!!

Smith28

Nomad
Nov 26, 2010
South East
due to crack in water bottle I had to fork out for volvic.....not bad 89p for a reusable plastic bottle eh?

When you put it like that I feel rather silly having just recently put out £15 for a Klean Kanteen stainless bottle.

Also tonight I ordered Camelbak Omega 3L bladder, Camelbak 'tube-trap', Camelbak Hydro-link bite valve cover, drybag for FAK, field mirror & a Under Body Armour Zipper T-Shirt. All from "SurvivalAids". God I have to stop buying stuff. I've been meaning to get a bladder for ages though to go in my pack when hiking.. :theyareon

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE