Wax cotton canvas coats

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
"...The Wax Cag? I have one, very impressed, submarine zips and well put together..."

Some pictures please!

"...I got myself a Barbour Longshoreman early in the year , I believe they have no made them for many years ,but they do still come up on Ebay .Absolute heavyweight bombproof wax cag IMHO the ultimate wax coat..."

Your link doesn't work for me. Here are some that are online, I remember trying one of those on back in the eighties, as you say bomb proof.

k4KY4FS.png

xjVK8vi.png

:)

Last edited:

kato

Tenderfoot
Oct 18, 2006
NW England
Waxed Cotton is great for heavy rain when not doing too much but gets real sweaty once you start any real activity...
Here's my Barbour Cowen Commando just after I'd re-waxed it...I took the pic for a comp Barbour were running :)

DSC01120_zps424df6f0.jpg

@John Fenna nice smock Man...I have one of the SASS Kit ones they did in Ventile several years ago, bloody well made and still going strong ;)

woof

Apr 12, 2008
lincolnshire
Inspired by this thread(I have a stockman & a short drizabone)I was cruising ebay & saw that scruffs, of work clothes fame do a "waxy" doesn't look bad either & the price is good.

Rob

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
One of the things I love about my wax/oiled coats is the smell. Especially my old forestry one, the smell of hard work, wood smoke and assorted saps and resins from trees; Douglas fir being one of my faves. That and the heavier ones drape to your shape and fit like a tailored garment. That soft oiled rustle as you move quietly through the woods, and the noise the rain makes when it patters down to bead and run off in rivulets. Then there's the forgotten treasures that you come across in their pockets, leads from an old dog that's long gone, sticky sweets, seeds and interesting stones and the odd scribbled down phone number of goodness only who?

Yup I think it's time to get raking through the old waxed jackets hanging up in the hall press where it's cool.:eek:

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
One of the things I love about my wax/oiled coats is the smell. Especially my old forestry one, the smell of hard work, wood smoke and assorted saps and resins from trees; Douglas fir being one of my faves. That and the heavier ones drape to your shape and fit like a tailored garment. That soft oiled rustle as you move quietly through the woods, and the noise the rain makes when it patters down to bead and run off in rivulets. Then there's the forgotten treasures that you come across in their pockets, leads from an old dog that's long gone, sticky sweets, seeds and interesting stones and the odd scribbled down phone number of goodness only who?

Yup I think it's time to get raking through the old waxed jackets hanging up in the hall press where it's cool.:eek:

+1 to this.

John Dickson & Son of Frederick Street, Edinburgh is where I have bought all my Barbour jackets, the smell of the waxed clothing you walk through the door is quite pleasant.

:)

big_swede

Native
Sep 22, 2006
W Yorkshire
I do not agree. It is good if you are fairly static or if you have a heated shelter to dry out the garment. I like the wax cotton, but has very little vapour transport ability, and with that cotton lining it gets even worse. If someone would make one with a mesh lining instead it would probably be a lot better for more mobile adventures.

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
"...and with that cotton lining it gets even worse. If someone would make one with a mesh lining instead it would probably be a lot better for more mobile adventures..."

barbour_durham.jpg

Mine doesn't have a lining at all. :)

I take your point though, I wouldn't go traipsing around the hills with a big pack on while wearing one, but for the odd over nighter and a walk in the forest I like them.

Brynglas

I'm just looking at mynydd Barbour Beaufort jacket which I've had for almost twenty years, frayed cuffs, pockets and hem. Big repair to a gash in the back panel where I got caught up in a fence (long Story!). It's a great jacket for travelling, walks, fishing and shooting but I wouldn't consider taking it on any extended outdoor trips as it doesn't dry quickly, it's quite heavy and the seams and cut of the sleeves and yoke don't work well with a rucksack. Otherwise a fantastic coat that I'll keep wearing until it falls apart!

Chris the Cat

Jan 29, 2008
Exmoor
barbour_durham.jpg

Mine doesn't have a lining at all. :)

I take your point though, I wouldn't go traipsing around the hills with a big pack on while wearing one, but for the odd over nighter and a walk in the forest I like them.

Static, woodland camp, inclement weather.
Give me Wax cotton over wool any day!

Best.

C.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Static, woodland camp, inclement weather.
Give me Wax cotton over wool any day!

Best.

C.

I've layered the two with good results while on a deer stand (obviously static) A Pendleton shirt under a Barbour Beaufort jacket. It rarely gets cold enough for that combo here in Florida but when it does, it's great to have.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
When I was an Outdoor Skills Instructor, back in the day, unless we wore Ventile (the fully breathable weatherproof) the only "Waterproofs" were PU or Neoprene proofed nylon - which had the breathability of a balloon!
Compared to those fabric Waxed Cotton was highly breathable (OK - that is a gross exaggeration) - but Waxed Cotton did not have "The Look" and was thought of as for Farmers and Poachers only :)
Instructors often went for Henri LLoyd 8oz Neoprene Cags (available in Green Blue or Red!) with 4oz Neoprene Overtrousers (more flexible...) but you got just as wet in this kit, from condensation, as you would standing naked in the rain ... but you were warm and wet.
I had one of the first Gore-Tex jackets to be sold in Britain - but it was rubbish! It did as much to keep me dry as a Kleenex tissue would and cost about the same as Ventile.
Waxed Cotton out performs most of what we had as choice in those days - folk these days are spoilt roton with their MVT choices!
BUT - Waxed Cotton still has a great look for the outdoors and will outlast most things, getting more and more disreputable (or "homely") while still performing (unlike so many MVT fabrics) in the weather. That is why it is still popular with Farmers and Poachers .... and other assorted outdoorsmen!

The Smock I am planning will be for general wet weather wear - I can no longer do the mountain or long distance stuff - and I have just ordered my British Millerain Chera 8 375gms Waxed Cotton ... so I hope to get sewing soon!

big_swede

Native
Sep 22, 2006
W Yorkshire
When I was an Outdoor Skills Instructor, back in the day, unless we wore Ventile (the fully breathable weatherproof) the only "Waterproofs" were PU or Neoprene proofed nylon - which had the breathability of a balloon!
Compared to those fabric Waxed Cotton was highly breathable (OK - that is a gross exaggeration) - but Waxed Cotton did not have "The Look" and was thought of as for Farmers and Poachers only :)
Instructors often went for Henri LLoyd 8oz Neoprene Cags (available in Green Blue or Red!) with 4oz Neoprene Overtrousers (more flexible...) but you got just as wet in this kit, from condensation, as you would standing naked in the rain ... but you were warm and wet.
I had one of the first Gore-Tex jackets to be sold in Britain - but it was rubbish! It did as much to keep me dry as a Kleenex tissue would and cost about the same as Ventile.
Waxed Cotton out performs most of what we had as choice in those days - folk these days are spoilt roton with their MVT choices!
BUT - Waxed Cotton still has a great look for the outdoors and will outlast most things, getting more and more disreputable (or "homely") while still performing (unlike so many MVT fabrics) in the weather. That is why it is still popular with Farmers and Poachers .... and other assorted outdoorsmen!

The Smock I am planning will be for general wet weather wear - I can no longer do the mountain or long distance stuff - and I have just ordered my British Millerain Chera 8 375gms Waxed Cotton ... so I hope to get sewing soon!

I have the swatches from millerain. How did you reason to go with the quite sturdy chera 8 cloth? Is it toughness or some other thought behind your choice?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE